* [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-17 12:21 tushar mahule
From: tushar mahule @ 2006-09-17 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi there....
I'm new to plan 9.
I am in the Final year of my bachelor's degree and i wanted to know that is there any idea or anything in plan 9, which i can take up as a Final Year Project.

I mean, it'll be like i get to do something nw and also will be able to give it back to open source...

Please, do suggest me somethhing...
which is feasible to be done in 5-6 months...

"Argue for your limitations...
        And sure enough, they are yours!"

---------------------------------

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-17 12:24 ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-09-17 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I mean, it'll be like i get to do something nw and also will be able to give it back to open source...

graphicssupport for acme! :)

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-17 12:28   ` tushar mahule
From: tushar mahule @ 2006-09-17 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks Sascha Retzki, for such a immediate reply...

But, i'm more interested to do memory, drivers etc.

I also wanted to know how good it would be if i do something like a profiler for a subset of functionalities for plan 9???

@ 2006-09-17 12:34     ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-09-17 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Thanks Sascha Retzki, for such a immediate reply...
>
> But, i'm more interested to do memory, drivers etc.

Oh, okay. There is the sparc64 port which needs some love, for instance. :-)

What about something which comes with complete 'layers' of stuff, like AC97 (this software-audio stuff)?

There is also SATA, I just know of one SATA-controller supported, just because it happen to behave pretty like his grandfather or something (the listarchive has the details)...

> I also wanted to know how good it would be if i do something like a profiler for a subset of functionalities for plan 9?

What do you mean by 'profile(r)'?

> Sascha Retzki <sretzki@gmx.de> wrote:
>> I mean, it'll be like i get to do something nw and also will be able to give it back to open source...
>>

> graphicssupport for acme! :)
>

> "Argue for your limitations...
>         And sure enough, they are yours!"
>

> ---------------------------------
> Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.  Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-17 12:41       ` tushar mahule
From: tushar mahule @ 2006-09-17 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Sascha,

Profiler is a tool that monitors all the CPU happenings(time taken, resources used etc..) while a OS activity(like i/o acceess etc..) is being executed and reports them in a detailed user friendly way...

It is generally used in the development stage to improve the efficiency of the code, depending upon the reports generated.

Sascha Retzki <sretzki@gmx.de> wrote: > Thanks Sascha Retzki, for such a immediate reply...

> But, i'm more interested to do memory, drivers etc.

Oh, okay. There is the sparc64 port which needs some love, for instance. :-)

What about something which comes with complete 'layers' of stuff, like AC97 (this software-audio stuff)?

There is also SATA, I just know of one SATA-controller supported, just because it happen to behave pretty like his grandfather or something (the listarchive has the details)...

> I also wanted to know how good it would be if i do something like a profiler for a subset of functionalities for plan 9?

What do you mean by 'profile(r)'?

> Sascha Retzki  wrote:
>> I mean, it'll be like i get to do something nw and also will be able to give it back to open source...
>>

> graphicssupport for acme! :)
>

> "Argue for your limitations...
>         And sure enough, they are yours!"
>

> ---------------------------------
> Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.  Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

"Argue for your limitations...
        And sure enough, they are yours!"

---------------------------------

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-17 12:44       ` tushar mahule
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: tushar mahule @ 2006-09-17 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I also wanted to know how good is the USB support in plan 9?????

@ 2006-09-17 12:54         ` Benn Newman
From: Benn Newman @ 2006-09-17 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You could work on more modern audio drivers. I, for one, do not have a
Soundblaster 16.
tushar mahule said:
> I also wanted to know how good is the USB support in plan 9?????
Couldn't tell you. I think the USB on my computer is broken. (one of the
ports physically is.

--
Benn Newman

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-17 13:02         ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-09-17 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I also wanted to know how good is the USB support in plan 9?????

It sucks. So it implements usb just fine :)

@ 2006-09-17 13:03         ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-09-17 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hi Sascha,
>
> Profiler is a tool that monitors all the CPU happenings(time taken, resources used etc..) while a OS activity(like i/o acceess etc..) is being executed and reports them in a detailed user friendly way...
>
> It is generally used in the development stage to improve the efficiency of the code, depending upon the reports generated.

May be interesting, alongside with print() and debuggers.

