* [9fans] x11
@ 2004-06-02 23:39 treilov
From: treilov @ 2004-06-02 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i have been using plan9 for a while now and love the
interface.  the power and consistency are fantastic.
i wanted to thank everybody who has contributed to plan9
for creating it.

not a plan9 question, but i am curious to know what the other folks on
the list use with x11 as a window manager?

https://www.hushmail.com/services.php?subloc=messenger&l=434

* Re: [9fans] x11
@ 2004-06-03  8:56 ` plan9
From: plan9 @ 2004-06-03  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

treilov@hush.com wrote:
> not a plan9 question, but i am curious to know what the other folks on
> the list use with x11 as a window manager?

rio, obviously

Robby

* Re: [9fans] X11
@ 2013-03-01 13:05       ` Comeau At9Fans
From: Comeau At9Fans @ 2013-03-01 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Joel C. Salomon <joelcsalomon@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM, dexen deVries <dexen.devries@gmail.com> wrote:
> > #define exit(status) do { exit(status); return 0; } while (0)
> What does kenc do with a void function attempting to return 0?

incompatible types: "VOID" and "INT" for op "RETURN"

There isn't a perfect solution considering existing code etc but
similarly can be diagnosed in Steve's case, more along the lines of:

warning: missing return statement at end of non-void function "foo"

--
Greg Comeau / 4.3.10.1 with C++0xisms now in beta!
Comeau C/C++ ONLINE ==>     http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout

* Re: [9fans] X11
@ 2013-03-01  4:11         ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2013-03-01  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

thanks steve

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] X11
@ 2013-02-28 19:46       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2013-02-28 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2013-02-28 18:10     ` Joel C. Salomon
From: Joel C. Salomon @ 2013-02-28 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM, dexen deVries <dexen.devries@gmail.com> wrote:
> #define exit(status) do { exit(status); return 0; } while (0)

What does kenc do with a void function attempting to return 0?

—Joel

* Re: [9fans] X11
@ 2013-02-28 17:19   ` dexen deVries
From: dexen deVries @ 2013-02-28 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thursday 28 of February 2013 14:21:08 Charles Forsyth wrote:
> ANSI C has a "_Noreturn" attribute that I started to implement,
> but I think I might fall back to a #pragma, which would be quicker to do.

another quick hack:

#define exit(status) do { exit(status); return 0; } while (0)

with do{}while() guarding against treating it as an expression.

--
dexen deVries

[[[↓][→]]]

* Re: [9fans] X11
@ 2013-02-28 14:21 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2013-02-28 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: Jeff Sickel

On 28 February 2013 14:15, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:

> I have rebuilt equis with the change in ape's select
> and it seems to work fine (tested with xlock and xterm only).
>
> this was not quite straightforward due to changes in ape, and
> the compiler becomming a little stricter.
>
> On this subject, what is the general feeling on integer
> type'ed functions which call exit() before falling off the
> end of the function?
>
> This is fairly common in X11 and I have just added a return 0 on
> the end to push the code through the compiler, but should the
> compiler be taught about this case?
>
> if so, it gets a bit nasty as this feature is named
> exit() under ape and exits() in native plan9.
>
> Personally I think falling of the end of a function
> is a bug and should be  fixed, but perhaps it should
> just be a warning rather than an error to make
> building foreign code simpler.
>
> -Steve

* [9fans] X11
@ 2013-02-28 14:15 Steve Simon