* Re: [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-20 21:11 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2000-11-20 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

gshubin@sonic.net writes:
> > there is a Short Term Facilities Issue with my new line, but
> > they won't say what it is.
> >

> It means they haven't built the CO within 17kft of your location.

Actually, no it doesn't mean that.

* Re: [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-21  9:37 ` Greg Shubin
From: Greg Shubin @ 2000-11-21  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

David Gordon Hogan wrote:

> gshubin@sonic.net writes:
> > > there is a Short Term Facilities Issue with my new line, but
> > > they won't say what it is.
> > >

> > It means they haven't built the CO within 17kft of your location.
>
> Actually, no it doesn't mean that.

For the sense-of-humor impaired and/or phone company employees, here are
some smileys. Insert as needed.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :) :) :) :) .

* Re: [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-20 10:54 ` Greg Shubin
From: Greg Shubin @ 2000-11-20 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-11-14 21:27 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2000-11-14 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

dhog@plan9.bell-labs.com says:

> I'm personally getting quite sick of typing "atdt<number>^M", (and
> sometimes getting it wrong) and then having to participate in
> further handshaking (and sometimes head-scratching) with my
> ISP.  Has anyone given any thought as to how this should be
> automated?

The "atdt<number>^M" part can be automated by using -p telco!ispname
if you trust telco (and if your /lib/ndb/local has a line like
sys=ispname telco=555-1234).

The further handshaking (if you need a login script for an isp
which doesn't support CHAP or PAP) can be automated by persuading
ip/ppp to call a command, in the manner of the -c option of con(1),
instead of reading user input.  You can use rc as a scripting language -
below is my quickly thrown together script for logging into Compuserve
(where 'cread -t N C' is a variant of read(1) which copies from stdin
to stdout until either a character C is encountered or N seconds elapse).

I could post the source for cread, and the change to ppp to call command
scripts, but they're both pretty obvious.

-- Richard

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 542 bytes --]

echo $0 running >[1=2]
send ''
while (! expect 10 ame:) {send ''}
send CIS
if (! expect 10 ID:) exit 'no ID prompt'
send $host/GO:PPPCONNECT
expect 60 GO:
if (! expect 10 ord:) exit 'no password prompt'
sendq $pass
readuntil 'One moment please'

* Re: [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-14 20:43 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-11-14 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: rob pike <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>

> what, you mean about getting a new telephone pole installed on my property
> to support the positive-pressure nitrogen-filled cable that delivered the
twisted
> pair? that story?  no, no interest here.

story i heard was tha at&t didn't wanna sell them 'cos
of some 'oh, yer gonna build a phone company'.

* Re: [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-14 20:24 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-11-14 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It does.  However, it doesn't do the reset of the handshake.  There are
too many danged ways to attach to an ISP.  I have to dial the number,
type a user name, an exncrypted time, and then the string ppp, each
to a prompt and with no type ahead allowed.  My mom's ISP goes through
a similar but different dance.  My girl friend's uses PAP without
a dance.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1674 bytes --]

From: Scott Schwartz <schwartz@bio.cse.psu.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:08:56 -0500

| Has anyone given any thought as to how this should be
| automated?

telco fixes the phone dialing part in what I think is a really nice way.

* Re: [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-14 20:18 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-11-14 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

what, you mean about getting a new telephone pole installed on my property
to support the positive-pressure nitrogen-filled cable that delivered the twisted
pair? that story?  no, no interest here.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2012 bytes --]

From: "Boyd Roberts" <boyd@planete.net>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:02:03 +0100

From: rob pike <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>

> 3 months! It's just starting, man.  I've been waiting since March, when they
took my deposit money.
> Kick back, relax.  It's the information age.

rob, tell the story about the grief to get a T1.

* Re: [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-14 20:08   ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2000-11-14 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-11-14 20:02 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-11-14 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: rob pike <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>

@ 2000-11-14 20:01 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-11-14 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: David Gordon Hogan <dhog@plan9.bell-labs.com>

> Today it will be exactly 3 calendar months since I placed my
> DSL order.  I'm still waiting.  Verizon are telling Covad that
> there is a Short Term Facilities Issue with my new line, but
> they won't say what it is.

oh solid hogan, you gotta get some perspective.  my cable mob
in paris promised for TWO YEARS.  i got my adsl 6 months ago.
one of the reason i opted for digital cable.