> Sascha Retzki <sretzki@gmx.de> wrote: > Thanks Sascha Retzki, for such a immediate reply...
>>
>> But, i'm more interested to do memory, drivers etc.
>
> Oh, okay. There is the sparc64 port which needs some love, for instance. :-)
>
> What about something which comes with complete 'layers' of stuff, like AC97 (this software-audio stuff)?
>
> There is also SATA, I just know of one SATA-controller supported, just because it happen to behave pretty like his grandfather or something (the listarchive has the details)...
>

>> I also wanted to know how good it would be if i do something like a profiler for a subset of functionalities for plan 9?
>
> What do you mean by 'profile(r)'?
>

>> Sascha Retzki  wrote:
>>> I mean, it'll be like i get to do something nw and also will be able to give it back to open source...
>>>

>> graphicssupport for acme! :)
>>

>> "Argue for your limitations...
>>         And sure enough, they are yours!"
>>

>> ---------------------------------
>> Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.  Great rates starting at 1¢/min.
>

> "Argue for your limitations...
>         And sure enough, they are yours!"
>

> ---------------------------------
> Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com.  Check it out.

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-17 15:31           ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-09-17 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There is no support for USB 2.0 controllers.
It would be very nice to have support for them
and thus be able to run USB devices at higher speeds.

There is already a kernel profiler, kprof.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-17 18:26         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-09-17 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

there are at least two sata drivers supported.  sdmv50xx -- marvell and the nForce4
southbridge.  one version is already supported.  i just submitted a patch for the
nForce 430.  (gigabyte ga-m55plus-s3g motherboard.)

- erik

@ 2006-09-17 20:05         ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2006-09-17 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/17/06, tushar mahule <tusharmahule@yahoo.com> wrote:

If you need ideas for lower-level stuff...

* IEEE1394a/b device driver (OHCI interface first), allowing to write
fileservers supporting different kind of devices...
* sbp2 client (maybe host?)
* IP/Ethernet over 1394
* Adaptec aic78xx driver.....
* port mplayer?? It's ugly code, but it works, and it works pretty fast ;-D

Of non-programming stuff:
* Stop using HTML in e-mails. It shows either: lack of good manners,
lack of netiquette in your computer education, general stupidity or
mistake. I wish for last case, suspect second one. (But please don't
start a flamewar on this...).

Those nice fonts looks screwed there (and my monitor has blue = 0
always....) ;-)

--
Paul Lasek

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-17 20:10           ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-09-17 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/17/06, Paweł Lasek <pawel.lasek@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/17/06, tushar mahule <tusharmahule@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> If you need ideas for lower-level stuff...
>
> * IEEE1394a/b device driver (OHCI interface first), allowing to write
> fileservers supporting different kind of devices...
> * sbp2 client (maybe host?)
> * IP/Ethernet over 1394
> * Adaptec aic78xx driver.....
> * port mplayer?? It's ugly code, but it works, and it works pretty fast ;-D
>
> Of non-programming stuff:
> * Stop using HTML in e-mails. It shows either: lack of good manners,
> lack of netiquette in your computer education, general stupidity or
> mistake. I wish for last case, suspect second one. (But please don't
> start a flamewar on this...).
>
> Those nice fonts looks screwed there (and my monitor has blue = 0
> always....) ;-)
>

> --
> Paul Lasek

I second the mplayer vote, because it's possibly the best (from a
user's perspective, I don't know what the code is like) media player
I've ever used. However, before mplayer is useful, I think we kinda
need some more sound drivers.

John
--
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" -- Shakespeare, Henry VI

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-17 20:34           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-09-17 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

maybe you need a better mail reader.  i never noticed the html
witth ned. ;-)

On Sun Sep 17 15:06:35 CDT 2006, pawel.lasek@gmail.com wrote:
> Of non-programming stuff:
> * Stop using HTML in e-mails. It shows either: lack of good manners,
> lack of netiquette in your computer education, general stupidity or
> mistake. I wish for last case, suspect second one. (But please don't
> start a flamewar on this...).
>
> Those nice fonts looks screwed there (and my monitor has blue = 0
> always....) ;-)
>

> --
> Paul Lasek

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-17 20:49             ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-09-17 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There is interest here in better USB support.  Charles has sent us an
OHCI driver that needs to be adapted to fit devusb.  We now have some
AMD terminals with OHCI and EHCI, so we have both incentive and
opportunity to make these interfaces and USB 2 work.  I won't get to
it until I'm done with file server migration.

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-18  9:32             ` Harri Haataja
From: Harri Haataja @ 2006-09-18  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 04:10:58PM -0400, John Floren wrote:
> On 9/17/06, Pawe? Lasek <pawel.lasek@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On 9/17/06, tushar mahule <tusharmahule@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >* port mplayer?? It's ugly code, but it works, and it works pretty
> >fast ;-D

> I second the mplayer vote, because it's possibly the best (from a
> user's perspective, I don't know what the code is like) media player
> I've ever used. However, before mplayer is useful, I think we kinda
> need some more sound drivers.

Also, is there hardware accelerated video (scaling!) and fullscreen
switching?

--
Conquering the galaxy is what bacteria with spaceships would do --
knowing no better, having no choice.

