* [9fans] History
@ 2000-11-09 18:34 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-11-09 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Now that you've recovered your breath from laughing uproariously at my
joke this morning - oh, was that politics you were laughing at?  sorry
- anyway, here's what I do for history.  I've sent them before but I
keep tweaking them and maybe it's time to send them again.  You need
to fix the pattern to match your prompt.  It's an exercise for the
reader to see how they work and how to use them.  Based on an idea
from rsc, I think.  I hardly ever use them when I have a mouse, but if
I'm stuck with a nipple-mouse I use them a lot.

-rob

% cat /bin/"
#!/bin/rc

rfork en

if(test -r /mnt/acme/acme/body)
	bind /mnt/acme/acme/body /dev/text

PROMPT='[^ 	]*%+[ 	]+'

fn cmds {
	grep '^'$PROMPT'[^"]' /dev/text | sed 's/^/	/'
}

switch($#*) {
case 0
	cmds | tail -1
case *
	cmds | grep '^	'$PROMPT^$"* | {echo; cat} |
		pr -t -n | sort -nr | sort -u +1 | sort -n |
		sed 's/^ *[0-9]+	//' | grep .
}

# the silly {echo; cat} gets around pr printing "empty file" when
# presented with no input.
% cat /bin/""
#!/bin/rc

rfork e

PROMPT='[^ 	]*%+[ 	]+'

_x = `{" $* | tail -1}
if(~ $#_x 0) {
	echo no such command found
	exit notfound
}

echo $_x
_x=`{ echo -n 'eval '; echo $_x | sed 's/^'$PROMPT'//'}
rc -c $"_x
%

* [9fans] Need the CS Troff Font to Print the Sam Tutorial
@ 2001-01-03 20:57 ` Mark C. Otto
From: Mark C. Otto @ 2001-01-03 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I was trying to troff the sam tutorial in /sys/doc/sam but found that it does
not have the CS font in /sys/lib/troff/font/devutf/.  I verified it does not
come with the distribution.  Could someone tell me where I could:  (1) download
the font, (2) find a reasonable substitute for it, or (3) find another tutorial
or set of example beyond the document and manual.  Not surprisingly, sam is so
much easier to do multi-line edits than sed, but there's a lot of potential I am
missing.

Thanks for any help.
Mark

* [9fans] How to use POP3 as Part of upas/fs
@ 2001-08-30 14:58 ` Mark Otto
From: Mark Otto @ 2001-08-30 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have been using Russ's pop3fs to get my mail but am having trouble
setting it up now that it is part of upas/fs.  In particular, how does
it handle a POP3 user name that is different from my plan9 name
and how do I specify my POP3 password, mail collection rate and not
to use an APOP password.

I updated my plan9 distribution to the current June 5 partial update.
I have a standalone plan9 terminal.
I saw that pop3fs was part of upas/fs now.  I followed the instructions
on the Mail Configuration page, starting it using:

upas/fs -f '/pop3/MySMTPServer/First Last'

I got the following error:

upas/fs: opening mailbox: file does not exist

I think this may happen at /sys/src/cmd/upas/fs/fs.c:221 and may be
because my mailbox is /mail/box/Plan9UserName not
'/mail/box/First Last'.  The Fish and Wildlife Service determines
the account names, and they use names with spaces in them.  (Problems
living within a Windows network with a Lotus Bloat mail
server)  To account for the different user names, I tried

upas/fs -m/mail/box/Plan9UserName -f '/pop3/MySMTPServer/First Last'

with the same result.

I am a little confused why fs can't find the mailbox file because
the program looks like it makes a directory or mbox if either do not
exist.

Has anyone else set up the pop3 part of upas/fs and is using POP3?

Thanks.
Mark

* Re: [9fans] How to use POP3 as Part of upas/fs
@ 2001-08-30 19:16 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-08-30 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

try upas/fs -f '/pop/mysmtpserver/first last'
(not /pop3/.  it changed to be consistent
with /apop/ not /apop3/.)