* Re: [9fans] Booting Plan9
@ 2001-03-27  8:52 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-03-27  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>from the disk. This does not work at all because the Windows ME idea of a
>>boot record may be different from Windows 98 or NT.

it's not so much the boot record as the config.sys and other
files that aren't used in ME.  it just occurred to me that
the bootwinnt option (see /sys/lib/pcdist/inst/bootwinnt)
updates a file boot.ini instead; perhaps that's usable on ME.
i haven't got my ME machine with me to experiment.

>>    However when I try to boot from the boot floppy it hangs after it says
>>its booting the image from sdC0. The message I get is panic: kernel iunlock.
>>I've looked at the code in code in /sys/src/boot/pc and I cannot find this
>>message though there seem to be iunlocks associated with ethernet drivers.

panic: iunlock is there.  is it really `kernel iunlock'?

>>   I have a 3COM PCMCIA 3C905C lan card. Would this cause a problem?  The
>>CPU is a 1.2 Gig Athlon.

is it really PCMCIA?  the only PCMCIA 3com cards supported (i believe) are 3c589, 3c562
and some minor variants.  normally 3C905 is a PCI card.  i'll see if i can find a 905C
card here that's not in use, to test it.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2352 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: [9fans] Booting Plan9
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:25:42 GMT

Hi
    I'm trying to install Plan9 on a new PC. I've got 3 partitions. Windows
ME hogs the first two and I'm trying to install Plan 9 on the third
partition (its about 30 GB).
    The installation of Plan 9 goes through quite successfully. I have no
problems with the VGA (ATI Xpert 98) and unpack proceeds well.
    Finally at bootsetup I created a boot floppy and I also opted to boot

@ 2001-03-29  8:26 ` Michael H. Collins
From: Michael H. Collins @ 2001-03-29  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have sucessfully used many 3c905c cards.  The work no p.  Don't even
have to spec the io and irq.

forsyth@vitanuova.com wrote:

 normally 3C905 is a PCI card.  i'll see if i can find a 905C
> card here that's not in use, to test it.

> [9fans] Booting Plan9
>
> Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:25:42 GMT
>
> cse.psu.edu!9fans
>

> Hi
>     I'm trying to install Plan9 on a new PC. I've got 3 partitions. Windows
> ME hogs the first two and I'm trying to install Plan 9 on the third
> partition (its about 30 GB).
>     The installation of Plan 9 goes through quite successfully. I have no
> problems with the VGA (ATI Xpert 98) and unpack proceeds well.
>     Finally at bootsetup I created a boot floppy and I also opted to boot
> from the disk. This does not work at all because the Windows ME idea of a
> boot record may be different from Windows 98 or NT.
>     However when I try to boot from the boot floppy it hangs after it says
> its booting the image from sdC0. The message I get is panic: kernel iunlock.
> I've looked at the code in code in /sys/src/boot/pc and I cannot find this
> message though there seem to be iunlocks associated with ethernet drivers.
>    I have a 3COM PCMCIA 3C905C lan card. Would this cause a problem?  The
> CPU is a 1.2 Gig Athlon.

> Part 1.1

> text/plain
> 7bit

> Part 1.2.1

> Part 1.2

* Re: [9fans] Booting Plan9
@ 2001-03-29 14:06 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-03-29 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>> yes, it works with the drivers from 14 october.
>>>

>>I don't think this is quite true. When we looked at it Jean
>>Mehat and I found the 905C seems to need a Tx/Rx reset when it
>>comes up with power-management enabled internally and because

obviously i ought to have said:  all i know is that
it works better with the drivers from 14 october
than it did with the older ones!

* Re: [9fans] Booting Plan9
@ 2001-03-29 13:44 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-03-29 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Mar 29 03:40:35 EST 2001, mhtexcollins@austin.rr.com wrote:
> I have sucessfully used many 3c905c cards.  The work no p.  Don't even
> have to spec the io and irq.

and

On Thu Mar 29 03:51:29 EST 2001, forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:
> >>I have sucessfully used many 3c905c cards.  The work no p.  Don't even
> >>have to spec the io and irq.
>
> yes, it works with the drivers from 14 october.

I don't think this is quite true. When we looked at it Jean
Mehat and I found the 905C seems to need a Tx/Rx reset when it
comes up with power-management enabled internally and because
of my laziness there are paths through the initialisation code
where no reset will be done; it all depends on how the card is
internally configured and the result of the autonegotiation.

The missing Tx/Rx reset will apear in the next update (I don't
know how it was missed out when the other 905C chnages went in
last October) but the fix is to add
	txrxreset(port);
after
	if(did == 0x9055 || did == 0x9200){

At least, that was our limited understanding of the problem.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] Booting Plan9
@ 2001-03-29  8:48 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-03-29  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Michael H. Collins @ 2001-03-29  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

That is the one.  works well.

Sadanand Warrier wrote:

>> is it really PCMCIA?  the only PCMCIA 3com cards supported (i believe) are
>
> 3c589, 3c562
>
>> and some minor variants.  normally 3C905 is a PCI card.  i'll see if i can
>
> find a 905C
>
>> card here that's not in use, to test it.
>>

>   My mistake . It is a PCI card. To be exact
>
> 3COM 3C905C-TX 10/100 Etherlink IIIB PCI Ethernet adapter OEM,
>     Twisted Pair(RJ-45) Only. With network wake-up feature.
>
> Would this cause a problem.

* Re: [9fans] Booting Plan9
@ 2001-03-28 13:37 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-03-28 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Mar 28 04:01:29 EST 2001, DAGwyn@null.net wrote:
> jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> > Not only that. Between the 905B and 905C some compatibility features
> > with older cards were dropped and the driver had to be told how to
> > cope.
>
> So how do we get an updated driver?

The timing of yesterday's distribution update was due to internal reasons
and for other reasons I was unable to participate much. Consequently there
will likely be a small update in a week or so contining a number of driver
fixes which should have made it out.

* Re: [9fans] Booting Plan9
@ 2001-03-28  8:37 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-03-28  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-03-27 15:35 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-03-27 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i thought the 905C worked as of the 14th october update.
mind you, we yesterday had trouble with a 3c509b, and i thought
that worked too.  similar problem: hang on boot.
i haven't had a chance to look at that yet.

* Re: [9fans] Booting Plan9
@ 2001-03-27 15:27 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-03-27 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-03-27 14:35 Jean Mehat
From: Jean Mehat @ 2001-03-27 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-03-27 13:28 Sadanand Warrier
From: Sadanand Warrier @ 2001-03-27 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans@cse.psu.edu'

> is it really PCMCIA?  the only PCMCIA 3com cards supported (i believe) are
3c589, 3c562
> and some minor variants.  normally 3C905 is a PCI card.  i'll see if i can
find a 905C
> card here that's not in use, to test it.

  My mistake . It is a PCI card. To be exact

3COM 3C905C-TX 10/100 Etherlink IIIB PCI Ethernet adapter OEM,
    Twisted Pair(RJ-45) Only. With network wake-up feature.

Would this cause a problem.

* [9fans] Booting Plan9
@ 2001-03-27  8:25 Sadanand Warrier