* [9fans] A short PPPOE configuration guide
@ 2005-08-28  7:49 Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2005-08-28  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I want to show an example to those that are having problems
configuring PPPOE immediately after installing Plan 9. Of course, I am
assuming that rio is viewable.

1.  Disable permissions checking:

  fossil/conf  /dev/sdC0/fossil > /tmp/fossil.conf

  Edit /tmp/fossil.conf to look like:

     fsys main config /dev/sdC0/fossil
     fsys main -AWP -V -c 1500

  Then write it back to the file system:

    fossil/conf -w /dev/sdC0/fossil  /tmp/fossil.conf

2.  Edit the plan9.ini file.

  Run the following commands:

   9fat:
   cd /n/9/
   acme plan9.ini (for folks without rio, use the ed editor)

  Add an ether=type=xxx entry to ensure the NIC is recognized. See
plan9.ini(8) for  more details (
http://zertz.plan9.ipng.wakhok.ac.jp/magic/man2html/8/plan9.ini ). The
entry should look similar to:

   ether=type=i82557

3.  Edit /lib/ndb/local with acme (or ed).

   Add an ipnet entry. My example is as follows:

ipnet=asahi-net.or.jp ip=219.121.16.20 ipmask=255.255.255.255
       dns=202.224.32.1
       dns=202.224.23.1

   Add an ip entry. My example is as follows:

ip=219.121.16.20 sys=ns dom=asahi-net.or.jp
       proto=tcp

3.   After saving the file, reboot by running 'fshalt' and turning off
the computer.

4.   Upon reboot, sweep (open) two windows in rio.

5.   In the first window, run the following:

        bind -b '#l0' /net
        bind -a '#l0' /net
        ip/pppoe -d ether0
        (enter the ISP provided username and password)

     In the second window, run the following:

        ndb/cs
        ndb/dns -r

     Note: The windows can be closed or hidden after the procedures.

Disclaimer: Following the procedure above should provide for a
standard PPPOE connection for those with a static IP address and allow
for dns queries, pings, ect.  I don't expect this is the only way to
start a pppoe connection, but I hope it is a starting point for better
documentation.

Good luck to all and best wishes.

--vester

* [9fans] Re: A short PPPOE configuration guide
@ 2005-08-29 11:24 ` Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2005-08-29 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/28/05, Vester Thacker <vester.thacker@gmail.com> wrote:

>   Edit /tmp/fossil.conf to look like:
>
>      fsys main config /dev/sdC0/fossil
>      fsys main -AWP -V -c 1500

There is a mistake in the last line. It should read:

        fsys main open -AWP -V -c 1500

I apologize for any inconvenience.

--vester

* Re: [9fans] A short PPPOE configuration guide
@ 2005-08-29 11:54 ` Russ Cox
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-08-29 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I want to show an example to those that are having problems
> configuring PPPOE immediately after installing Plan 9.

I fear this is a bit more complicated than I had intended.

> 1.  Disable permissions checking:

Put yourself in group sys instead.
This "invent root by another name" meme has lasted long enough.

> 2.  Edit the plan9.ini file.

>   Add an ether=type=xxx entry to ensure the NIC is recognized.

There's no need to do this unless the NIC isn't
recognized.  ls '#l' (that's an ell after the sharp)
and if you see a directory named ether0 you're
already all set.  Alternately grep ether /dev/kmesg.
In particular, an i82557 should always be recognized.
Only old ISA cards need these lines anymore.

> 3.  Edit /lib/ndb/local with acme (or ed).
>
>    Add an ipnet entry. My example is as follows:
>
> ipnet=asahi-net.or.jp ip=219.121.16.20 ipmask=255.255.255.255
>        dns=202.224.32.1
>        dns=202.224.23.1
>
>    Add an ip entry. My example is as follows:
>
> ip=219.121.16.20 sys=ns dom=asahi-net.or.jp
>        proto=tcp

These entries are only necessary if you don't like the DNS
servers that the remote PPP server is suggesting or if you
have other things on the network besides the PPP modem
(unlikely).  In the common case, you just run ip/pppoe -P
and that sets up /net/ndb with the info from the remote
PPP server.

> 3.   After saving the file, reboot by running 'fshalt' and turning off
> the computer.

You only need to reboot if you edited plan9.ini
because the kernel didn't recognize your ethernet
card (see above).

> 5.   In the first window, run the following:
>
>         bind -b '#l0' /net
>         bind -a '#l0' /net

You only need one of these lines.  It doesn't matter which one.
And you can write '#l' for '#l0' if you're so inclined.

>         ip/pppoe -d ether0
>         (enter the ISP provided username and password)

Saying ether0 isn't necessary -- that's the default.
Saying -d isn't necessary either, but it does print potentially
useful debugging info.  In most cases you want the -P flag (see above).
So "ip/pppoe -dP".

