* [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-26 17:46 Dan Cross
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-02-26 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Here's a question; how many people read comp.os.plan9 versus how many people
are on 9fans?  The issue has been raised that comp.os.plan9 and 9fans have
very different spirits, and should, perhaps, be divorced from one another.
What are people's opinions on this?

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-26 23:58 ` paurea
From: paurea @ 2002-02-26 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dan Cross writes:
 > Here's a question; how many people read comp.os.plan9 versus how many people
 > are on 9fans?  The issue has been raised that comp.os.plan9 and 9fans have
 > very different spirits, and should, perhaps, be divorced from one another.
 > What are people's opinions on this?

I think this is a very little community and splitting it is not a good idea.
Also I like to be able to read 9fans at different places using the news.
--
                 Saludos,
                         Gorka

"Curiosity sKilled the cat"

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-27  4:41 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-02-27  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 12:46:26PM -0500, Dan Cross wrote:

> Here's a question; how many people read comp.os.plan9 versus how many people
> are on 9fans?  The issue has been raised that comp.os.plan9 and 9fans have
> very different spirits, and should, perhaps, be divorced from one another.
> What are people's opinions on this?

I have no access to Usenet News and in general prefer
the opt-in feature of mailing lists.  But I have provided mail-to-news
gateways in the past because the underlying NetNews system is, in my
opinion, better suited to tracking messages and subject threads.

For 9fans, I think the present approach is quite reasonable and would
not be improved by the obvious change.  There may well be some other
change that would improve matters, but I don't know what that is
likely to be.

++L

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-27  7:17 ` Tomas
From: Tomas @ 2002-02-27  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 at 12:46pm, Dan Cross wrote:

> Here's a question; how many people read comp.os.plan9 versus
> how many people are on 9fans? The issue has been raised that
> comp.os.plan9 and 9fans have very different spirits, and
> should, perhaps, be divorced from one another. What are
> people's opinions on this?

I subscribe to both 9fans and comp.os.plan9, and have my
newsreader set up to kill any message with [9fans] in the subject
line. This leaves me with less than one message per week to read
in comp.os.plan9, and it's usually a message that I have already
read in 9fans but for some reason the mail->news gateway hasn't
added the [9fans] tag to it, or, perhaps more likely, the person
who posted it sent it to both 9fans and comp.os.plan9.

So unless my newsfeed for comp.os.plan9 is bad and I'm missing
lots of posts, I can't understand where this idea of different
spirits comes from, since as far as I can see it's virtually the
same discussions in both forums.

I say don't divorce the two.

/Tomas - now, if only I could get my mouse working in Plan9...

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-27 10:20   ` Sam Hopkins
From: Sam Hopkins @ 2002-02-27 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yeah, the ability to use google's deja.com search on the 9fans
has helped me several times.

Sam

On Tuesday 26 February 2002 18:58, you wrote:
> Dan Cross writes:
>  > Here's a question; how many people read comp.os.plan9 versus how many
>  > people are on 9fans?  The issue has been raised that comp.os.plan9 and
>  > 9fans have very different spirits, and should, perhaps, be divorced from
>  > one another. What are people's opinions on this?
>
> I think this is a very little community and splitting it is not a good
> idea. Also I like to be able to read 9fans at different places using the
> news.

* [9fans] Re: [9 fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-27 10:21   ` Anthony Mandic
From: Anthony Mandic @ 2002-02-27 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Tomas wrote:

> I subscribe to both 9fans and comp.os.plan9, and have my
> newsreader set up to kill any message with [9fans] in the subject
> line.

	The only problem with that is you don't then catch any
	reply posts (since these adopt the same subject line).
	I've added a space in this one to bypass your filter and
	allow you to see it.

	Or do newsgroup posts somehow get sent to the list as well?

[Moderator's note: Yes, the newsgroup posts are injected into the
                   plan9 mailing list.  This *doesn't* blow up in
                   an endless loop when the same article on the
                   mailing list come to be re-injected into the News
                   system.  The News software knows it has seen the
                   Message-ID and discards the article.]

> So unless my newsfeed for comp.os.plan9 is bad and I'm missing
> lots of posts, I can't understand where this idea of different
> spirits comes from, since as far as I can see it's virtually the
> same discussions in both forums.

