* [9fans] new install, a couple questions
@ 2006-04-18 20:13 J Willard Gibbs
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: J Willard Gibbs @ 2006-04-18 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Seems to work great. Really neat.

1. How can I change the screen resolution for Rio? It's still at 640x480
from the
      install sequence.

2. I noticed some messages referring to utilities I don't have available.
Did I miss
      part of the install?
      % riostart
      riostart: '/bin/riostart' file does not exist
      % taskbar
      taskbar: '/bin/taskbar' file does not exist

3. For some reason I can't write to temp files which is causing problems:
      % sam
      sam: can't create temp file: '/tmp/Z342.gibbsam' permission denied
      % con -l /srv/fscons
      prompt: uname sys +gibbs
      uname: 'gibbs' already in group 'sys'
      % ls -lrt / | grep tmp
      d-r-xr-xr-x M  8 sys   sys   0 Mar 1 09:53 /tmp
      % cd /tmp
      % touch x
      touch: x: cannot create: 'x' permission denied

4. I manually created the directory structure at /usr/gibbs:
    /lib
    /bin
    /bin/rc
    /tmp
  However no change mods or analogous. Also I created the
/usr/gibbs/lib/profile as follows
    bind -a $home/bin/rc /bin
    bind -a $home/bin/$cputype /bin
    bind -c $home/tmp /tmp
    upas/fs
    switch($service) {
    case terminal
      plumber
      prompt=('term% ' '    ')
      exec rio -f $font
    case cpu
      bind /mnt/term/dev/cons /dev/cons
      bind /mnt/term/dev/consctl /dev/consctl
      bind -a /mnt/term/mnt/wsys /dev
      prompt=('cpu% ' '    ')
      news
    case con
      prompt=('cpu% ' '    ')
      news
    }

   Although, I don't have a good idea what's in mind there. Therefore I
suspect
       I missed some important steps.

Gibbs

* Re: [9fans] new install, a couple questions
@ 2006-04-18 20:17 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2006-04-18 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

most of your problems will disappear if you run '/sys/lib/newuser' the
first time you log in as your user. it will create /usr/$user and set
up a useful profile that starts rio (riostart is a script that exists
only for glenda). once you have this profile you'll have
/usr/$user/tmp bound to /tmp every time you log in, so editing files
will work.

to change the resolution you need to edit plan9.ini. run "9fat:" and
edit /n/9fat/plan9.ini. if you want a temporary /tmp run 'ramfs'
beforehand, which will bind itself there and create a ram-only
writeable directory.

* Re: [9fans] new install, a couple questions
@ 2006-04-18 20:18 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-04-18 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

A lot of what you're trying to do is covered in the plan 9 wiki.

http://netlib.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/plan_9_wiki/

@ 2006-04-18 22:09 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-04-18 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it looks like you did everything /sys/lib/newuser
would have done except actually run the profile.
running the profile would do the right binds to
bind in your writable /tmp, and add your personal bins
(where riostart is/would go) to /bin.

i don't know of any program called taskbar.

russ

* Re: [9fans] new install, a couple questions
@ 2006-04-19  3:46   ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2006-04-19  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://9fans.net/archive/2005/01/297

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] new install, a couple questions
@ 2006-04-21 16:25     ` J Willard Gibbs
From: J Willard Gibbs @ 2006-04-21 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>From: "Federico Benavento" <benavento@gmail.com>
>Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:46:30 -0300
>
> > i don't know of any program called taskbar.
>
>http://9fans.net/archive/2005/01/297

I had just read the following msg

http://9fans.net/archive/2005/02/279