* [9fans] mounting plumber from p9p to 9vx
@ 2008-11-24  5:42 Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2008-11-24  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi all

How do I mount my p9p plumber on to my 9vx session?

The background. I am using plumber as a simple dynamic loading
mechanism to extend my haskell interpreter. I wrote a few simple C
programs that read from one of plumber ports.

This is how it works
1. Haskell sends a request to calculate a very complex math via file
IO to /mnt/plumb/send
2. plumber reads the message and launches a C-code handler to the
specific problem.
3. handler will send an ACK to plumber and then proceeds to do the calculation.
4. Haskell waits on the /mnt/plumb/retval untill it gets a message.

The retval can be the result of a calculation or an error code. I want
to try moving the handler on to p9p and see if it works that way too.

fernan

--
http://www.fernski.com

* Re: [9fans] mounting plumber from p9p to 9vx
@ 2008-11-24 18:10 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-11-24 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> How do I mount my p9p plumber on to my 9vx session?

% ls /mnt/plumb
% bind '#Z' /mnt/term
% ls /mnt/term/tmp/ns.rsc*
/mnt/term/tmp/ns.rsc.wreck/acme
/mnt/term/tmp/ns.rsc.wreck/plumb
% mount /mnt/term/tmp/ns.rsc.wreck/plumb /mnt/plumb
% ls /mnt/plumb
/mnt/plumb/edit
/mnt/plumb/image
/mnt/plumb/msword
/mnt/plumb/openoffice
/mnt/plumb/postscript
/mnt/plumb/rules
/mnt/plumb/seemail
/mnt/plumb/send
/mnt/plumb/sendmail
/mnt/plumb/showmail
/mnt/plumb/web
%

Russ

* Re: [9fans] mounting plumber from p9p to 9vx
@ 2009-03-05  5:47   ` Tom Lieber
From: Tom Lieber @ 2009-03-05  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2008/11/24 Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com>:
>> How do I mount my p9p plumber on to my 9vx session?
>
> % ls /mnt/plumb
> % bind '#Z' /mnt/term
> % ls /mnt/term/tmp/ns.rsc*
> /mnt/term/tmp/ns.rsc.wreck/acme
> /mnt/term/tmp/ns.rsc.wreck/plumb
> % mount /mnt/term/tmp/ns.rsc.wreck/plumb /mnt/plumb
> % ls /mnt/plumb
> /mnt/plumb/edit
> /mnt/plumb/image
> /mnt/plumb/msword
> /mnt/plumb/openoffice
> /mnt/plumb/postscript
> /mnt/plumb/rules
> /mnt/plumb/seemail
> /mnt/plumb/send
> /mnt/plumb/sendmail
> /mnt/plumb/showmail
> /mnt/plumb/web
> %

Can you also write to 9vx's plumber?

--
Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/

* Re: [9fans] mounting plumber from p9p to 9vx
@ 2009-03-05 16:30     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-03-05 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Can you also write to 9vx's plumber?

Sure; it's just a question of which you are trying to get to.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] mounting plumber from p9p to 9vx
@ 2009-03-05 17:19       ` Tom Lieber
From: Tom Lieber @ 2009-03-05 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/3/5 Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com>:
>> Can you also write to 9vx's plumber?
>
> Sure; it's just a question of which you are trying to get to.

Is it in how I start the plumber in 9vx, or how I serve it? I've been
trying to serve it with exportfs and use p9p 9p to poke around to find
it. I'm just man page surfing, though, as I've never really done
networking with Plan 9 before, just read some papers.

--
Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/