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-18 10:54               ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2006-09-18 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/18/06, Harri Haataja <harriha@mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 04:10:58PM -0400, John Floren wrote:
> > On 9/17/06, Pawe? Lasek <pawel.lasek@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >On 9/17/06, tushar mahule <tusharmahule@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > >* port mplayer?? It's ugly code, but it works, and it works pretty
> > >fast ;-D
>
> > I second the mplayer vote, because it's possibly the best (from a
> > user's perspective, I don't know what the code is like) media player
> > I've ever used. However, before mplayer is useful, I think we kinda
> > need some more sound drivers.
>
> Also, is there hardware accelerated video (scaling!) and fullscreen
> switching?

Theoretically it should be possible to port mplayer's vidix using
access to graphics card memory with device files (I don't remember
exact files, but there was at least one which allowed to even write
pci drivers as filesystems if one wanted to...)

Integrating it with rio would be much tougher, but I think that at
least vesa driver should be pretty easy to port, considering one finds
a suitable way to return control to rio (like the need for "reset" on
linux vt after using mplayer's -vo vesa).

@ 2006-09-18 13:15             ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-09-18 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> * port mplayer?? It's ugly code, but it works, and it works pretty fast ;-D
>>

> I second the mplayer vote, because it's possibly the best (from a
> user's perspective, I don't know what the code is like) media player
> I've ever used. However, before mplayer is useful, I think we kinda
> need some more sound drivers.
>
> John

Mmmhh,

man 7 juke # juke(7)
man 7 playlistfs # playlistfs(7)

I have not yet looked deeply enough into those, but as far as I recall, you create a decoder for each file-type as an external program. I have no idea how things like fast-forward/backward work, for instance (pause, etc).

And I have no idea how I easily create playlists. It's shell magic for mplayer, and GUIs using mplayer may also provide ways - as I read the manpages, I am supposed to write maps myself. :-(

Supposed those things are easily done, 'porting mplayer' becomes 'port the codecs, create a decoder for each of those'. At least for the audio-part. But imho it works for video, too.

Speaking of those manpages, what is audio(7)? I don't have that manpage.

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-18 14:32               ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2006-09-18 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> man 7 juke # juke(7)
> man 7 playlistfs # playlistfs(7)
>
> I have not yet looked deeply enough into those, but as far as I recall,
> you create a decoder for each file-type as an external program.

right.

> I have no idea how things like fast-forward/backward work, for instance

they don't, as far as I know.

> (pause, etc).

stop/continue reading from the decoder, I think.

> And I have no idea how I easily create playlists.
> It's shell magic for mplayer, and GUIs using mplayer
> may also provide ways - as I read the manpages,
> I am supposed to write maps myself. :-(

it is possible to generate (template) maps.
either when you get the music from cd (readcd does this)
or using the tags that are present in (e.g.) mp3 files.

> Supposed those things are easily done, 'porting mplayer'
> becomes 'port the codecs, create a decoder for each of those'.
> At least for the audio-part. But imho it works for video, too.
>

> Speaking of those manpages, what is audio(7)? I don't have that manpage.

since audio(7) is not there, intro(7) makes me guess that will be about
'proprietary data that is not distributed outside Bell Laboratories'.

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-18 14:53                 ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-09-18 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> man 7 juke # juke(7)
>> man 7 playlistfs # playlistfs(7)
>>
>> I have not yet looked deeply enough into those, but as far as I recall,
>> you create a decoder for each file-type as an external program.
>
> right.
>
>> I have no idea how things like fast-forward/backward work, for instance
>
> they don't, as far as I know.

Too bad, imho. Can one pass notes to APE-programs? Sure you can, but is there noted() etc?

>> (pause, etc).
>
> stop/continue reading from the decoder, I think.

Ah, so they read stdout and pass that to /dev/audio then. hm.

>> And I have no idea how I easily create playlists.
>> It's shell magic for mplayer, and GUIs using mplayer
>> may also provide ways - as I read the manpages,
>> I am supposed to write maps myself. :-(
>
> it is possible to generate (template) maps.
> either when you get the music from cd (readcd does this)
> or using the tags that are present in (e.g.) mp3 files.

As I recall you need a map to actually start up playlistfs/juke*, so how does one start? Can you give an example? :)

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-18 16:13     ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-09-18 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

tushar mahule wrote:

> I also wanted to know how good it would be if i do something like a
> profiler for a subset of functionalities for plan 9???

you mean systemtap or something?

