* [9fans] kernel panics..
@ 2003-06-21 19:47 Apurva Mehta
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Apurva Mehta @ 2003-06-21 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I posted a few days ago about kernel panics when I try to boot plan 9
from my hard disk. I have not been able to solve them yet. I have
been able to successfully boot Plan 9 from the bootable cd.

I have installed plan 9 on the second primary partion of my second
hard disk (primary slave). I tried installing it from the boot cd as
well as from an install floppy. I have also tried booting plan 9
straight of the hard disk as well as from a boot floppy.. Whichever
combination I try, I always wind up with the same error message. The
register values may change.

The error message I am including here is what I get when I try to boot
from my boot floppy. The 9load file on the boot floppy is the one
which Russ Cox was nice enough to send me yesterday.

---
PBS... Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0C20
apm ax=f000 cx-f000 di-1200 ebx=576c esi=C03e4
dev A0 port 1F0 config 045A capabilities 0F00 wdma 0007 udma 103F
dev B0 port 1F0 config 045A capabilities 0F00 mwdma 0007 udma 0407
dev A0 port 170 config 85C0 capabilities 0F00 mwdma 0407
dev B0 port 170 config 85C0 capabilities 0B00 wdma 0007 udma 0407
FLAGS=10246 TRAP=e ECODE=2 PC=***800298b4***
 AX 00000000 BX 00000000 CX 001f4f1b DX 00000000
 SI 0001e5f61 D1 81000000 BP 0bb1f04
 CS 0010 DS 0008 ES 0008 FS 0008 GS 0008
 CR0 80000011 CR2 81000000 CR3 ***00094000***
panic: exception/interrupt 14

Press almost any key to reset...
---

Here is my plan9.ini file..

---

bootfile=sdC1!fs!/386/9pcdisk
bootdisk=local!#S/sdC1/fs

*nomp=1
*nousbprobe=1
*noetherprobe=1
partition=new
mouseport=ps2
monitor=multisync75
vgasize=1024x768x32

---

I would love to be able to use plan 9 so any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

	- Apurva

* Re: [9fans] kernel panics..
@ 2003-06-21 20:52 ` Apurva Mehta
From: Apurva Mehta @ 2003-06-21 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

After reading the my original message a couple of times.. I realize
it can be a bit confusing in 2 respects.

1) The error message I posted has 2 fields containing *** before and
after the value in the register. I have included this to indicate
that the values have changed from the ones that were present when I
booted using the 9load binary from the install floppy.

Also, the 9load binary from the install floppy works when it is on the
install floppy. It does not work when copied to the boot floppy.

2) The plan9.ini file is the one I have on my hard disk. I get the
exact same error message when I try to boot plan 9 straight from my
disk.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

	- Apurva

* Re: [9fans] kernel panics..
@ 2003-06-21 22:56 ` D. Brownlee
From: D. Brownlee @ 2003-06-21 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Apurva Mehta wrote:

> Here is my plan9.ini file..
>
> ---
>
> bootfile=sdC1!fs!/386/9pcdisk
> bootdisk=local!#S/sdC1/fs
>
> *nomp=1
> *nousbprobe=1
> *noetherprobe=1
> partition=new
> mouseport=ps2
> monitor=multisync75
> vgasize=1024x768x32

32 bits?
Aren't there 8, 16, and 24?
My video card only goes up to 24 bits, so
I used:
	vgasize=1024x768x24

But if that (32 bits) were a problem, it
probably wouldn't have installed. Did it install?
Could you try using the drive that you're trying
to install on as the only drive?

* Re: [9fans] kernel panics..
@ 2003-06-22  6:03   ` Apurva Mehta
From: Apurva Mehta @ 2003-06-22  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:56:39 -0700
"D. Brownlee" <brownlee@acm.org> wrote:

> But if that (32 bits) were a problem, it
> probably wouldn't have installed. Did it install?

Well, I was just playing around with different settings. The latest
setting I tried was what I put up. I have tried 640x480x8,
1024x768x16 and 1024x768x24.. No difference. Yes it did install both
from the install floppy and from the cd. Infact I had to do a text
install from the floppy because I got the message that 24 bits was not
supported on nvidia cards, use 32 instead...

> Could you try using the drive that you're trying
> to install on as the only drive?

I disabled my primary master during the installation. However, I re
enabled it since. I will try to disable it and then try to boot plan9.
I will post back to tell you if it works.

	- Apurva

* Re: [9fans] kernel panics..
@ 2003-06-23 15:20 ` Apurva Mehta
From: Apurva Mehta @ 2003-06-23 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I fixed my kernel panic problem. It seems that Plan9 had a problem
with booting from a non primary/master disk. All I had to do was
switch the disk on which plan9 was installed to a primary master and
it worked. It did not find the boot partition, but once I pointed it
to the right direction, it booted into rio just fine.

However, It still asks me the path to the boot partition everytime I
boot up. I have modified my plan9.ini file and changed all occurences
of sdC1 (The disk was connected to primary slave previously) to sdC0
but that has not worked. I tried reinstalling plan9 (I did not wipe
the existing installation, however) but that has not helped either..
How do I point the loader to the correct boot partition?

Thanks,
	- Apurva

* Re: [9fans] kernel panics..
@ 2003-06-23 16:16   ` Apurva Mehta
From: Apurva Mehta @ 2003-06-23 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:50:08 +0530
Apurva Mehta <apurva@gmx.net> wrote:

> However, It still asks me the path to the boot partition everytime I
> boot up. I have modified my plan9.ini file and changed all
> occurences of sdC1 (The disk was connected to primary slave
> previously) to sdC0 but that has not worked.

Never mind.. It was due to a typo in my plan9.ini file.. I wrote sdc0
instead of sdC0.

	- Apurva

* Re: [9fans] kernel panics..
@ 2003-06-23 17:22     ` D. Brownlee
From: D. Brownlee @ 2003-06-23 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Apurva Mehta wrote:

> Never mind.. It was due to a typo in my plan9.ini file.. I wrote sdc0
> instead of sdC0.
>
> 	- Apurva

That used to bite me, too.