* [9fans] hang when booting from the orig boot floppy
@ 2000-08-14  8:50 Jason Gurtz
From: Jason Gurtz @ 2000-08-14  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It seems to detect everything OK:

mach64  (2MB)
3com elnk3

After root is from prompt I hit enter and it says

"kfs...boot: nop..."

and that's it, floppy continues to read for a bit, then stops.

Am i missing somthing?

any hints would be well appreciated

~Jason

* Re: [9fans] hang when booting from the orig boot floppy
@ 2000-08-23 17:00   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2000-08-23 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Michael Joosten wrote:
> BTW, the same (or a very similar situation) happened to me also with a
> 3C509 when I changed computers. As it turned out, the PnP stuff was
> still enabled on the NIC. Using the 3COM setup diskettes (pnpdisable.bat
> or such) cured this and I could again boot from disk.
> Might be added as hint to the FAQ or install docs.

Absolutely.  A 3C509 can even be rendered inoperable by a PnP
OS such as Windows 9x (long story).  It is best when installing
a new 3C509 to immediately run PNPDSABL.BAT to keep PnP from
causing a problem for that card.

* Re: [9fans] hang when booting from the orig boot floppy
@ 2000-08-23 15:05 ` Michael Joosten
From: Michael Joosten @ 2000-08-23 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox wrote:

> Try removing the ether0= line.
> What sort of Etherlink III is it?

BTW, the same (or a very similar situation) happened to me also with a
3C509 when I changed computers. As it turned out, the PnP stuff was
still enabled on the NIC. Using the 3COM setup diskettes (pnpdisable.bat
or such) cured this and I could again boot from disk.
Might be added as hint to the FAQ or install docs.

| Michael Joosten   |       Tel.  : +49 5251 606127            |
| C-LAB             |       Fax   : +49 5251 606065            |
| Fuerstenalle 11   |       E-Mail: joost@c-lab.de             |
| 33094 Paderborn   |      C-LAB is a cooperation between      |
| Germany           |    University Paderborn & SIEMENS AG     |

* Re: [9fans] hang when booting from the orig boot floppy
@ 2000-08-18 14:04 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2000-08-18 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> I wonder it that means Plan 9 and Linux use different precompensation
> values for the floppy.  I'll have to look into Linux since we just got
> ours out of a floppy controller description.

There is certainly *some*thing flaky about the floppy support,
at least in the installation process.  Russ & I exchanged email
for many days as I tried to get the installation to work on a
couple of different systems.  (Finally worked on one of them.)

* RE: [9fans] hang when booting from the orig boot floppy
@ 2000-08-17 22:54 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-08-17 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I wonder it that means Plan 9 and Linux use different precompensation
values for the floppy.  I'll have to look into Linux since we just got
ours out of a floppy controller description.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2048 bytes --]

From: "Jason Gurtz" <jason@tommyk.com>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: RE: [9fans] hang when booting from the orig boot floppy
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:36:04 -0400

turned out to be a fail(ing)(ed) floppy.  Linux had not reported any errors
and it cmp'ed fine.  After installing w/ a new floppy, bootsetup:floppy
reported i/o error trying to use orig. diskette.

~Jason

@ 2000-08-17 22:36 ` Jason Gurtz
From: Jason Gurtz @ 2000-08-17 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-08-17  4:52 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2000-08-17  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 09:41:48PM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:

> Try removing the ether0= line.
> What sort of Etherlink III is it?

If it's the same oddity I use (and Kenji) then it needs the media
to be preset.

In passing, I wonder if JMK could share the technology to read and
write the serial RAM chip without me having to consult driver
sources, I'm convinced something in the chip on my system is
sufficiently broken to bring the diagnostic tools to a standstill
and I'd like to poke a bit at it.

A "no" is an acceptable answer, I'm just trying to avoid re-invention.

++L

* Re: [9fans] hang when booting from the orig boot floppy
@ 2000-08-17  1:41 Russ Cox
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-08-17  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Try removing the ether0= line.
What sort of Etherlink III is it?

Russ

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1697 bytes --]