* Re: [9fans] problems
@ 2000-08-01 19:09 Russ Cox
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-08-01 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, ancipites

	1. My printer's paper tray doesn't hold enough sheets to
	print the manuals. It looks as though, in devlpt.c, that
	outch() doesn't check for Fpe when it finds an error. This
	was encountered when trying to print vol1.ps.

That has always annoyed me.  If you
tell me what the code should be I'll fix it.

Russ

* [9fans] nvram etc
@ 2000-08-01 20:10 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-08-01 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

why does the pc install depend on all this serious auth stuff?
i can understand that you want maintain a small code base, but
from a base level install who cares about all that auth nonsense.

look at kfscmd.

--
Boyd Roberts                                 boyd@psycho-basket-case.org

    But I doubt if our present system [U.S. Army] will produce such
    an individual.  They are too: _abrasive_, opinionated, undiplomatic,
    nonconformist, and effective.

        -- Colonel David H. Hackworth (U.S. Army, Ret.)

* Re: [9fans] problems
@ 2000-08-01 20:42 ` D. Brownlee
From: D. Brownlee @ 2000-08-01 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox; +Cc: 9fans

Hello,

The lpt driver is in /sys/src/9/pc/devlpt.c. That file has a
function outch():

	for (tries = 0;; tries++){
		status = inb(base+Qpsr);
		if(!(status & Fselect) || !(status & Fnoerror))
			Error(Eio);  /* occurs when the paper tray is empty */
		.
		.
		.
	}

which might be changed to:

	for (tries = 0;; tries++){
		status = inb(base+Qpsr);
		if(!(status & Fselect) || !(status & Fnoerror))
			if (!(status & Fpe)) { /* paper ran out */
				tries = 0;
				continue;
			}
			else
				Error(Eio);
		.
		.
		.
	}

I haven't tried this -- I haven't discovered how to rebuild
the kernel yet. 'Fpe' is already defined in devlpt.c. I may
have the test on 'Fpe' inverted -- don't know.

I think that the desired behaviour is that when the paper
runs out this will wait until someone comes by and installs
some paper, which should cause the 'Fpe' bit to change. That
is how some other PC *nix systems behave.

D. Brownlee

Russ Cox wrote:

>         1. My printer's paper tray doesn't hold enough sheets to
>         print the manuals. It looks as though, in devlpt.c, that
>         outch() doesn't check for Fpe when it finds an error. This
>         was encountered when trying to print vol1.ps.
>
> That has always annoyed me.  If you
> tell me what the code should be I'll fix it.
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] problems
@ 2000-08-01 21:04 ` D. Brownlee
From: D. Brownlee @ 2000-08-01 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I recently suggested a change without knowing
too much about how Plan 9 drivers work. Perhaps,
when 'Fpe' is detected, 'tsleep' should be called.
(wouldn't want to hang the whole system until someone
adds some more paper!) Or is the driver scheduled
independently? It is probably best to call 'tsleep'
in any case.

D. Brownlee

Russ Cox wrote:

>         1. My printer's paper tray doesn't hold enough sheets to
>         print the manuals. It looks as though, in devlpt.c, that
>         outch() doesn't check for Fpe when it finds an error. This
>         was encountered when trying to print vol1.ps.
>
> That has always annoyed me.  If you
> tell me what the code should be I'll fix it.
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] problems
@ 2000-08-01 22:48 ` D. Brownlee
From: D. Brownlee @ 2000-08-01 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Reading from the "IBM PS/2 Hardware Technical Reference,"
"Parallel Port Controller (Type 1)," not necessarily an
up to date or applicable document, it says, concerning the Status Port:

	Bit 5	This bit represents the current state of the printer
			'paper end' signal (PE). When this bit is set to 1, the printer has
			detected the end of the paper.

in contast, another bit is described:

	Bit 3	This bit represents the current state of the printer '-error'
			signal (-ERROR). When this bit is set to 0, the printer has
			encountered an error condition.

Hope that helps,

D. Brownlee

Russ Cox wrote:

> The right change is probably to sleep
> waiting for a status change interrupt
> as it does a little bit later; what I wondered
> about was the sense of Fpe and whether
> it actually had something to do with paper.
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] problems
@ 2000-08-01 21:26 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-08-01 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The right change is probably to sleep
waiting for a status change interrupt
as it does a little bit later; what I wondered
about was the sense of Fpe and whether
it actually had something to do with paper.

Russ

* [9fans] problems
@ 2000-07-31  9:09 ` D. Brownlee
From: D. Brownlee @ 2000-07-31  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

It's installed. Thanks to everyone that made this possible.

Problems:

1. My printer's paper tray doesn't hold enough sheets to
print the manuals. It looks as though, in devlpt.c, that
outch() doesn't check for Fpe when it finds an error. This
was encountered when trying to print vol1.ps.

2. When I tried to print volume two, with 'mk', page numbering
restarted at each chapter. There is a 'prfile' script in that
'doc' directory, but it looks like the page numbers were determined
when 'alef' was part of the system. Could we have a big vol2.ps,
like vol1.ps, or an updated 'prfile'?

3. 'ftpfs' doesn't completely cope with MacOS! What about the rest
of us? ;) I can work around it for now by moving whatever I want to
get with 'ftpfs' to the 'McIntoshHD'.

Later,

D. Brownlee