* [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-05 18:41 David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-09-05 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Trying to get my Mac to connect to an aquarela server on a Plan 9
CPU/FS/AUTH box.

On the CPU side, as the host owner I'm just starting aquarela with the
following:

"aquarela -n -p -u 0 -w plan9"

and get:

"hostannounce failed: dgram send failed"

every so often.

Mac OS X seems to find the server ok, but can never authenticate,
whether I use cifs or smb.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong here?  I can connect to Windows
just fine from the Mac.

I've also tried, without success, to use smbclient from Terminal.app
on Mac OS X.

It tells me I've got username and password errors.

Does aquarela even do authentication?  I'm finding basically no
documentation on the whole thing but would like to try it out.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-05 18:59 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2006-09-05 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> "aquarela -n -p -u 0 -w plan9"
>
> and get:
>
> "hostannounce failed: dgram send failed"
>
> every so often.
> Does aquarela even do authentication?  I'm finding basically no
> documentation on the whole thing but would like to try it out.

Yes it does; I was using it just this afternoon to export files to
a win2k client, and I couldn't connect until I spelled the password
right.  I didn't use the -n or -w options, just started it
with 'aquarela -p'.

If your client is a Mac, why not use NFS instead of SMB?

* Re: Re: [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-05 19:46   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-09-05 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/5/06, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
> > "aquarela -n -p -u 0 -w plan9"
> >
> > and get:
> >
> > "hostannounce failed: dgram send failed"
> >
> > every so often.
> > Does aquarela even do authentication?  I'm finding basically no
> > documentation on the whole thing but would like to try it out.
>
> Yes it does; I was using it just this afternoon to export files to
> a win2k client, and I couldn't connect until I spelled the password
> right.  I didn't use the -n or -w options, just started it
> with 'aquarela -p'.

How does aquarela authenticate then?  Is it the user that started the
aquarela server or any valid plan 9 user?

> If your client is a Mac, why not use NFS instead of SMB?

Ever used Mac OS X NFS? :-)  I've had quite negative experiences with it.

Dave

* Re: Re: [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-05 20:05     ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2006-09-05 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> How does aquarela authenticate then?  Is it the user that started the
> aquarela server or any valid plan 9 user?

grep -n auth_ /sys/src/cmd/aquarela/*.c

Looks like it should work for any user with a key for proto=mschap.

> Ever used Mac OS X NFS? :-)  I've had quite negative experiences with it.

No, I haven't; perhaps I should be glad.  Generally I connect Plan 9 and
MacOS in the other direction, with the Mac as the server using u9fs.
See execnet(4) - this works very nicely.

* Re: Re: Re: [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-05 20:29       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-09-05 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/5/06, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
> > How does aquarela authenticate then?  Is it the user that started the
> > aquarela server or any valid plan 9 user?
>
> grep -n auth_ /sys/src/cmd/aquarela/*.c
>
> Looks like it should work for any user with a key for proto=mschap.

Yep, I don't think I have any users with said key, nor am I
immediately aware of how to add that.  But I'm sure I can find out.

Considering what I want to use this for, I could probably just write a
simple program with "listen" to do the same thing.

I just like to distribute redundant copies of a backup I make nightly
of my home directory and I thought my plan 9 file/cpu/auth server was
a good candidate.

I've tried and failed to get the Python 9p client to connect to my
Plan 9 box as well.  Drawterm works to this box but the 9p python
stuff fails to connect apparently.  Should be the same port numbers
right?

> > Ever used Mac OS X NFS? :-)  I've had quite negative experiences with it.
>
> No, I haven't; perhaps I should be glad.  Generally I connect Plan 9 and
> MacOS in the other direction, with the Mac as the server using u9fs.
> See execnet(4) - this works very nicely.

NFS on mac os x can get into a state where you really ought to reboot
the whole machine but you may not know it.

I'm a huge fan of sshnet and the one tip o'  the day that shows how to
turn 0 into a srv for a u9fs command via ssh.  Those two in
combination are better than any ssh port forwarding I've done in terms
of simplicity and ease of tracking the ports. ;-)

Dave

* Re: Re: Re: [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-05 20:38         ` Richard Bilson
From: Richard Bilson @ 2006-09-05 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/5/06, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/5/06, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
> > > How does aquarela authenticate then?  Is it the user that started the
> > > aquarela server or any valid plan 9 user?
> >
> > grep -n auth_ /sys/src/cmd/aquarela/*.c
> >
> > Looks like it should work for any user with a key for proto=mschap.
>
> Yep, I don't think I have any users with said key, nor am I
> immediately aware of how to add that.  But I'm sure I can find out.

I've never had to add any special keys in order to access an aquarela
share from a Windows machine -- I can connect to the share using the
same password I use for drawterm.

I have also never had a need for aquarela's -n flag.

* Re: Re: Re: Re: [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-05 20:41           ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-09-05 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/5/06, Richard Bilson <rcbilson@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > grep -n auth_ /sys/src/cmd/aquarela/*.c
> > >
> > > Looks like it should work for any user with a key for proto=mschap.
> >
> > Yep, I don't think I have any users with said key, nor am I
> > immediately aware of how to add that.  But I'm sure I can find out.
>
> I've never had to add any special keys in order to access an aquarela
> share from a Windows machine -- I can connect to the share using the
> same password I use for drawterm.

