* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi 3 B+ image of 9front
@ 2019-01-05 19:13 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2019-01-05 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom, 9fans

richard miller did a very fine job with the image.

9front used to have a image to download based on it for the raspi1,
but it is quite old and nobody updated it.

in the last release, we updated the kernel from richards
code and made the /sys/lib/dist/mkfile able to produce a
bootable sdcard image with hjfs filesystem.

documentation in the fqa is under way.

you can build a bootable sdcard image by running:

# build arm userspace
objtype=arm
cd /sys/src
mk install

# build kernel
cd /sys/src/9/bcm

# pi1 kernel (optional)
mk 'CONF=pi' install

# pi2/3 kernel
# mk 'CONF=pi2' install (pi2 is default)
mk install

# download firmware
cd /sys/src/boot/bcm
mk

# build bootable hjfs sdcard image
cd /sys/lib/dist
mk /tmp/mysdcard.pi.img

# copy to sdcard
cat /tmp/mysdcard.pi.img > /dev/sdM0/data

--
cinap

* [9fans] Raspberry Pi 3 B+ image of 9front
@ 2019-01-06  0:48 ` Raingloom
From: Raingloom @ 2019-01-06  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks! I managed to boot it but ran into some problems with my USB keyboard, the screen is basically flooded with "read returned 0" errors, but the mouse works without problems, even if I plug it in late.
I'll take a proper screenshot of the log when I have more time.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

From: cinap_lenrek @ 2019-01-05 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

       [not found] <2ECD349844717870DA8862A351DA2ED6@felloff.net>
@ 2019-01-05 22:44 ` Raingloom
From: Raingloom @ 2019-01-05 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> build bootable hjfs sdcard image
>
> =================================
>
> cd /sys/lib/dist
> mk /tmp/mysdcard.pi.img

This last step fails with:

mk: don?t know how to make '/n/src9/sys/lib/sysconf g/proto/cmpdistproto? in directory /sys/lib/dist

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi 3 B+ image of 9front
@ 2019-01-05 21:49 ` Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2019-01-05 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have been intending to try out the new raspberry pi updates too for
9front, but haven't had the chance yet.

A couple of years ago I was building the sd-card images for my raspberry
pis by using qemu to bring up an x86 install of 9front and doing a
cross-compile within to build the new disk image. Here's a script that I
used after the manual 9front install to do that plus a bunch of other
things that you probably don't care about. It does need significant cleanup
and updates.

https://github.com/sirnewton01/rpi-9front/blob/master/postsetup.rc

I'm hoping that it is at least some help to others.

Chris

@ 2019-01-05 17:08 Raingloom
From: Raingloom @ 2019-01-05 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)