* [9fans] scheme plan 9
@ 2009-09-02  8:45 xiangyu
From: xiangyu @ 2009-09-02  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

HI,everyone:
   Has anyone ported scheme into plan 9 ? or is there some scheme
implementation  existence on plan 9 ? i want to learn SCIP
recently ,but i can't find a scheme in plan 9 . so  ask ..
 looking forward for the answer as soon as possible.......
thanks first.........

* Re: [9fans] scheme plan 9
@ 2009-09-02  9:21 ` matt
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: matt @ 2009-09-02  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

number of schemes > 4

http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Contrib_index/

maybe one is what you are looking for

there is also a gsoc project, search 9fans for more details

http://9fans.net/archive/

xiangyu wrote:

>HI,everyone:
>   Has anyone ported scheme into plan 9 ? or is there some scheme
>implementation  existence on plan 9 ? i want to learn SCIP
>recently ,but i can't find a scheme in plan 9 . so  ask ..
> looking forward for the answer as soon as possible.......
>thanks first.........

* Re: [9fans] scheme plan 9
@ 2009-09-02 11:32   ` Eris Discordia
       [not found]   ` <A63515BB8227B839C4D8C6DC@192.168.1.2>
From: Eris Discordia @ 2009-09-02 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Although, you may be better off reading SICP "as intended," and use MIT
Scheme on either Windows or a *NIX. The book (and the freaking language) is
already hard/unusual enough for one to not want to get confused by
implementation quirks. (Kill the paren!)

--On Wednesday, September 02, 2009 10:21 +0100 matt
<maht-9fans@maht0x0r.net> wrote:

> number of schemes > 4
>
> http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Contrib_index/
>
> maybe one is what you are looking for
>
> there is also a gsoc project, search 9fans for more details
> http://9fans.net/archive/
>

> xiangyu wrote:
>
>> HI,everyone:
>>   Has anyone ported scheme into plan 9 ? or is there some scheme
>> implementation  existence on plan 9 ? i want to learn SCIP
>> recently ,but i can't find a scheme in plan 9 . so  ask ..
>> looking forward for the answer as soon as possible.......
>> thanks first.........

* Re: [9fans] scheme plan 9
@ 2009-09-02 12:10   ` blstuart
       [not found]   ` <A63515BB8227B839C4D8C6DC@192.168.1.2>
From: blstuart @ 2009-09-02 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> number of schemes > 4
>
> http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Contrib_index/

One that's not in the contrib tree is s9fes (Scheme 9 From
Empty Space).

BLS

* Re: [9fans] scheme plan 9
       [not found]   ` <A63515BB8227B839C4D8C6DC@192.168.1.2>
@ 2009-09-02 14:30     ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2009-09-02 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Eris Discordia<eris.discordia@gmail.com> wrote:
> Although, you may be better off reading SICP "as intended," and use MIT
> Scheme on either Windows or a *NIX. The book (and the freaking language) is
> already hard/unusual enough for one to not want to get confused by
> implementation quirks. (Kill the paren!)

for the most part of the book Plan 9 is as good as the mentioned
options, except if you want a more lispy editor.

iru

* Re: [9fans] scheme plan 9
@ 2009-09-02 15:13       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-09-02 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Iruata Souza <iru.muzgo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Eris Discordia<eris.discordia@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Although, you may be better off reading SICP "as intended," and use MIT
> > Scheme on either Windows or a *NIX. The book (and the freaking language)
> is
> > already hard/unusual enough for one to not want to get confused by
> > implementation quirks. (Kill the paren!)
> >

> for the most part of the book Plan 9 is as good as the mentioned
> options, except if you want a more lispy editor.
>
> iru
>
> Check out chibi-schemehttp://code.google.com/p/chibi-scheme/

foof on freenode in #scheme is working on it, and it's got Plan 9 support as
well as others.  Well last I heard from a friend who's been using and
working with it.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] scheme plan 9
@ 2009-09-02 16:35     ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2009-09-02 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 12:32:53 BST Eris Discordia <eris.discordia@gmail.com>  wrote:
> Although, you may be better off reading SICP "as intended," and use MIT
> Scheme on either Windows or a *NIX. The book (and the freaking language) is
> already hard/unusual enough for one to not want to get confused by
> implementation quirks. (Kill the paren!)

