* [9fans] Another amusing glibc day ...
@ 2008-01-03  1:42 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-01-03  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

_dl_out_of_memory

as in
date: relocation error: /tmp/xcpu-hfyyo9/libc.so.6: symbol
_dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file
ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 with link time reference

ah well, here is the fix:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-443049.html

At some point, it's just amusing.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Another amusing glibc day ...
@ 2008-01-03  4:12 ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2008-01-03  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Honestly, it should be renamed glibeverythingwecouldcramintoonelib.

--
   "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace, plenty
famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until the

   "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions
harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon
opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre."

   "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god
or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire,
kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures"
-- Heraclitus

* Re: [9fans] Another amusing glibc day ...
@ 2008-01-03 19:46 ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2008-01-03 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 17:42 -0800, ron minnich wrote:
> _dl_out_of_memory
>
> as in
> date: relocation error: /tmp/xcpu-hfyyo9/libc.so.6: symbol
> _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file
> ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 with link time reference
>
> ah well, here is the fix:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-443049.html
>
> At some point, it's just amusing.

  I'm actually at loss why things like uClibc, dietlibc,
hey BSD libc or even Solaris one, don't displace that
horrible abomination called GNU libc. My only hope is that
evolution will run its due course eventually, but it is
so painful to watch its slow pace :-(

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] Another amusing glibc day ...
@ 2008-01-05  1:07   ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2008-01-05  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

well, uClibc & dietlibc are rather limited. *BSD libc is a viable option, as
is Sun's.
Honestly though, if we're going to do something as radical as get rid of
glibc, can we please do a little better? Might as well fix everything else
wrong, like, oh, say BSD SOCKETS!
=)

--

@ 2008-01-05  1:28     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-01-05  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> well, uClibc & dietlibc are rather limited. *BSD libc is a viable option, as
> is Sun's.
> Honestly though, if we're going to do something as radical as get rid of
> glibc, can we please do a little better? Might as well fix everything else
> wrong, like, oh, say BSD SOCKETS!
> =)

sockets are not an invention of the c library, regardless of what drepper thinks.
you'll have to swap out the operating system to do that.

... wait a second.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Another amusing glibc day ...
@ 2008-01-05  1:33       ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2008-01-05  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs