* [9fans] Failure to bootup after installation.
@ 2007-08-06 16:39 fouRmi
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: fouRmi @ 2007-08-06 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all

I've succeed in installing Plan 9 on VMWare Workstation. It tells that
"You can power off your computer freely...", and I did, fter i made
Plan 9 active. But when i disconnected the CD-ROM and resetted the
VMWare Station, it halted after it reached ""init: starting /bin/rc".
What should i do next? Are there any mistakes possible during the
process of the installation or the bootup?

PS: I can boot up the VMWare normally with the same Live CD.

Thanks.

Regards.
Orlando Sun

* Re: [9fans] Failure to bootup after installation.
@ 2007-08-06 17:02 ` Mahmoud AlGammal
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mahmoud AlGammal @ 2007-08-06 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Try changing the CD drive type to be SCSI instead of IDE in VMware.

--
Mahmoud AlGammal
http://blog.gammal.org/

* Re: [9fans] Failure to bootup after installation.
@ 2007-08-06 17:33   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-08-06 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm not 100% certain, but if you see 'init:...' it is passed the
bootstrap where the 'Legacy CD' setting would be a problem.  it sounds
like it is waiting on somehting like ipconfig.  i'm guessing (wag)
the nic for that vm is bridged but perhaps no dhcp server.

> Try changing the CD drive type to be SCSI instead of IDE in VMware.
>
> On 8/6/07, fouRmi <sunrui82@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I've succeed in installing Plan 9 on VMWare Workstation. It tells that
>> "You can power off your computer freely...", and I did, fter i made
>> Plan 9 active. But when i disconnected the CD-ROM and resetted the
>> VMWare Station, it halted after it reached ""init: starting /bin/rc".
>> What should i do next? Are there any mistakes possible during the
>> process of the installation or the bootup?
>>
>> PS: I can boot up the VMWare normally with the same Live CD.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Regards.
>> Orlando Sun
>>

> --
> Mahmoud AlGammal
> http://blog.gammal.org/

* [9fans] Re: Failure to bootup after installation.
@ 2007-08-08  9:10 ` fouRmi
From: fouRmi @ 2007-08-08  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Aug 7, 1:03 am, mahm...@gammal.org (Mahmoud AlGammal) wrote:
> Try changing the CD drive type to be SCSI instead of IDE in VMware.
>
> On 8/6/07, fouRmi <sunru...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, Mahmoud

I did as what you said, changed the CD drive type to SCSI. But it
doesn't work. Does it matter much with the boot up even after i
succeed in installing the Plan 9 on VMWare? By which means? Wish you
could show me more guidances. Thanks very much!

Anyhow, thanks for ur reply.

Regards.
Orlando Sun

* [9fans] Re: Failure to bootup after installation.
@ 2007-08-08  9:11   ` fouRmi
From: fouRmi @ 2007-08-08  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Aug 7, 1:34 am, 9...@9netics.com (Skip Tavakkolian) wrote:
> i'm not 100% certain, but if you see 'init:...' it is passed the
> bootstrap where the 'Legacy CD' setting would be a problem.  it sounds
> like it is waiting on somehting like ipconfig.  i'm guessing (wag)
> the nic for that vm is bridged but perhaps no dhcp server.

Hi, Skip

I found that before i install the Plan 9 on VMWare, there was a
message,

"init: starting /bin/rc
 /bin/dosssrv: serving #s/dos
 #P/i8253timerset: rc (vmware): can't open: '#P/i8253timerset'
permission denied"

What's that for?

Thanks for ur reply and patience.

@ 2007-08-08 10:50 ` Sergio de Mingo
From: Sergio de Mingo @ 2007-08-08 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I had similar problem with WMWare Workstation and didn't solve it. I used
Qemu with the image of oszoo.org.

http://www.oszoo.org/wiki/index.php/Plan9_070107.zip

--

                             Sergio.

* [9fans] ftpfs oddness...
@ 2007-08-08 18:46   ` marina
From: marina @ 2007-08-08 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi All:

I was using ftpfs earlier today to try to make my laptop and extention
of my p9 terminal and i mounted it's dir by ftpfs and i noticed that
if a file was created on the laptop by the laptop ftpfs does not pick
it up.

--- Marina Brown (tsygrl)

* Re: [9fans] ftpfs oddness...
@ 2007-08-08 19:15     ` Kris Maglione
From: Kris Maglione @ 2007-08-08 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ftpfs(4):
      BUGS

           Ftpfs caches files and directories.  A directory will fall
           from the cache after 5 quiescent minutes or if the local
           user changes the directory by writing or removing a file.

           Otherwise, remote changes to the directory that occur after
           the directory has been cached might not be immediately visi-
           ble.

Perhaps ftpfs should flush its cache on a hangup note.

--
Kris Maglione

I finally got it all together...
but I forgot where I put it.

* Re: [9fans] ftpfs oddness...
@ 2007-08-08 20:37       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2007-08-08 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Perhaps ftpfs should flush its cache on a hangup note.

if you look for something named .flush.ftpfs i think it flushes its cache

* [9fans] Re: Failure to bootup after installation.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-08-09 16:32 ` fouRmi
From: fouRmi @ 2007-08-09 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Aug 8, 6:51 pm, sdemi...@gmail.com (Sergio de Mingo) wrote:
> I had similar problem with WMWare Workstation and didn't solve it. I used
> Qemu with the image of oszoo.org.
>
> http://www.oszoo.org/wiki/index.php/Plan9_070107.zip

Hi Sergio

I made it! It works very well. It's the first time i am using Qemu.
Small, but it looks cute. Thanks very much!

How can i build my kernel image? How can i configure my settings on
it? Much more to learn :)

Regards
Orlando.