* Re: [9fans] acme question + diffs for kfs, fs and plumbing
@ 2002-07-09  9:37 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-07-09  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's ok if the name contains '?', it's just inconvenient but
it's ok. It's like that inconvenient "'chk" name I had.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2762 bytes --]

From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] acme question + diffs for kfs, fs and plumbing
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:28:57 +0200

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 10:42:04AM +0200, Fco.J.Ballesteros wrote:

> I'm renaming ' ' with ? in u9fs
> There's no problem doing that since there's no ?
> in outside file names.

There could be:

-rw-r--r--   1 lucio  staff         0 Jul  9 11:22 t?uch

produced by "touch t\?uch" on my NetBSD host.  This is from
"man 2 intro" on NetBSD 1.5.2:

     File Name
             Names consisting of up to 255 (MAXNAMELEN) characters may be used
             to name an ordinary file, special file, or directory.

             These characters may be selected from the set of all ASCII char-
             acter excluding 0 (NUL) and the ASCII code for `/' (slash).  (The
             parity bit, bit 7, must be 0.)

             Note that it is generally unwise to use `*', `?', `[' or `]' as
             part of file names because of the special meaning attached to
             these characters by the shell.

It needn't be up to date, but it's a safe indicator.

++L

* Re: [9fans] acme question + diffs for kfs, fs and plumbing
       [not found] ` <Fco.J.Ballesteros@Jul>
@ 2002-07-10 15:57   ` Dave
From: Dave @ 2002-07-10 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

...so clearly, there's no way to distinguish between a file 'a b' and a
file 'a␣b' in a remote filesystem if we replace ' ' with '␣' upon
importing to our system :-(

 - Dave

@ 2002-07-10  7:57 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-07-10  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There's no reason.
I though of using ☺, but I think it's more
usual in file names than ␣.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2148 bytes --]

From: Dave <dave@dave.tj>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 11:29:45 -0400 (EDT)

@ 2002-07-09 22:15         ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2002-07-09 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Copy Restriction:
	Check before you copy, otherwise some of them may be lost
Import Resrinction:
	Files containg spaces in name is harmful, so they may be
lost.
Export Restriction:
	Winland is against freedom, so some of files may be lost.

       [not found]     ` <"arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp"@Jul>
@ 2002-07-09 15:31       ` Dave
From: Dave @ 2002-07-09 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-09 15:29   ` Dave
From: Dave @ 2002-07-09 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-09 12:24 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-07-09 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The rune I was talking about is "open box, visible space"
(0x2423) I'm sorry, but I thought all of us could accept utf mails.
If there's ever such a rune being used in outside
systems, you can always pick a different one (still unused).

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1823 bytes --]

From: "matt" <matt@proweb.co.uk>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 13:05:30 +0100

>I'm renaming ' ' with â^У in u9fs
>There's no problem doing that since there's no â^У
>in outside file names.

can't see them either but "there is no" could possibly become "oops now
there is"?

* Re: [9fans] acme question + diffs for kfs, fs and plumbing
@ 2002-07-09 12:05     ` matt
From: matt @ 2002-07-09 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-09 11:23   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-07-09 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 1490 bytes --]

umm,

were you reading this from a unix machine? i think nemo meant that he's
replacing ' ' with a non-ascii rune in p9 (maybe your font
mistranslated it to '?' in the terminal?)...

here's what the original looked like:

I'm renaming ' ' with â^У in u9fs
There's no problem doing that since there's no â^У
in outside file names.

andrey (who thinks nemo's solution looks quite ok)

@ 2002-07-09 10:54           ` matt
From: matt @ 2002-07-09 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> There are only three characters from a foreign system that need
> translation: "%", "/" and " ".  Long filenames are already catered
> for in 4ed, perhaps we can extend "lnfs" to deal, optionally, with
> this translation.

is # a consideration?  It's a valid filename char on FreeBSD

* Re: [9fans] acme question + diffs for kfs, fs and plumbing
@ 2002-07-09 10:36         ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-07-09 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-09  9:43       ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2002-07-09  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-09  9:28 ` Lucio De Re
       [not found] ` <Fco.J.Ballesteros@Jul>
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-07-09  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-09  9:21     ` Lucio De Re
       [not found]     ` <"arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp"@Jul>
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-07-09  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 05:42:47PM +0900, arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp wrote:

> >What if files 'a b' and 'a_b' both exist on the foreign
> >system?
> Check before you copy, otherwise one is lost.
> This problem is always happen when one to one mapping is
> absent.

Well, for DOS and derivative works, "\" ought to be a perfect
translation <evil grin>.

For Unix, there doesn't seem to be a natural replacement for space.
We could use the suggestion of using URL-style encoding, where %
becomes reserved and _any_ special character can be represented as
%XX.  In fact, is there _any_ service for a foreign filesystem that
would defeat such a scheme?

Would such a shim need to be an option in "mount"?

