* Accessing old Bell labs URLs
@ 2019-10-18  8:26 Abhinav Rajagopalan
From: Abhinav Rajagopalan @ 2019-10-18  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi 9fans,

I was recently getting into the plan 9 system as a hobbyist, and was trying
to access the links provided for manuals which lead to the old Bell labs
URLs, such as for example: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/acme

But the hosts aren't resolvable when I do, and end up with dead ends.

Now I know that maybe the old URLs aren't probably active anymore due to
the officially defunct state of this old project, but is there any place
where the old pages can be accessed à la if it has been archived or similar
procedures done for saving the information so that we can have a look into
the system itself both for historical purposes as well as hobbyist
tinkering usage, in a similar vein as the plan9port or P9 from Userspace
related pages are active.

If anyone can lend some info or a hand on this matter, would be great.

Thank you

--

Abhinav Rajagopalan

* Re: [9fans] Accessing old Bell labs URLs
@ 2019-10-18  8:31 ` Mark van Atten
From: Mark van Atten @ 2019-10-18  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

https://9p.io/plan9/index.html

* Re: [9fans] Accessing old Bell labs URLs
@ 2019-10-18  8:34 ` Markus Sonderegger
From: Markus Sonderegger @ 2019-10-18  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you can find everything at http://9p.io

ex.: http://9p.io/magic/man2html/1/acme

@ 2019-10-18  8:43   ` Abhinav Rajagopalan
From: Abhinav Rajagopalan @ 2019-10-18  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ugh, I totally had it under my nose all along, missed the whole rerouting
thing as I'd been using 9p.io for other info and the sources, then missed
it when I went to P9 from Userspace which directed me to Bell labs, and
didn't think to go back to 9p.io

Sorry if I'd wasted your precious time.

Thanks everyone.

--

@ 2019-10-18  8:54     ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2019-10-18  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Since 9p.io is a complete mirror of plan9.bell-labs.com, any old URL
should be still available by replacing "plan9.bell-labs.com" with "9p.io".

You can send me an e-mail if there is any issue.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] Accessing old Bell labs URLs
@ 2019-10-18 11:49       ` Mat Kovach
From: Mat Kovach @ 2019-10-18 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I will confirm this. For a while there, I had plan9.bell-labs.com manually pointing to 9p.io in my home DNS setup. Just make things easier. I still add it to /etc/hosts on my systems with plan9port.

@ 2019-10-18  8:35 umbraticus
From: umbraticus @ 2019-10-18  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://9p.io is what you want. Your example: http://9p.io/magic/man2html/1/acme