* Re: [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-14 19:55 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-11-14 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-11-14 19:51 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2000-11-14 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Today it will be exactly 3 calendar months since I placed my
DSL order.  I'm still waiting.  Verizon are telling Covad that
there is a Short Term Facilities Issue with my new line, but
they won't say what it is.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1890 bytes --]

From: "Boyd Roberts" <boyd@planete.net>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:45:29 +0100

From: David Gordon Hogan <dhog@plan9.bell-labs.com>

> I'm personally getting quite sick of typing "atdt<number>^M

phone was for voice.  modems suck the mop [thanks td].

* Re: [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-14 19:45   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-11-14 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: David Gordon Hogan <dhog@plan9.bell-labs.com>

@ 2000-11-14 19:41 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-11-14 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I started writing a scripting language for it and got distracted by
looking at the Unix one, expect(?).  I'll get back to it eventually or someone
else should do it.  Then we could have standard scripts for different
ISP's and avoid a lot of typing.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1604 bytes --]

From: David Gordon Hogan <dhog@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:19:02 -0500

@ 2000-11-14 19:19 ` David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2000-11-14 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-11-14 18:50 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2000-11-14 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

With the help of:
nigel@9fs.org presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com miller@hamnavoe.demon.co.uk
I believe I have managed to be able to log on to my ISP.
This involved applying the PAP patch to PPP and using the script:
ip/ppp -s $host:$pass -uf -p '#t/eia1' -b115200
then,
atdt0,5303333^M

When I test the "log on" status with,
term% ip/ping 195.121.1.34 there  seems to be a connection.

What I have not done yet is provide for my
ISPs Domain Name Servers dns=195.121.1.34 and
My ISPs server uses DYNAMIC IP numbers.

I suspect I will need to put that information
the ipconfig command.

I hope I have documented this well enough so others can apply
it to their own situation. I know the archives have been useful to me
as well as the feedback from my postings.

Bill

* [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-13 19:37 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2000-11-13 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1172 bytes --]

From: William Staniewicz <wstan>
To: presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com
Subject: Re: your mail
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:33:13 +0100

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 12:53:08PM -0500, presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> It looks like you just aren't talking to the modem.  If you can come
> up standalone, try just this:
>
> 	con -l /dev/eia1
>
> and then see if you can get a response from it.  It should respond
> to just at^M

Here are my results as I follow your advise posted above:

term% con -l /dev/eia1
at^M
OK

Furthermore, if I type in the command...

atdt0,5303333^M

... it dials the number. (I can here the dialing on the speaker.)

> What kind of modem is this?

According to the packing slip, it is a:

US Robotics x2 (56K) Data/Fax Modem for Win95

Currently, it works OK with my FreeBSD OS and Win95.

Bill

* Re: [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-13 17:22 ` William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2000-11-13 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 10:49:28AM -0500, presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> Try it without telco at all.  Just dial the number through ppp.  We
> can cross the telco bridge when we've got real connections.

I did this ...

> To dial through ppp:
>
> 	ip/ppp -fP -m 1500 -p /dev/eia1 -s $host:$pass

I then got a term% prompt ... followed the next step ...

> and when it prompts you type
>
> 	atdt0,5303333^M
>
> where '^M' is the ctrl key plus the m key.  The
> 'at' interface needs real carriage returns.

I waited for about a minute: Nothing happened. I never got
beyond this to the next step.

> After it's connected, just type
> 	^D
>
> If that works, we can go on to debugging telco
> or, better yet, ignore it completely.

Bill

* Re: [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-13 15:49 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-11-13 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wstan, 9fans

@ 2000-11-13 15:35 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2000-11-13 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Here is what I have done:

1.  Copied ppp.bod to /sys/src/cmd/ip/ppp
2.  % disk/kfscmd allow
3.  % chmod 777 ppp.bod
4.  % ppp.bod
        (Here, some info was provided telling me to use
        -X to extract.)
5.  % ppp.bod -X
        973778772/ppp.c: /sys/src/cmd/ip/ppp/ppp.c is not
        the original distribution file
        (A directory was created but not sure if this comment
         is telling me the patch was applied successfully.)
6.  Into /rc/bin/termrc I put:
    host=myloginname
    pass=myISPpassword
7.  I added the IP numbers of my ISPs Domain Name Servers
    so that my /lib/ndb/local looks like:
    database=
            file=/lib/ndb/local
            file=/lib/ndb/common
    dns=195.121.1.34
8.  My ISPs server uses DYNAMIC IP numbers.
9.  % telco /dev/eia1
    (Is there a way to set this up at boot time?)
    (There is maybe a 5 sec. pause at this time then
     the prompt is displayed.)
10. % ip/ppp -fP -m 1500 -p telco!0,5303333 -s $host:$pass
    (Modem dials out, about a min later I hear it disconnect
     and the following is displayed.)
    *s*: *s*: *r*
    telco 181: suicide: sys: trap: fault read addr=0x24448900
    pc=0x24448900
    (The process stops here...)