++L

* Re: [9fans] acme question + diffs for kfs, fs and plumbing
@ 2002-07-09  8:42   ` arisawa
       [not found]     ` <"arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp"@Jul>
From: arisawa @ 2002-07-09  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-09  8:42 Fco.J.Ballesteros
       [not found] ` <Fco.J.Ballesteros@Jul>
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-07-09  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-09  8:40 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-07-09  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, but did an undo and will never redo it.
Had enough blanks for the rest of my life.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1381 bytes --]

From: arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue,  9 Jul 2002 17:22:03 +0900

I guess that someone (probably nemo) has already fixed acme
so that we can enter into '/n/c/My Document/' using mouse.
Or already fixed in official update?

Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9fans] acme question + diffs for kfs, fs and plumbing
@ 2002-07-09  8:22 ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2002-07-09  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-09  8:15 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-07-09  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-09  7:50 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-07-09  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-09  7:46 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-07-09  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just to clarify, I'm no longer pursuing blanks on Plan 9.
As a matter of fact, I never liked them. Now that I'm happy
to see that Rob does not want them on native files I can just
rename them in u9fs.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1485 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 09:38:32 +0900

>I would just like an acme window to be able to hold
>"/a/b x/d/e/f x"

Why, nemo, are you so eager to permit blank as a file name?
Does it come from European language nature?
IMHO:  our language, yes Japanese has no such blank as a delimiter
of words, so I have no such interest to that.  :-)

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] acme question + diffs for kfs, fs and plumbing
@ 2002-07-09  0:38 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-07-09  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-08 22:18   ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2002-07-08 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>...not even ... if you s/ /_/g all incoming filenames, you'll have
no
>way of distinguishing 'a b' from 'a_b' ... or am I wrong?
> - Dave
You misunderstand something.

@ 2002-07-08 20:58 ` Dave
From: Dave @ 2002-07-08 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-08 16:14 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-07-08 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 99% only.  You'd still have the problem of names that arrive surreptitiously,
> such as in tar files.

Expanding a bit....

This is why I decided (mea maxima culpa) to admit blanks in file names.
They show up, you don't know where from, and if the basic tools have
ways of coping (as opposed to being graceful and perfect in handling them)
you can get by without mystery error messages caused by the operating
system rejecting them deep down.

I think the setup is sufficient, and sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] acme question + diffs for kfs, fs and plumbing
@ 2002-07-08 16:07 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-07-08 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

99% only.  You'd still have the problem of names that arrive surreptitiously,
such as in tar files.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3446 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 89 bytes --]

Renaming them would get us quickly up to 100%, with no need
to fix anything. Am I wrong?

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1779 bytes --]

From: "rob pike, esq." <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 12:00:09 -0400

@ 2002-07-08 16:05 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-07-08 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Renaming them would get us quickly up to 100%, with no need
to fix anything. Am I wrong?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1779 bytes --]

From: "rob pike, esq." <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 12:00:09 -0400

@ 2002-07-08 16:00 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-07-08 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-08 15:51 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-07-08 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Glub! My first view of all this blank thing was just to forbid
them and maybe rename them just to avoid them (They make things more
complex for our programs).

But then I (mis)understood that the plan for the system was to give
them a chance; thus I tried to find a simple way to get them working.

Now that I finally see that the agreement is on
`blanks would mess up things', I think I'll just add them to isfrog and
rename them in u9fs (the only place were I get blanks into the system).

Thanks for your answer and sorry about the mess.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1319 bytes --]

From: "rob pike, esq." <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:42:05 -0400

> So all the effort to handle ' ' was just for foreign files?

Yes.  And that is the main reason I don't want to trash the
system to support blanks in file names.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] acme question + diffs for kfs, fs and plumbing
@ 2002-07-08 15:42 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-07-08 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-08 15:18 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-07-08 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

So all the effort to handle ' ' was just for foreign files?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1265 bytes --]

From: "rob pike, esq." <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:16:57 -0400

You don't want blanks in native files, I promise you.  The kfs changes
(at least) are ill-advised.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] acme question + diffs for kfs, fs and plumbing
@ 2002-07-08 15:16 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-07-08 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-08 15:16 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-07-08 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 05:10:00PM +0200, Fco.J.Ballesteros wrote:

> ??
>
> I would just like an acme window to be able to hold
> "/a/b x/d/e/f x"
> in its tag line. Currently, it would stop at the first
> blank and eat the rest of the file name. I'm not talking
> about metacharacters.
>
> I think that a couple of changes in wind.c could do the effect.

It would seem more consistent, in the tag _name_ to use quoting
<duck!>.

I was thinking of presenting the above as /a/b?x/d/e/f?x, but I wasn't
considering the tag name, I was thinking of a specification in the tag
tail.

++L

* Re: [9fans] acme question + diffs for kfs, fs and plumbing
@ 2002-07-08 15:10 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-07-08 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm not familiar with ACME's innards, but wouldn't it be more
> consistent to have ACME understand the "?" wild character in the
> tag?  Of course this has other drawbacks, but it strikes me as a good
> starting point for discussion.

??

@ 2002-07-08 15:05 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-07-08 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)