* [9fans] admin with fossil?
@ 2003-10-10 14:06 Tim Fraser
From: Tim Fraser @ 2003-10-10 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Here's a couple of newbie questions for you all; I apologize in
advance for trying your patience:

I recently installed Plan 9 4th edition off of an installation CD-ROM
downloaded on 29 Sept 2003.  Sticking to the defaults, I wound up with
a stand-alone terminal running a local fossil filesystem.

Question 1: What is the proper way to overcome fossil's access
controls in order to perform administrative tasks (such as editing
/rc/bin/termrc)?  Is there a means of turning off access control with
fossil as there is with kfs, or does one create a user with
administrative group memberships?

Question 2: Based on the number of helpful examples on the web, kfs
appears to be a well-trodden path.  However, it seems that fossil is
the way of the future.  Which filesystem is more appropriate for my
stand-alone terminal, fossil or kfs?

Thanks,

Tim Fraser / U. Maryland Institute for Advanced Computer Studies

* Re: [9fans] admin with fossil?
@ 2003-10-10 14:20 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-10-10 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm replaced my laptop's kfs with fossil and am not sad.  It works
well.

To get at things, you can make a /srv file that you can administer fossil
through:

%; con /srv/fscons
main: fsys main
main: srv -AP admin

Then mount /srv/admin somewhere and admin away.

You could also make a user that's the leader of all groups
but this is a lot less typing.

* Re: [9fans] admin with fossil?
@ 2003-10-10 14:46 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-10-10 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>the way of the future.  Which filesystem is more appropriate for my
>>stand-alone terminal, fossil or kfs?

fossil/venti should be fine.  i've certainly switched my thinkpad
from kfs to fossil without fuss.  it backs up to venti on the
same device, mainly so i can recover the fossil more easily if required.

functionally, fossil has got long names (sometimes useful) but
more important, snapshots and archives, which kfs hasn't.