* [9fans] OT: sam on XP
@ 2002-02-28  4:37 Micah Stetson
From: Micah Stetson @ 2002-02-28  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I know this isn't exactly Plan 9 related, but has anyone
here used the Windows version of sam on Windows XP?
I don't have the computer nearby at the moment, so I
can't give a very exact report.  But if I remember, it
seems like the host part dies if I type anything in the
command window.  The terminal part stays running, but
you can't do anything with it and all of the menu items
are parenthesized.  This is on a new Sony VAIO, again,
I don't have it here and I don't recall the exact
specificaitons.

Thanks in advance,

Micah

* Re: [9fans] OT: sam on XP
@ 2002-02-28 16:02 ` AMSRL-CI-CN
From: AMSRL-CI-CN @ 2002-02-28 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Micah Stetson" <micah@cnm-vra.com> wrote in message
> I know this isn't exactly Plan 9 related, but has anyone
> here used the Windows version of sam on Windows XP?

Yeah.  You can fix it by selecting Properties for the invoking icon
and setting it up with an earlier environment, e.g. Windows 98
if using Windows XP Home Edition.

* Re: [9fans] OT: sam on XP
@ 2002-03-03  8:03   ` Micah Stetson
From: Micah Stetson @ 2002-03-03  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Yeah.  You can fix it by selecting Properties for the invoking icon
> and setting it up with an earlier environment, e.g. Windows 98
> if using Windows XP Home Edition.

Hmmn.  This didn't seem to fix it.  Using the sam from netlib,
the behaviour is the same no matter what the setting in
the Compatability tab.  Using the one form the Plan 9 updates
page, it behave the same except that if I set the compatibility
mode to "Windows 95" it gives some error about not being able
to initialize.  I'll try to get a hold of the exact message
next week.  But when the setting is not "Windows 95", it starts
up and will allow me to use the mouse for a little while (I
can open the menu a couple of times or create and place a new
window).  But after that, or immediately if I try to use the
keyboard, the program stops responding at all.

Thanks for your help,

Micah

* Re: [9fans] OT: sam on XP
@ 2002-03-05  3:02 ` kim kubik
From: kim kubik @ 2002-03-05  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Micah Stetson wrote:

> I know this isn't exactly Plan 9 related, but has anyone
> here used the Windows version of sam on Windows XP?
> if I remember, it
> seems like the host part dies if I type anything in the
> command window.  The terminal part stays running, but
> you can't do anything with it and all of the menu items
> are parenthesized.

I've had similar problem just recently when they
"upgraded" the Compaq at work running NT. I start
sam from the DOS cmd line with a filename, the file
can be opened in sam, the menus, cut/paste, etc
work, until I click in the command window.  Then
everything freezes.  As far as I know there were
no OS software changes (the system boots off the
network - I'm not even supposed to know there is
a C:\ drive) and as this is a contract job that
was supposed to end a month ago I just chalked it
up to MS garbage and didn't think I should bother
mentioning it.

Funny thing is, every once in a while sam does work,
but there is nothing consistent I can see as to why.

Wish I could help . . .

 - kim