	I read the newsgroup since I dislike to receive email
	from mailing lists.

-am	© 2002

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-27 19:28   ` Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2002-02-27 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 12:46:26PM -0500, Dan Cross wrote:

> Here's a question; how many people read comp.os.plan9 versus how many people
> are on 9fans?  The issue has been raised that comp.os.plan9 and 9fans have
> very different spirits, and should, perhaps, be divorced from one another.
> What are people's opinions on this?

How would you characterise the different spirits of the two groups, and
what advantage would you see to either group in a split?

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-27 21:17     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-02-27 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 12:46:26PM -0500, Dan Cross wrote:
> > Here's a question; how many people read comp.os.plan9 versus how many people
> > are on 9fans?  The issue has been raised that comp.os.plan9 and 9fans have
> > very different spirits, and should, perhaps, be divorced from one another.
> > What are people's opinions on this?
>
> How would you characterise the different spirits of the two groups, and
> what advantage would you see to either group in a split?

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that they have two different spirits;
the issue was raised to me, not the other way around.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-27 21:38       ` Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2002-02-27 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that they have two different spirits;
>the issue was raised to me, not the other way around.
>
>	- Dan C.

It's hard to see any point in changing, unless the person who raised the
issue has a really compelling justification.

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-27 21:40         ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-02-27 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It certainly seems that the overwhelming majority would like to see things
remain as they are.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-27 22:14           ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2002-02-27 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It certainly seems that the overwhelming majority would like to see things
> remain as they are.

I would sometimes like a digest with gated entry. 9fans is the torah which
as we know, can mean anything to kabbalists depending on what dice-throw
algorithm they use to select the words to read.

A monoatheistical selection of the analects would be more useful

	'The gospel according to pike'

being different to:

	'The apocryphal book of boyd'

but both having their place.

Of course, we also need a concordance. And, translation into Aramaic.

-George

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-28  9:58         ` Thomas Bushnell, BSG
From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG @ 2002-02-28  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

andrew@mbmnz.co.nz (Andrew Simmons) writes:

> It's hard to see any point in changing, unless the person who raised the
> issue has a really compelling justification.

I raised the issue, in response to the claim that a posting was not
approprate for comp.os.plan9, on the grounds that it is gatewayed to
9fans, which is only for fans of Plan 9.

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-28 19:55             ` Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2002-02-28 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

George Michaelson  wrote:

>A monoatheistical selection of the analects would be more useful
>
>	'The gospel according to pike'
>
>being different to:
>
>	'The apocryphal book of boyd'
>
>but both having their place.

Good concept. Perhaps we could also have a special section for the words of
the prophet Bushnell, crying out in the wilderness - "The GNU Public
Licence is a jealous Licence, Thou shalt have none other Licence but me"

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-03-01 10:03               ` Thomas Bushnell, BSG
From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG @ 2002-03-01 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

andrew@mbmnz.co.nz (Andrew Simmons) writes:

> Good concept. Perhaps we could also have a special section for the words of
> the prophet Bushnell, crying out in the wilderness - "The GNU Public
> Licence is a jealous Licence, Thou shalt have none other Licence but me"

Oh, heck no!  The GPL is only one of several rites within the Church
of Free Software.  We respect all the other rites.

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-03-01 16:04             ` ozan s yigit
From: ozan s yigit @ 2002-03-01 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>A monoatheistical selection of the analects would be more useful
>
>	'The gospel according to pike'
>
>being different to:
>
>	'The apocryphal book of boyd'
>
>but both having their place.

Zen Student: So Master, is the soul immortal or not? Do we survive
our bodily death or do we get annihilated? Do we really reincarnate?
Does our soul split up into component parts which get recycled, or do
we as a single unit enter the body of a biological organism? And do we
retain our memories or not? Or is the doctrine of reincarnation false?
Is perhaps the christian notion of survival more correct? And if so,
do we get bodily resurrected, or does our soul enter a purely
platonic spiritual realm?

Master: Your breakfast is getting cold.

[from: Raymond M. Smullyan, "The Tao is Silent", Harper & Row, 1977]
---
oz