>      In the second window, run the following:
>
>         ndb/cs

Cs is already running (started in termrc/cpurc) and need not be run again.

>         ndb/dns -r

DNS is also already running and should not need to be run again.
(I say should not because in times long past it was sometimes necessary.)
You should be able to just

    echo refresh >/net/cs
    echo refresh >/net/dns

and be all set.  I just changed ppp (invoked by pppoe) to do this
for you, so if you pull binaries tomorrow, these shouldn't be necessary
either.  Writing to /net/cs is just a custom anyway -- nothing cs cares
about (the list of available protocols inside /net) has changed.

So the simpler version of how to run pppoe, similar to the one in
http://lists.cse.psu.edu/archives/9fans/2001-October/013562.html,
is to run

    ip/pppoe -dP
    echo refresh >/net/cs
    echo refresh >/net/dns

and the last two commands should go away soon enough.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] A short PPPOE configuration guide
@ 2005-08-29 13:25   ` Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2005-08-29 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/29/05, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> Put yourself in group sys instead.

Good idea. I didn't think of that right off hand.

> There's no need to do this unless the NIC isn't
> recognized.  ls '#l' (that's an ell after the sharp)
> and if you see a directory named ether0 you're
> already all set.  Alternately grep ether /dev/kmesg.
> In particular, an i82557 should always be recognized.
> Only old ISA cards need these lines anymore.
<cut>
> These entries are only necessary if you don't like the DNS
> servers that the remote PPP server is suggesting or if you
> have other things on the network besides the PPP modem
> (unlikely).  In the common case, you just run ip/pppoe -P
> and that sets up /net/ndb with the info from the remote
> PPP server.

In my case, I received an interface not found (or defined) error when
starting ip/pppoe. Once I defined the i82557 NIC as ether0 in
plan9.ini, I observed that pppoe recognized the NIC.  I have 2 NICs in
this machine, so perhaps defining the interface fixed the problem.

Unfortunately, for me the -dP option only works partially for me.
Before and after running ndb/dns -r, I could not resolve names with
ndb/dnsquery; so I defined a ipnet entry with dns comment and
subsequently an additional ip entry in /lib/ndb/local. :-(

Also, running echo refresh > /net/dns produced the following error:
/net/dns: rc: can't open: mounted directory forbids creation
But I suspect adding my user to the sys group as you mentioned might
alleviate this problem.

Russ, thank you very much for your insight and time.  I'm looking
forward to getting this right.

@ 2005-08-29 13:26   ` Enache Adrian
From: Enache Adrian @ 2005-08-29 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 07:54:09AM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:
> (unlikely).  In the common case, you just run ip/pppoe -P
> and that sets up /net/ndb with the info from the remote
> PPP server.

Is that fixed now ?
http://lists.cse.psu.edu/archives/9fans/2005-June/041887.html

* Re: [9fans] A short PPPOE configuration guide
@ 2005-08-29 13:28     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-08-29 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/29/05, Enache Adrian <enache@rdslink.ro> wrote:
> Is that fixed now ?
> http://lists.cse.psu.edu/archives/9fans/2005-June/041887.html

Yes (as of one minute ago).  Thanks for pointing it out.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] A short PPPOE configuration guide
@ 2005-08-29 22:02   ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2005-08-29 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Disable permissions checking:

> Put yourself in group sys instead.  This "invent
> root by another name" meme has lasted long enough.

I started to respond to this but halfway through
realized where this meme was coming from, at least
in my mind.

I was feeling nervous about running in group sys
because, well, I could accidentally destroy the
whole file system, right?  Oh.... the worst I
could do would be to destroy *today's* *version*
of the file system, and yesterday's is still there,
and the day before's, and ...

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] A short PPPOE configuration guide
@ 2005-08-30  1:39     ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2005-08-30  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hahaha, I have some sympathy with your feeling.
However, Russ said you can run one machine model Plan 9
with your favorite user name, and if neccessary you can add
your favorite name to sys group, wright?

In this case, you should remind you can create any file from
fossilcons window, if you need it to be owned by 'sys'.

This is the one point which I told lastly, the three machine
Plan 9 model is clearer.   However, I know Russ's idea is
interesting.

Kenji (けんじ)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3218 bytes --]

From: Dave Eckhardt <davide+p9@cs.cmu.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] A short PPPOE configuration guide
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:02:55 -0400

@ 2005-08-30  1:56       ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2005-08-30  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

s/wright?/right?/

as usual.  My english pronounciation is bad, and I cannot
distinguish the difference between those two.

Anyway, I'm now checking how my email system works fine
from home, sorry.

健二