I think I am close to a solution on this. I appreciate the
help I have been given to get to this point. Can anyone
suggest what to do next?

Bill

* Re: [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-13 12:21 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2000-11-13 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 2.  Your command to connect to Demon UK includes '$host:$pass' ,
>     Should I put my login name and password directly in the
>     command line here or somewhere else?

You can type them directly in the command line, or set them as
shell (rc) variables if you are calling ip/ppp in a script.

> Once I get the PAP solved, I hope
> to connect to the internet and get email working.

I don't know of a simple step-by-step guide for this; you will want
to look at ndb(6), listen(8), mail(1) and smtpd(6).

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-11 14:08 nigel
From: nigel @ 2000-11-11 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

.bods are "bundles of diffs", or a form of patch used in 2nd edition Plan 9. The file
should be an rc script. Just run it to get a small amount of help on the arguments
needed to run it in anger.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2687 bytes --]

From: "William Staniewicz" <wstan@planet.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:23:02 +0100

Richard,

1.  How do I install the update you provided? Here is what I get:

% wrap/inst ppp.bod
archfs: reading archive: bad format
wrap/inst: no such package found

2.  Your command to connect to Demon UK includes '$host:$pass' ,
    Should I put my login name and password directly in the
    command line here or somewhere else?

I am using Plan9 as a standalone machine and have not configured
any network related items. Once I get the PAP solved, I hope
to connect to the internet and get email working. If you would
like to extend your reply to include those issues it would be
appreciated.

Bill

@ 2000-11-11  9:23 ` William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2000-11-11  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-11-09 15:30 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2000-11-09 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Oops .. after applying the PAP update to /sys/src/cmd/ip/ppp, you might want to
change the following line:

	netlog("PPP: pap: send authreq %d %s %s\n", c->id, ppp->chapname, ppp->secret);
	netlog("PPP: pap: send authreq %d %s %s\n", c->id, ppp->chapname, "****");

to prevent your ISP password from appearing in debugging output.

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-09 15:01 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2000-11-09 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I know CHAP is supported, but is it possible to
> connect to my ISP with PAP?

Attached is an update to /sys/src/cmd/ip/ppp (14 Oct version) to support
PAP authentication.  Note that although PAP is less secure than CHAP
(password is transmitted in cleartext), the specification says that
servers which provide both must offer CHAP first.

The command I use to connect to Demon UK is:

% ip/ppp -fP -m 1500 -p telco!0845-212-0666 -s $host:$pass

-- Richard

[-- Attachment #2: ppp.bod --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 4129 bytes --]

#!/bin/rc
#
# command: boddle /sys/src/cmd/ip/ppp .
# srcdir: /sys/src/cmd/ip/ppp
# version: 973778772
# date: Thu Nov 9 14:06:12 GMT 2000
#
myname=$0
doextract=no

fn usage{
  echo $myname: usage: $myname '[-X] [src-directory]' >[1=2]
  exit usage
}

fn sigint{
  rm -rf 973778772
  exit interrupt
}

while(~ $1 -*){
  switch($1){
  case -X
          doextract=yes
  case -*
          usage
  }
  shift
}

switch($#*){
case 0
  srcdir=/sys/src/cmd/ip/ppp
case 1
  srcdir=$1
case *
  usage
}

if(! ~ $doextract yes){
  echo This shell file contains a bundle of diffs representing changes
  echo to original source files in the Plan 9 distribution. It will run
  echo against the files in
  echo ' ' $srcdir
  echo '(unless overridden by the optional source directory argument)'
  echo and create a directory 973778772 containing the updated files.
  echo It will NOT automatically update the original files.
  echo
  echo Invoke with argument -X to perform the actual extraction.
  exit 0
}

