* [9fans] Plan 9 on Qemu on Windows?
@ 2006-08-08  8:25 Anssi Porttikivi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Anssi Porttikivi @ 2006-08-08  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Has anyone tried running Plan 9 on the Windows version of qemu (which
is in alpha)? Any tips for making it work?

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on Qemu on Windows?
@ 2006-08-08  8:27 ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2006-08-08  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello

It worked here, very slowly, but without anything special.

I used one of those qemu launchers for windows, doesn't remember it's name
now.

I think the versíon of qemu was 0.7.

gabi

@ 2006-08-08 10:39 ` Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2006-08-08 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good day.

Am Tue, 8 Aug 2006 11:25:03 +0300
"Anssi Porttikivi" <porttikivi@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Has anyone tried running Plan 9 on the Windows version of qemu (which
> is in alpha)? Any tips for making it work?

I'm using qemu 0.8.2 with kqemu for Linux and everything works quiet
fast:

	qemu -cdrom plan9.iso -boot d;

So on Windows it is:

	qemu.exe -cdrom plan9.iso -boot d

There is a qemu-win.bat in the distribution zip archive of the Qemu Windows
version you can modify and copy for starting Plan 9 in it.

Sincerely,

Christoph

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on Qemu on Windows?
@ 2006-08-08 20:30 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2006-08-08 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/8/06, Anssi Porttikivi <porttikivi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone tried running Plan 9 on the Windows version of qemu (which
> is in alpha)? Any tips for making it work?

Version 0.7.2 works well.  You can get it pre-built from the ReactOS Web site:

http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/download.html

If you already have the latest version, you can use qemu-img to
generate a disk image to suit.  I usually create an empty, compressed
VMware disk image of 20GB that I copy each time I need a disk for some
random OS for either VMware Player or QEMU, as they'll both use the
same disk format, and empty it's just a few KB.

To install:

qemu -boot d -cdrom \path\to\plan9.iso -m 128 -L . plan9.vmdk -user-net

(options are slightly different for version 8, feel free to tune the RAM, etc.)

Venti will cause your disk image to grow to nearly actual size, so if
your virtual disk image is smaller than your available space, I would
recommend skipping a local venti.  Also, if you plan on moving the
image around, you can get an install in under 400MB pretty easily.

To boot:

qemu -boot c -m 128 -L . plan9.vmdk -user-net

>From there, you'd want to read the standard QEMU guides on networking
and maybe peruse the mailing list archives for insight on Plan 9 and
NAT.

Good luck!

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on Qemu on Windows?
@ 2006-08-10  2:42   ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2006-08-10  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs