* Re: [9fans] Fileserver setup problems
@ 2001-03-14 14:31 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-03-14 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the next thing after arginit() is userinit(touser...) which creates
a process that fairly quickly prints `sysinit'.  normally i'd expect
it to get at least that far regardless of configuration.

i'd suspect it has messed up the memory calculations.
how much memory does the kernel claim the system has got?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1778 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: Re: [9fans] Fileserver setup problems
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:07:41 -0600

It does not print anything at all.

@ 2001-03-14 14:52 ` Ed Brown
From: Ed Brown @ 2001-03-14 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The kernels states:
iobufinit 56986 buffers; 7127 hashes
mem left = 22368255
out of = 268435456

which if I am reading correctly is exactly 256Mb.  When the memory test
ends just before the tekram card bios is loaded the system shows 262144K memory (also
256Mb).

@ 2001-03-15  9:07 Jean Mehat
From: Jean Mehat @ 2001-03-15  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If your fs still hangs even if ide's
> aren't specified then the trouble is something more fundamental
> than disks

I have seen this (9pcdisk, 9pccpudisk working ok, 9fs hanging very soon after
config) with a cuv4xm motherboard. CHanging the motherboard solved the problem.

* Re: [9fans] Fileserver setup problems
@ 2001-03-15  5:19     ` Ed Brown
From: Ed Brown @ 2001-03-15  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Eric Dorman wrote:
	> Another thing to check would be to use a fsconfig that doesn't
	> have IDE disks specified...

After first overcoming a problem with wwvtime(),
thanks to Charles Forsyth, I tried leaving the
ide drive out.  Its absence doesn't seem to get
me any further.  Although now with a fake_wwvtime
I am hanging a little later at:
   current fs is "main"

Forsyth suggested copying the
clone directory in /sys/src/fs to a staging
directory and compile there.  The clone directory
has a fakewwv().  With new 9pcfs variations my
fsconfig is now returning ide and scsi info
(most off the screen).  I have added print
statements to determine what is causing the
hang up, but the print statements come back in
an unexpected sequence.

Any pointers/ideas?  Am I any closer to having a
file server?

-ed

* Re: [9fans] Fileserver setup problems
@ 2001-03-15  2:44   ` Eric Dorman
From: Eric Dorman @ 2001-03-15  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ed Brown wrote:
> It does not print anything at all.
> forsyth@vitanuova.com wrote:
> >
> > does the file server print anything at all after you type `end'?
> > if so, what are the last few lines?
> > normally it burbles a bit before it does anything.

Another thing to check would be to use a fsconfig that doesn't
have IDE disks specified.  I'm *pretty*sure* that stuff gets
printed (like "Devinit D15" and the like) *before* the ide
driver tries to initialize it's disks, but it's been awhile
since I've done that.  If your fs still hangs even if ide's
aren't specified then the trouble is something more fundamental
than disks.. I think it wiggles IDE's first before other
stuff.

Maybe I'll try it tonite and trace the path..

--eric

* Re: [9fans] Fileserver setup problems
@ 2001-03-14 14:35   ` Ed Brown
From: Ed Brown @ 2001-03-14 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I assembled this machine last week.
As part of testing it I loaded the basic
plan9 setup on its ide drive booted it up,
tested its network card and checked its
scsi drive by trying:
   disk/mbr /dev/sd00/data
and then looking at it with
   disk/fdisk /dev/sd00/data
I had no problem.  I have since examined
the internal scsi LVD/SE terminator that
came with the Tekram card. I located it at
the end of the ribbon cable after the drive.
It's on there solid.  The Tekram card is
suppose to provide the termination for the
other end (I only have the one scsi drive on
the chain) The Tekram bios can verify the
disk and I have done a low level format
as well.

It appears to be properly terminated and
available.

@ 2001-03-14 14:18 ` Martin Harriss
From: Martin Harriss @ 2001-03-14 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-03-14 14:15 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-03-14 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-03-14 14:07 ` Ed Brown
From: Ed Brown @ 2001-03-14 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-03-14 13:44 Ed Brown
From: Ed Brown @ 2001-03-14 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Help. My fileserver hangs after I type
"end" to the initial fsconfig session.

I have tried 9pfs with and without
Eric Dorman's IDE modifications.  And,
I have tried several fsconfig
incantations.

Oddly, Plan9 never gets the CPU right.
It reports the CPU as a
736Mhz(and on occasion 735Mhz)
GenuineIntel Pentium III/Xeon
cpuID: AX 0x0686 DX 0x383f9ff
But,

My machine:
  Asus CUSL2-C motherboard
	with 733Mhz Celeron
	256 MB Ram
  Tekram DC-390U2W SCSI controller
  18Gb Quantum Atlas drive (SCSI)
  30Gb Western Digital (IDE)
  Speedstar A50 AGP vga card
  Intel 8255x 10/100 PCI ethernet
    also tried
  Netgear FA310TX PCI ethernet card

plan9.ini:
  ether0=type=i82557
  scsi0=type=ncr53c8xx
  nvr=fd!0!plan9.nvr
  bootfile=fd0!dos!9pcfs

The fsconfig incantation:
  service mini
  config w0
  filsys main cp(w0)0.12fp(h0)0.85
  filsys dump o
  filsys tdta p(w0)12.88
  filsys sdta p(h0)85.15
  ream main
  ream tdta
  ream sdta
  ip 140.140.140.6
  ipmask 255.255.0.0
  ipauth 140.140.140.5
  end

Is there something dumb I am doing here?
(The ip is bogus, but the network is strictly
internal)

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

-ed