The second edition of SICP uses IEEE Scheme (basically R4RS
Scheme) and pretty much every Scheme implementation supports
R4RS -- s9fes from http://www.t3x.org/s9fes/ certainly
supports it.  It doesn't support rational or complex numbers
but as I recall no example in SICP relies on those.

Killing parens won't make you an adult :-)

* Re: [9fans] scheme plan 9
@ 2009-09-02 16:45         ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2009-09-02 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I use chibi at work; s'not bad considering the size, & certainly better than
tinyscheme. I currently use a custom dialect for new stuff, but the old is
either Chibi or Gauche.

--
And in the "Only Prolog programmers will find this funny" department:

Q: How many Prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: No.
 -- Ovid

   "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace, plenty
famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until the
joining bodies die and rise again in smoke called incense."

   "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions
harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon
opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre."

   "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god
or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire,
kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures"
-- Heraclitus

* Re: [9fans] scheme plan 9
@ 2009-09-03  6:29       ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2009-09-03  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Killing parens won't make you an adult :-)

Killing the paren(t)s is the hobbyist(eenager)'s radical response to
existential why's that arise as the world of exper(adul)ts opens up before
them and regularities in there are found to be essentially conventional
rather than rational or natural.

I mean, I never got past SICP Chapter 1 because that first chapter got me
asking, "why this much hassle?"

P.S. I'm leaving. You may now remove your
arts-and-letters-cootie-protection suits and go back to normal tech-savvy
attire ;-)

--On Wednesday, September 02, 2009 09:35 -0700 Bakul Shah

@ 2009-09-03 13:07         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-09-03 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> P.S. I'm leaving. You may now remove your
> arts-and-letters-cootie-protection suits and go back to normal tech-savvy
> attire ;-)

that's okay.  given the adverts^wposts on the list today, we may just maintain
our choate quota without you.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] scheme plan 9
@ 2009-09-03 15:57         ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2009-09-03 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 07:29:53 BST Eris Discordia <eris.discordia@gmail.com>  wrote:

> I mean, I never got past SICP Chapter 1 because that first chapter got me
> asking, "why this much hassle?"

May be you had an impedance mismatch with SICP?

> P.S. I'm leaving. You may now remove your
> arts-and-letters-cootie-protection suits and go back to normal tech-savvy
> attire ;-)

This may not be your cup of tea or be artsy enough for you
but check out what happens when tech meets arts:

    http://impromptu.moso.com.au/gallery.html

Start the first video; may be skip the first 3 minutes or
so but after that stay with it for a few minutes.  The author
is creating music by *coding* in real time (and doing a great
job!).  He uses Impromptu, a Scheme programming environment,
that supports realtime scheduling and low level sound
synthesis. Given Scheme one can then build arbitrarily
complex signal processing graphs.

For some subset of people this sort of thing just might be a
better introduction to programming than SICP. Basically
anything that allows them to do fun things with programming
and leaves them wanting more.

BTW, you too can download impromptu on OS X and synthesise
your own noize!

* Re: [9fans] scheme plan 9
@ 2009-09-03 18:14           ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2009-09-03 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> This may not be your cup of tea or be artsy enough for you
> but check out what happens when tech meets arts:
>
>     http://impromptu.moso.com.au/gallery.html

i enjoyed this. thanks.

* Re: [9fans] scheme plan 9
@ 2009-09-04  9:35           ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2009-09-04  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The performance was enjoyable indeed, and interesting. Thanks :-) Although,
I bet you can get better results in an easier way with VST. No tool is
universal.

Just in case, the video wouldn't load even with the latest version of Adobe
Flash Player on Opera (some problem with Vimeo, presumably). I downloaded
the excerpt in MOV and watched it.

--On Thursday, September 03, 2009 08:57 -0700 Bakul Shah