* [9fans] plumbing safari
@ 2004-06-21 22:20 Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2004-06-21 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

If you're using OS X on a mac and you'd like plumbing to work with
safari, here's the magic script to get safari to open a window from
the command line.  Call it something like 'plumbhtml' and you can use
it in the usual web plumbing rules:

osascript > /dev/null << EOF
tell application "Safari"
activate
make new document at end of documents
set the URL of the front document to "$1"
end tell
EOF

I am not the discoverer of this incantation, I just thought it was worth
passing on.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] plumbing safari
@ 2004-06-21 22:25 ` Charles Forsyth
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2004-06-21 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	tell application "Safari"
	activate
	make new document at end of documents
	set the URL of the front document to "$1"
	end tell

is pic the new open scripting architecture engine for MacOS X?

* Re: [9fans] plumbing safari
@ 2004-06-21 22:29   ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2004-06-21 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> is pic the new open scripting architecture engine for MacOS X?

i admit i found the syntax a little surprising.

-rob

* RE: [9fans] plumbing safari
@ 2004-06-21 22:41   ` Mark F Rodriguez
From: Mark F Rodriguez @ 2004-06-21 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs'

> is pic the new open scripting architecture engine for MacOS X?

The code submitted was written using Applescript
<http://www.apple.com/applescript/> which has been part of the OS for many
years.

Thanks,
-Mark

* Re: [9fans] plumbing safari
@ 2004-06-21 22:44   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-06-21 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Charles Forsyth wrote:

> 	tell application "Safari"
> 	activate
> 	make new document at end of documents
> 	set the URL of the front document to "$1"
> 	end tell
>
> is pic the new open scripting architecture engine for MacOS X?

I don't know, to me the stuff looks strangely and weirdly like HyperCard.

ron

* Re: [9fans] plumbing safari
@ 2004-06-22  0:45 ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2004-06-22  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I use the OS X open command, which seems to be part of something like
plumbing.  From my lib/plumbing:

# URL with method goes to my mac
type is text
data matches '((https?|ftp|file|gopher|mailto|news|nntp|telnet|wais|prospero)://)[a-zA-Z0-9_@]+([.:][a-zA-Z0-9_@]+)*/?[a-zA-Z0-9_?,%#~&/\-=]+([:.][a-zA-Z0-9_?,%#~&/\-=]+)*'
plumb to web
plumb start ssh mac-gbe open ''''$0''''

# URL without method goes to my mac, but os x requires ``http://''
type is text
data matches 'www\.[a-zA-Z0-9_@]+([.:][a-zA-Z0-9_@]+)*/?[a-zA-Z0-9_?,%#~&/\-=]+([:.][a-zA-Z0-9_?,%#~&/\-=]+)*'
plumb to web
plumb start ssh mac-gbe open http://''''$0''''

* Re: [9fans] plumbing safari
@ 2004-06-22  1:24   ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2004-06-22  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

aha, nice.  even simpler.  and i can avoid the ssh (why do you need it? so
the plumber can be on a different machine from the web browser?).

-rob

* Re: [9fans] plumbing safari
@ 2004-06-22  1:26     ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2004-06-22  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm not running the plan9ports programs yet, so I'm clicking on URLs
on Plan 9 (typically in mail), where I run the plumber.

* Re: [9fans] plumbing safari
@ 2004-06-22 14:14   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-06-22 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Geoff Collyer wrote:

> I use the OS X open command, which seems to be part of something like
> plumbing.  From my lib/plumbing:

so are we losing all the Plan 9 guys to MacOS?

Hmm.

:-)

ron

* Re: [9fans] plumbing safari
@ 2004-06-22 16:21     ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2004-06-22 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jun 22, 2004, at 9:14 AM, ron minnich wrote:

> so are we losing all the Plan 9 guys to MacOS?

All it needs is Venti/Fossil and it would be complete.  The gui is very
different, but that does give a slightly larger market share for other
markets (design, video, ... science).

jas