rm -rf 973778772
mkdir 973778772

target=973778772/ppp.c
echo -n '973778772/ppp.c: '
if(! test -f $srcdir/ppp.c || ! test -r $srcdir/ppp.c){
  echo $srcdir/ppp.c unreadable
  exit unreadable
}
sum=`{sum < $srcdir/ppp.c}
if(! ~ 904fd29c49640  $sum(1)^$sum(2)){
  echo $srcdir/ppp.c is not the original distribution file
  exit original
}
cp $srcdir/ppp.c 973778772/ppp.c
sed s/.// <<'//GO.SYSIN DD VADIM ppp.c' | ed 973778772/ppp.c >/dev/null >[2=1]
-1919a
-static void
-papinit(PPP *ppp)
-{
-	Block *b;
-	Lcpmsg *m;
-	Chap *c;
-	int len, nlen, slen;
-
-	c = ppp->chap;
-	c->id++;
-	netlog("PPP: pap: send authreq %d %s %s\n", c->id, ppp->chapname, ppp->secret);
-
-	nlen = strlen(ppp->chapname);
-	slen = strlen(ppp->secret);
-	len = 4 + 1 + nlen + 1 + slen;
-	b = alloclcp(Pauthreq, c->id, len, &m);
-
-	*b->wptr++ = nlen;
-	memmove(b->wptr, ppp->chapname, nlen);
-	b->wptr += nlen;
-	*b->wptr++ = slen;
-	memmove(b->wptr, ppp->secret, slen);
-	b->wptr += slen;
-	hnputs(m->len, len);
-	putframe(ppp, Ppasswd, b);
-	freeb(b);
-}
-
-static void
-getpap(PPP *ppp, Block *b)
-{
-	Lcpmsg *m;
-	int len;
-
-	m = (Lcpmsg*)b->rptr;
-	len = 4;
-	if(BLEN(b) < 4 || BLEN(b) < (len = nhgets(m->len))){
-		syslog(0, LOG, "short pap message (%ld < %d)", BLEN(b), len);
-		freeb(b);
-		return;
-	}
-	if(len < sizeof(Lcpmsg))
-		m->data[0] = 0;
-
-	qlock(ppp);
-	switch(m->code){
-	case Pauthack:
-		netlog("PPP: pap succeeded\n");
-		setphase(ppp, Pnet);
-		break;
-	case Pauthnak:
-		netlog("PPP: pap failed (%d:%.*s)\n", m->data[0], m->data[0], (char*)m->data+1);
-		dying = 1;
-	}
-	qunlock(ppp);
-	freeb(b);
-}
-.
-1415a
-		case Ppasswd:
-			getpap(ppp, b);
-			break;
-.
-942a
-			if(pap)
-				ppp->chap->proto = APpasswd;
-.
-799a
-				if(proto == Ppasswd && !server){
-					pap = 1;
-					continue;
-				}
-.
-754a
-	pap = 0;
-.
-738c
-	ulong rejecting, nacking, flags, proto, pap;
-.
-240a
-		else if(ppp->chap->proto == APpasswd)
-			papinit(ppp);
-.
-91a
-static	void		papinit(PPP*);
-static	void		getpap(PPP*, Block*);
-.
-wq
//GO.SYSIN DD VADIM ppp.c
sum=`{sum < 973778772/ppp.c}
if(~ 76e4eaf151025  $sum(1)^$sum(2))
  echo
if not{
  echo 973778772/ppp.c checksum error creating updated file
  exit checksum
}
target=973778772/ppp.h
echo -n '973778772/ppp.h: '
if(! test -f $srcdir/ppp.h || ! test -r $srcdir/ppp.h){
  echo $srcdir/ppp.h unreadable
  exit unreadable
}
sum=`{sum < $srcdir/ppp.h}
if(! ~ 386b09777989  $sum(1)^$sum(2)){
  echo $srcdir/ppp.h is not the original distribution file
  exit original
}
cp $srcdir/ppp.h 973778772/ppp.h
sed s/.// <<'//GO.SYSIN DD VADIM ppp.h' | ed 973778772/ppp.h >/dev/null >[2=1]
-134a
-
-	/* Pap codes */
-	Pauthreq=	1,
-	Pauthack=	2,
-	Pauthnak=	3,
-.
-113a
-	APpasswd=	Ppasswd,		/* use Pap, not Chap */
-.
-wq
//GO.SYSIN DD VADIM ppp.h
sum=`{sum < 973778772/ppp.h}
if(~ b5120e548094  $sum(1)^$sum(2))
  echo
if not{
  echo 973778772/ppp.h checksum error creating updated file
  exit checksum
}

* [9fans] connecting to ISP with PAP?
@ 2000-11-08 22:53 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2000-11-08 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I know CHAP is supported, but is it possible to
connect to my ISP with PAP?

I have read the manuals for ppp and con and telco
but cant seem to get logged on successfully.

I've tried,

	telco /dev/eia1
	con -l telco!5551212

		(this gets me dialed in, but not
		 logged on)

Also tried,

	ip/ppp -p /dev/eia1 -s myusername:password -t atdt5551212

		(The only thing this does is produce a clicking
		 sound as my modem responds. There is no dialtone
		 or anything else that follows)

/Bill
wstanREMOVETHIS@planet.nl