* [9fans] Plan 9 GSoC projects selected
@ 2011-04-27 17:47 Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2011-04-27 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plan9-gsoc; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Folks:
	The official selection of project for our participation in GSoC is now
complete. We ended up selecting two proposals. They are:

• Unification of X11 code and wsys device, by Jesús Galán López [1]

• Replace html generation in wikifs(4), by Mikhail Kuryshev [2]

	Folks signed up as mentors with melange should be able see the
details of both of those, as well as the discussions that went on leading
to selection. The plan9-gsoc Google Group[3] will get the play-by-play as
the summer progresses, and we'll keep 9fans updated with the major
milestones. We're now into the "community bonding" period, leading up
to the start of coding on May 24.

	If you are one of the students who submitted a proposal which was
not accepted, thanks for applying and we hope you'll stick around. While
our slots for GSoC are limited, we're always interested in good
contributors in any context. If you'd like specific feedback on your
proposal beyond what was in the feedback in Melange, feel free to ask
me directly or stop by #plan9-gsoc on freenode.

Looking forward to another great summer,
Anthony

[1]	http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/yiyus/1
[2]	http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/tensai_cirno/1
[3]	http://groups.google.com/group/plan9-gsoc

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 GSoC projects selected
@ 2011-04-29 12:43 ` Ethan Grammatikidis
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-04-29 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 27 Apr 2011, at 6:47 pm, Anthony Sorace wrote:

> • Unification of X11 code and wsys device, by Jesús Galán López [1]
[...]
> [1]	http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/
> gsoc2011/yiyus/1

I'm a bit curious about this one but all I get from the link is "This
proposal is not made public, and you are not the student who
submitted the proposal, nor are you a mentor for the organization it
was submitted to."

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 GSoC projects selected
@ 2011-04-29 13:22   ` yy
From: yy @ 2011-04-29 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2011/4/29 Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57@fastmail.fm>:

> On 27 Apr 2011, at 6:47 pm, Anthony Sorace wrote:
>>
>> • Unification of X11 code and wsys device, by Jesús Galán López [1]
>
> [...]
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/yiyus/1
>
> I'm a bit curious about this one but all I get from the link is "This
> proposal is not made public, and you are not the student who submitted the
> proposal, nor are you a mentor for the organization it was submitted to."

You can read a short abstract here:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2011/yiyus/22001

The main idea is to avoid the duplication of xlib dependent code in
inferno, p9p, 9vx and drawterm and write a wsys device to use the
window manager of the host system through a file server similar to
rio(4). If the new x11 code will be a library or some sort of p9p's
devdraw(1) and if the wsys device will be an inferno/drawterm/9vx
kernel device or an external program serving 9P are open questions
yet.

Feel free to ask if you want to know more.

--
- yiyus || JGL .

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 GSoC projects selected
@ 2011-04-29 13:39     ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-04-29 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 29 Apr 2011, at 2:22 pm, yy wrote:

> You can read a short abstract here:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2011/yiyus/22001
>
> The main idea is to avoid the duplication of xlib dependent code in
> inferno, p9p, 9vx and drawterm and write a wsys device to use the
> window manager of the host system through a file server similar to
> rio(4). If the new x11 code will be a library or some sort of p9p's
> devdraw(1) and if the wsys device will be an inferno/drawterm/9vx
> kernel device or an external program serving 9P are open questions
> yet.
>
> Feel free to ask if you want to know more.

Oh, could be good.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 GSoC projects selected
@ 2011-04-29 13:53   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2011-04-29 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Apr 29, 2011, at 8:43 AM, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:

> On 27 Apr 2011, at 6:47 pm, Anthony Sorace wrote:
>>
>> • Unification of X11 code and wsys device, by Jesús Galán López [1]
> [...]
>>
>> [1]	http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/yiyus/1
>
> I'm a bit curious about this one but all I get from the link is "This proposal is not made public, and you are not the student who submitted the proposal, nor are you a mentor for the organization it was submitted to."

yeah, unfortunately the melange links are only visible to folks signed up with us
in it. if you'd like details or general discussion, i'd encourage you to jump in on
the plan9-gsoc google group.

i believe we can optionally make the proposals public; i'll ask the accepted
students if they're willing. sorry i didn't think of that earlier.

anthony

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 GSoC projects selected
@ 2011-04-30  2:42   ` errno
From: errno @ 2011-04-30  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Friday, April 29, 2011 05:43:21 AM Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2011, at 6:47 pm, Anthony Sorace wrote:
> > • Unification of X11 code and wsys device, by Jesús Galán López [1]
>
> [...]
>
> > [1]	http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/
> > gsoc2011/yiyus/1
>
> I'm a bit curious about this one but all I get from the link is "This
> proposal is not made public, and you are not the student who
> submitted the proposal, nor are you a mentor for the organization it
> was submitted to."

I know you already received more info, but there was also this recent
thread related to the topic:

http://www.mail-archive.com/plan9-gsoc@googlegroups.com/msg00431.html

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 GSoC projects selected
@ 2011-04-30 11:19     ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-04-30 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 30 Apr 2011, at 3:42 am, errno wrote:

> I know you already received more info, but there was also this recent
> thread related to the topic:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/plan9-gsoc@googlegroups.com/msg00431.html

Ah, that's the clearest thing yet. Thanks. I should have checked the
plan9-gsoc archives, huh?

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 GSoC projects selected
@ 2011-05-07 20:55     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2011-05-07 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> The main idea is to avoid the duplication of xlib dependent code in
> inferno, p9p, 9vx and drawterm and write a wsys device to use the
> window manager of the host system through a file server similar to
> rio(4). If the new x11 code will be a library or some sort of p9p's
> devdraw(1) and if the wsys device will be an inferno/drawterm/9vx
> kernel device or an external program serving 9P are open questions
> yet.
>
> Feel free to ask if you want to know more.
>

> --
> - yiyus || JGL .

Awesome, feels like Christmas to me. Good luck :)