* [9fans] request for examples
@ 2007-04-03 15:15 David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-04-03 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'd like to help out with this...

I think the wiki could do with more examples around setting up NFS
clients/servers, aquarela usage, dedicated mail servers.

Does anyone think this is a bad idea?  I mean, I know we're supposed
to be able to read the man pages and just be successful, but I still
have a lot of trial and error, and often no success (like with
aquarela).

Does having tons of shortcuts in the wiki discourage people from
reading the man pages, and is that a bad thing, or does it just
comfort new users with HOWTO's to get started on Plan 9?

Just a thought.  Seems like more examples would be a good thing.

* Re: [9fans] request for examples
@ 2007-04-03 15:23 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-04-03 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/3/07, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
\

> Does having tons of shortcuts in the wiki discourage people from
> reading the man pages, and is that a bad thing, or does it just
> comfort new users with HOWTO's to get started on Plan 9?

 no. I still don't have TLS set up for imap, for example. It just won't work.

> Just a thought.  Seems like more examples would be a good thing.

as long as at least two people can verify that the examples work.

ron

* Re: [9fans] request for examples
@ 2007-04-03 15:29   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-04-03 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/3/07, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/3/07, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> \
> >
> > Does having tons of shortcuts in the wiki discourage people from
> > reading the man pages, and is that a bad thing, or does it just
> > comfort new users with HOWTO's to get started on Plan 9?
>
>  no. I still don't have TLS set up for imap, for example. It just won't work.
>

> > Just a thought.  Seems like more examples would be a good thing.
> >
> as long as at least two people can verify that the examples work.
>
> ron

Ok that sounds good.  Maybe a work in progress page and then promote
things to the verified to work page :-)

Dave

* Re: [9fans] request for examples
@ 2007-04-03 16:40   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-04-03 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> no. I still don't have TLS set up for imap, for example. It just won't work.

Strange, it just works for me (sorry). I did have problems initially
as the server I connect to (MS Exchange) wanted to use a subtly different
auth scheme but I got a patch in last year to add that to upas/fs.

for what its worth I run this script on boot to pick up my email.

	#!/bin/rc

	rfork en

	upas/fs -f /imaps/mail.mycompany.com/myusername
	cd /mail/fs/mbox

	while(){
		for (f in `{ls | grep '^[0-9]+' | sort -n}){
			upas/send -r inject!steve < $f/raw
			rm $f
		}
		sleep 60
	}

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] request for examples
@ 2007-04-03 16:48     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-04-03 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i don't see "inject" in my /mail/lib or /sys/src/cmd/upas/*/*.
is this part of your /mail/lib/rewrite?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] request for examples
@ 2007-04-03 16:52       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-04-03 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/3/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> i don't see "inject" in my /mail/lib or /sys/src/cmd/upas/*/*.
> is this part of your /mail/lib/rewrite?

it could just be the name of a machine.

russ

* Re: [9fans] request for examples
@ 2007-04-03 17:39       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-04-03 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i don't see "inject" in my /mail/lib or /sys/src/cmd/upas/*/*.
> is this part of your /mail/lib/rewrite?

Yep, I am the only user of my machine so most people
I send email to get adomain added and so forwareded on
to exchange.

	# deliver injected mail locally
	inject!(.*)		>>		/mail/box/\1/mbox

	# my email
	local!steve		>>		/mail/box/steve/mbox

	# append the local domain to addresses without a domain
	local!(.*)		alias		\1@mycompany.com

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] request for examples
@ 2007-04-13 14:04         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-04-13 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/3/07, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
> > i don't see "inject" in my /mail/lib or /sys/src/cmd/upas/*/*.
> > is this part of your /mail/lib/rewrite?
>
> Yep, I am the only user of my machine so most people
> I send email to get adomain added and so forwareded on
> to exchange.
>
>         # deliver injected mail locally
>         inject!(.*)             >>              /mail/box/\1/mbox
>
>         # my email
>         local!steve             >>              /mail/box/steve/mbox
>
>         # append the local domain to addresses without a domain
>         local!(.*)              alias           \1@mycompany.com
>
> -Steve

I'm almost 100% moved into my new house, and hope to get a start on
this wiki promise sometime either this evening, or this weekend.  The
wife and I have had a bunch of house guests and other distractions,
but I'm hoping to start making some progress.

Sorry for the delay.

I'll start by migrating my Parallels configuration to the wiki, though
I think the ability to include screenshots in the website I've got on
mordor (which I still can't seem to log in to, having apparently more
than one secstore with an invalid password, or I have a bad
configuration for login), seem useful.

Are images in Plan 9's wiki desireable?  I realize that seeing it in
Acme and being able to edit it there is a big advantage, but then that
makes me think, can acme be extended to display images?  Or would that
just be a terrible idea? :-)

Dave

* Re: [9fans] request for examples
@ 2007-04-14 23:51           ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-04-14 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Are images in Plan 9's wiki desireable?

I would put the images in your contrib dir,
you can then link directly to them from he wiki page via:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/...

> ... can acme be extended to display images?

fgb has this in progress I believe.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] request for examples
@ 2007-04-15  0:03             ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2007-04-15  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > ... can acme be extended to display images?
>
> fgb has this in progress I believe.

so far I have just a hack that lets you run draw(2) apps
in it, but it's going to need more than a hack to have
a functional acme with images...

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] request for examples
@ 2007-04-16 15:07               ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-04-16 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/14/07, Federico Benavento <benavento@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > ... can acme be extended to display images?
> >
> > fgb has this in progress I believe.
>
> so far I have just a hack that lets you run draw(2) apps
> in it, but it's going to need more than a hack to have
> a functional acme with images...
>
> --
> Federico G. Benavento

Great... I think I'm going to be able to get started in on it in
earnest tonight then, I'm not sure I have a contrib directory or how
to go about getting one :-).  The wife's got classes to attend :-)

Dave