* [9fans] Venti on Qemu?
@ 2007-07-26 10:02 Antonin Vecera
From: Antonin Vecera @ 2007-07-26 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

I would like to play a little with Venti...
So I made new installation on Qemu with "fossil+venti" option.
After reboot I saw a strange messages (repeatedly prented onscreen):
archive(0, 0x70e5): cannot find block: block label mismatch
labelUnpack 79 73 00037379 73000667 6c656e64
archive(0, 0x74bb): cannot find block: corrupted block label
archWalk 0x74bb failed; ptr is in 0x11e8 offset 49
archWalk 0x11e8 failed; ptr is in 0x11e8 offset 2
archWalk 0xf failed; ptr is in 0xd offset 0
archWalk 0xd failed; ptr is in 0xb offset 0
archWalk 0xb failed; ptr is in 0x5 offset 2
Is it possible to run Venti on Qemu?
I just want to look around it but it seems there is a problem.

Hard disk size was 5GB with qcow format, memory 128MB.

Antonin

* Re: [9fans] Venti on Qemu?
@ 2007-07-26 22:39 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-07-26 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this looks like an error one gets when the machine is shutdown
without shuting down fossil and venti gracefully.  are you running
the latest version of venti?  you may want to run venti/checkindex.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Venti on Qemu?
@ 2007-07-27  5:23   ` Antonin Vecera
From: Antonin Vecera @ 2007-07-27  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It is about 2 weeks old install CD and the error messages are shown
immediately after installation finished and I did reboot.
Maybe Qemu doesn't emulate some function right?
I wonder that nobody has problem with Venti on Qemu. :-)
I will leave it on some day in future...

Antonin

On 7/27/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> this looks like an error one gets when the machine is shutdown
> without shuting down fossil and venti gracefully.  are you running
> the latest version of venti?  you may want to run venti/checkindex.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] Venti on Qemu?
@ 2007-07-27  9:45     ` Antonin Vecera
From: Antonin Vecera @ 2007-07-27  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hmmm... I made new installation with latest image and it seems OK.

Antonin

> On 7/27/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> > this looks like an error one gets when the machine is shutdown
> > without shuting down fossil and venti gracefully.  are you running
> > the latest version of venti?  you may want to run venti/checkindex.
> >
> > - erik

* Re: [9fans] Venti on Qemu?
@ 2007-07-27 12:05       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-07-27 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

obviously that would fix the problem by overwriting your entire
venti store.  if you're using venti, you need to run fshalt(no man page)
before you kill the emulator.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Venti on Qemu?
@ 2007-07-27 16:52         ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2007-07-27 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There is a manual page for fshalt, fshalt(8).

* Re: [9fans] Venti on Qemu?
@ 2007-07-27 20:12     ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2007-07-27 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I wonder that nobody has problem with Venti on Qemu. :-)

Or it may be that hardly anyone runs venti under qemu?  I
certainly don't.  Given plan9ports I can run venti on a
version of Unix running natively and gain more performance
and flexibility.

* Re: [9fans] Venti on Qemu?
@ 2007-07-27 20:16       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-07-27 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/27/07, Bakul Shah <bakul+plan9@bitblocks.com> wrote:
> > I wonder that nobody has problem with Venti on Qemu. :-)
>
> Or it may be that hardly anyone runs venti under qemu?  I
> certainly don't.  Given plan9ports I can run venti on a
> version of Unix running natively and gain more performance
> and flexibility.

I run venti under qemu and xen and kvm and lguest. Works fine.

I never thought about using the linux version. Would be neat if the
venti on plan 9 could be as good as the one on linux, I suppose.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Venti on Qemu?
@ 2007-07-27 21:40         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-07-27 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)