I've been trying that, drawterm works, aquarela isn't working.

> I have also never had a need for aquarela's -n flag.

I'm trying to connect to the local filesystem using \\ip\local or
smb://<ip>/local.

So far no luck.  Do I have to do something special to /n in the
namespace I launch aquarela in?

Dave

* Re: Re: Re: Re: [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-05 20:53             ` Richard Bilson
From: Richard Bilson @ 2006-09-05 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/5/06, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/5/06, Richard Bilson <rcbilson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've never had to add any special keys in order to access an aquarela
> > share from a Windows machine -- I can connect to the share using the
> > same password I use for drawterm.
> >

> I've been trying that, drawterm works, aquarela isn't working.
>
> > I have also never had a need for aquarela's -n flag.
> >

> I'm trying to connect to the local filesystem using \\ip\local or
> smb://<ip>/local.
>
> So far no luck.  Do I have to do something special to /n in the
> namespace I launch aquarela in?
>
> Dave

If your problem is authentication, no. But if your credentials are
accepted, my message from July 18th might be relevant:

> On 7/14/06, Richard Bilson <rcbilson@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I assume that "\\host\local" is supposed to refer to some namespace
> > constructed for the authenticated user. Probably it should contain
> > files and such. How do I achieve this?
>
> Ok, I figured this out. "\\host\local" refers to "/n/local". But, by
> default, there is nothing mounted at or bound to /n/local. Putting
> "bind / /n/local" into /lib/namespace.local gives me the behavior I
> expected.

I was going to find somewhere in the wiki to put this, but I'm still
not completely sure that this is the way it's meant to work. Of
course, it's nice and flexible in the sense that you can create a
custom namespace for use by smb clients, but it ought to be
documented.

One way to make sure that the authentication is working is to browse
\\host\sources or \\host\dump, or another share name corresponding to
a 9fs argument.

* Re: Re: Re: Re: [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-05 21:03               ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2006-09-05 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

anyone actually exporting nfs from plan 9 to linux?
Or are you all using the linux 9p implementation?

thanks

@ 2006-09-05 21:17             ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2006-09-05 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've been trying that, drawterm works, aquarela isn't working.

It uses the 'APOP secret', not the Plan 9 password.

> I'm trying to connect to the local filesystem using \\ip\local or
> smb://<ip>/local.

I'm not sure the LOCAL share works.  You might need a share name
which corresponds to something the Plan 9 host can apply '9fs'
to -- e.g. boot or kfs.

* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-05 21:36               ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-09-05 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/5/06, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
> > I've been trying that, drawterm works, aquarela isn't working.
>
> It uses the 'APOP secret', not the Plan 9 password.

If that's the case I guess I'll need to set that up also.

> > I'm trying to connect to the local filesystem using \\ip\local or
> > smb://<ip>/local.
>
> I'm not sure the LOCAL share works.  You might need a share name
> which corresponds to something the Plan 9 host can apply '9fs'
> to -- e.g. boot or kfs.

oh well... I spose I could try "dump", provided I ever get authenticated.

* Re: [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-06  0:06                 ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2006-09-06  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

I am happy if someone really made a success in mounting Plan 9
from Mac/OSX.
Either Aquarela or nfs OK.
I tried few years ago, and gave up.
Please let me know how to do.

Thanks in advance.

Kenji Arisawa

* Re: Re: [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-06  0:10                   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-09-06  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I wonder if a FUSE port would be possible.  The Webdavfs stuff works
anyway via kernel extensions and userland cooperation.

Then we might just be able to use the FUSE 9p...

Of course a v9fs port may be more interesting overall.

Dave

On 9/5/06, arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp <arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am happy if someone really made a success in mounting Plan 9
> from Mac/OSX.
> Either Aquarela or nfs OK.
> I tried few years ago, and gave up.
> Please let me know how to do.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Kenji Arisawa

* Re: Re: [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-06  1:07                     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-09-06  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this is probablly not exactly what you want, but p9p's 9p(1)
is able to read, write and ls a 9p connection.  i'm pretty sure russ
has it going on osx.  it might be just enough in a pinch.

- erik

* Re: Re: Re: [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-06  2:31                       ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2006-09-06  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/5/06, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> this is probablly not exactly what you want, but p9p's 9p(1)
> is able to read, write and ls a 9p connection.  i'm pretty sure russ
> has it going on osx.  it might be just enough in a pinch.

it does indeed work on OS X. we've got a significant system built
relying on OS X components being able to talk to inferno components
using the 9p stuff from p9p. it's not really fun for interactive use,
but for a significant set of programatic interactions it's just fine.

a FUSE port (since i don't have much hope of getting v9fs into Apple's
distribution) would be lovely.

* Re: Re: Re: [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-06 13:53                       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-09-06 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I use p9p on Mac OS X.  I helped Russ get a stacks problem solved on
Intel macs :-)

@ 2006-09-06 20:33                 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-09-06 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I export via nfs from plan 9 to (l)unix at home.  I think clients have
included OS X, linux, and openbsd.

* Re: [9fans] Aquarela usage
@ 2006-09-06 20:44                 ` Tim Wiess
From: Tim Wiess @ 2006-09-06 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> anyone actually exporting nfs from plan 9 to linux?
> Or are you all using the linux 9p implementation?

    my file server has always been exported via nfs to the
    openbsd systems on my network. never had any problems.