* [9fans] Talk by Charles Forsyth on Feb 1st at Imperial College London, 13:00 -14:00
@ 2018-01-24  9:16 Hugues Evrard
From: Hugues Evrard @ 2018-01-24  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

On Thursday Feb. 1st (next week), Charles Forsyth will kindly give an
introduction talk to plan9 and inferno at Imperial College in London. If
you are in the London area, don't hesitate to join and to relay this
announce!

Here is the abstract:

Plan 9 and Inferno are two operating systems (originally developed by
the Bell Labs centre that produced Unix decades earlier). Both were
designed to allow systems to be composed from smaller cooperating
systems performing specific tasks.They provide structural support for
distribution, at the operating system level. Their defining novelty is
the representation of all distributable resources as hierarchical name
spaces. There are conventional names for certain resources, but no
global name space. Instead, the kernel provides operations that compose
name spaces of local and remote resources, at per-process granularity,
to build a unique space to suit a given application. That can aid
design, development, testing and integration. I'll give brief summaries
of the two operating systems, and present examples of their use, with an
emphasis on naming.

The talk is at 13:00-14:00 in amphitheatre 311 of the Huxley building,
whose entrance is at 180 Queen’s Gate, London SW7 2AZ. It is part of the
iPr0gram talk series ( https://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rbc/iPr0gram/ ), where
people external to Imperial College are warmly welcome, please just get
in touch with Robert ( https://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rbc/ ) beforehand if
you plan to join.

As most of you already know, Charles has made numerous contributions to
plan9 and inferno, and was instrumental in open-sourcing inferno. For
more info, check out his homepage: http://www.terzarima.net/
Please get in touch with me if you would like to have a chat with
Charles in the afternoon, I can arrange a meeting room.

Thanks,
Hugues

* Re: [9fans] Talk by Charles Forsyth on Feb 1st at Imperial College London, 13:00 -14:00
@ 2018-01-24  9:32 ` Fran. J Ballesteros
From: Fran. J Ballesteros @ 2018-01-24  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

will it be avail online, somehow?
thanks.

@ 2018-01-29 10:36   ` Hugues Evrard
From: Hugues Evrard @ 2018-01-29 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes it should be recorded, and made available online later on (I needed
confirmation before answering here).

Thanks,
Hugues

@ 2018-01-29 11:27     ` Giacomo Tesio
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2018-01-29 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please share a link here, when ready!

Giacomo

> Yes it should be recorded, and made available online later on (I needed
> confirmation before answering here).
> Thanks,
> Hugues
>

> On 24/01/18 09:32, Fran. J Ballesteros wrote:
>
> will it be avail online, somehow?
> thanks.
>
> El 24 ene 2018, a las 10:16, Hugues Evrard <h.evrard at imperial.ac.uk>
> escribi?:
>
> Hi all,
>
> On Thursday Feb. 1st (next week), Charles Forsyth will kindly give an
> introduction talk to plan9 and inferno at Imperial College in London. If
> you are in the London area, don't hesitate to join and to relay this
> announce!
>
> Here is the abstract:
> Plan 9 and Inferno are two operating systems (originally developed by the
> Bell Labs centre that produced Unix decades earlier). Both were designed
> to allow systems to be composed from smaller cooperating systems performing
> specific tasks. They provide structural support for distribution, at the
> operating system level. Their defining novelty is the representation of
> all distributable resources as hierarchical name spaces. There are
> conventional names for certain resources, but no global name space.
> Instead, the kernel provides operations that compose name spaces of local
> and remote resources, at per-process granularity, to build a unique space
> to suit a given application. That can aid design, development, testing
> and integration. I'll give brief summaries of the two operating systems,
> and present examples of their use, with an emphasis on naming.
>
> The talk is at 13:00-14:00 in amphitheatre 311 of the Huxley building,
> whose entrance is at 180 Queen?s Gate, London SW7 2AZ. It is part of the
> iPr0gram talk series ( https://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rbc/iPr0gram/ ), where
> people external to Imperial College are warmly welcome, please just get in
> touch with Robert ( https://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rbc/ ) beforehand if you
> plan to join.
>
> As most of you already know, Charles has made numerous contributions to
> plan9 and inferno, and was instrumental in open-sourcing inferno. For more
> info, check out his homepage: http://www.terzarima.net/
> Please get in touch with me if you would like to have a chat with Charles
> in the afternoon, I can arrange a meeting room.
> Thanks,
> Hugues

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [9fans] Talk by Charles Forsyth on Feb 1st at Imperial College London, 13:00 -14:00
@ 2018-01-29 11:54       ` Hugues Evrard
From: Hugues Evrard @ 2018-01-29 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...