* [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook?
@ 2008-07-17  2:30 a
From: a @ 2008-07-17  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I now have a more-or-less unused MacBook. I'm
considering spending some time trying to get Plan 9
working on it. Has anyone gotten beyond confirming
that it won't work out of the box?
Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook?
@ 2008-07-17  2:35 ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-07-17  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The ISO I got that was supposed to work natively on an iMac had:
- keyboard error messages (but I think it worked)
- no working mouse
- inverse video
But good luck on a MacBook!

On Jul 16, 2008, at 10:30 PM, a@9srv.net wrote:

> I now have a more-or-less unused MacBook. I'm
> considering spending some time trying to get Plan 9
> working on it. Has anyone gotten beyond confirming
> that it won't work out of the box?
> Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook?
@ 2008-07-17  2:40   ` a
From: a @ 2008-07-17  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This was an intel or ppc iMac? Did you make (if so,
how) or acquire (if so, from where) this ISO?

Getting that far would be much better than the
current stock ISO, which gets to the ELCR print.
Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook?
@ 2008-07-17  2:47     ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-07-17  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Intel - there is no prebuilt PPC binary. That ELCR point is what made
me get QEMU in the first place. You can find the ISO somewhere in /n/
sources/contrib. du and you can't miss it; it was made by someone else
on the list.

On Jul 16, 2008, at 10:40 PM, a@9srv.net wrote:

> This was an intel or ppc iMac? Did you make (if so,
> how) or acquire (if so, from where) this ISO?
>
> Getting that far would be much better than the
> current stock ISO, which gets to the ELCR print.
> Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook?
@ 2008-07-17  9:32 ` Anthony Martin
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Anthony Martin @ 2008-07-17  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I now have a more-or-less unused MacBook. I'm
> considering spending some time trying to get Plan 9
> working on it. Has anyone gotten beyond confirming
> that it won't work out of the box?

I have Plan 9 booting on an Intel Macbook. When I was
first testing it out, there were problems with the
SATA driver but Erik fixed those and it works fine
now. The only change that you'll have to make is in
the keyboard initialization for both the kernel and
9load.

Add the following at the beginning of these functions:
	/sys/src/9/pc/kbd.c:/^kbdinit
	/sys/src/boot/pc/kbd.c:/^i8042init

+        c = inb(Status);
+        if(c & Rtimeout){
+                print("no keyboard present\n");
+                return;
+        }

Oh, and you're going to need to supply a plan9.ini
with sufficient parameters since you don't have
keyboard input until you can run usb/kb.

If I get some time on Saturday, I'll post a write-
up on how to bootstrap the system using a spare
partition on the Mac.

Also, I started an ethernet driver for the Yukon 2
chip that's in the Macbook. I had to put it aside
for a while but I'm slowly getting back into it.

Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook?
@ 2008-07-17 11:31   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2008-07-17 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have Plan 9 booting on an Intel Macbook.

Is this likely to work on macbook pro as well, or is the
architecture too different?

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook?
@ 2008-07-17 16:19   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2008-07-17 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 2:32 AM, Anthony Martin <ality@pbrane.org> wrote:

> > I now have a more-or-less unused MacBook. I'm
> > considering spending some time trying to get Plan 9
> > working on it. Has anyone gotten beyond confirming
> > that it won't work out of the box?
>
> I have Plan 9 booting on an Intel Macbook. When I was
> first testing it out, there were problems with the
> SATA driver but Erik fixed those and it works fine
> now. The only change that you'll have to make is in
> the keyboard initialization for both the kernel and
> 9load.

Using boot camp I presume?  So you have a BIOS.  That or someone did EFI
support under the radar (which might still be cool even though it sucks).

> Add the following at the beginning of these functions:
>        /sys/src/9/pc/kbd.c:/^kbdinit
>        /sys/src/boot/pc/kbd.c:/^i8042init
>
> +        c = inb(Status);
> +        if(c & Rtimeout){
> +                print("no keyboard present\n");
> +                return;
> +        }
>
> Oh, and you're going to need to supply a plan9.ini
> with sufficient parameters since you don't have
> keyboard input until you can run usb/kb.
>
> If I get some time on Saturday, I'll post a write-
> up on how to bootstrap the system using a spare
> partition on the Mac.
>
> Also, I started an ethernet driver for the Yukon 2
> chip that's in the Macbook. I had to put it aside
> for a while but I'm slowly getting back into it.
>
> Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on MacBook?
@ 2008-11-23  0:10   ` Tom Lieber
From: Tom Lieber @ 2008-11-23  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 4:32 AM, Anthony Martin <ality@pbrane.org> wrote:
> If I get some time on Saturday, I'll post a write-
> up on how to bootstrap the system using a spare
> partition on the Mac.
>
> Also, I started an ethernet driver for the Yukon 2
> chip that's in the Macbook. I had to put it aside
> for a while but I'm slowly getting back into it.

Did you finish writing these?

--
Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/