If you want to do a driver, fix usb ...

or the atheros cards.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-18 16:49       ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2006-09-18 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Sep 18 12:18:29 EDT 2006, rminnich@lanl.gov wrote:
> tushar mahule wrote:
> >
> > I also wanted to know how good it would be if i do something like a
> > profiler for a subset of functionalities for plan 9???
>
> you mean systemtap or something?
>
> If you want to do a driver, fix usb ...
>
> or the atheros cards.
>
> ron

How long has the unfinished Intel Centrino™ driver been sitting
waiting for attention? The bulk of what needs to be done is, I think,
similar to what needs to be done to make the Atheros cards work - not
the low-level hardware details (I sort-of have that for the Atheros
cards too) but the 802.11 control above that needs to be done, the
handful of ctl messages that sufficed for the old Wavelan world is
not enough.

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-18 17:48                   ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2006-09-18 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> >> And I have no idea how I easily create playlists.
> >> It's shell magic for mplayer, and GUIs using mplayer
> >> may also provide ways - as I read the manpages,
> >> I am supposed to write maps myself. :-(
> >
> > it is possible to generate (template) maps.
> > either when you get the music from cd (readcd does this)
> > or using the tags that are present in (e.g.) mp3 files.
>
> As I recall you need a map to actually start up playlistfs/juke*,
> so how does one start? Can you give an example? :)

I think you were the one who mentioned
> >> man 7 juke # juke(7)

it does contain an example. it can be even simpler,
something like below, where you just follow the
file system hierarchy.
the following assumes that the actual files are like
/some/path/mp3/groupdirname/albumdirname/01_some_name.ogg
etc. (I used anyrhines audio/ogg-vorbis stuff)

work {
	some name
	path {/some/path/mp3}
	command {sort}
	work {
		group
		path {groupdirname}
		command {sort}
		work {
			album title
			path {albumdirname}
			command {sort}
			track {
				02 name of second track
				file {02_second_track.ogg}
			}
			track {
				01 name of first track
				file {01_some_name.ogg}
			}
		}
	}
}

if you put the tracks of the album in the right order
you can leave out the innermost 'command {sort}'.

however, the real power of the maps comes from being able to
use arbitrary attributes.
for example, i have run a script over my map that adds something
like the permuted index that we have for the manual pages,
by shifting names/titles around, such that you

	track {
		artist = Fay~Lovsky
		artistpF = Fay~Lovsky
		artistpL = Lovsky~~--~~Fay
		title = Christmas~Was~A~Friend~Of~Mine
		titlepC = Christmas~Was~A~Friend~Of~Mine
		titlepW = Was~A~Friend~Of~Mine~~--~~Christmas
		titlepF = Friend~Of~Mine~~--~~Christmas~Was~A
		titlepO = Of~Mine~~--~~Christmas~Was~A~Friend
		titlepM = Mine~~--~~Christmas~Was~A~Friend~Of
		Fay·Lovsky·-·Christmas·Was·A·Friend·Of·Mine
		file {Fay·Lovsky·-·Christmas·Was·A·Friend·Of·Mine.mp3}
	}

(in the 'name=value' lines ~ denotes a space)
this allows you to 'sort' your data on any word from title or name.
I split the permuted title and artist indexs on first letter, because
they would be to big otherwise, hence the artistpF, artistpL etc.

of course, it should be possible to write something that,
to juke, offers the same interface as jukefs, but does not
read the maps but just takes the structure of the filesystem
instead.

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] Ideas???
@ 2006-09-18 19:30                   ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2006-09-18 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

[I'm reposting this (slightly edited) after a first post seemed not to
 have made it through. I'm sorry if this is just a duplicate after all]

> >> And I have no idea how I easily create playlists.
> >> It's shell magic for mplayer, and GUIs using mplayer
> >> may also provide ways - as I read the manpages,
> >> I am supposed to write maps myself. :-(

> > it is possible to generate (template) maps.
> > either when you get the music from cd (readcd does this)
> > or using the tags that are present in (e.g.) mp3 files.

> As I recall you need a map to actually start up playlistfs/juke*,
> so how does one start? Can you give an example? :)

I think you were the one who mentioned
> >> man 7 juke # juke(7)
:-)

juke(7) does contain an example.
it can be even simpler, something like below, where you just
follow the file system hierarchy.
the following assumes that the actual files are like
/some/path/to/music/groupdirname/albumdirname/01_some_name.ogg
etc. (I used anyrhines audio/ogg-vorbis stuff)

work {
	some name you invent yourself
	path {/some/path/to/music}
	command {sort}
	work {
		group name
		path {groupdirname}
		command {sort}
		work {
			album title
			path {albumdirname}
			command {sort}
			track {
				02 name of second track
				file {02_second_track.ogg}
			}
			track {
				01 name of first track
				file {01_some_name.ogg}
			}
		}
	}
}

if you put the tracks of the album in the right order
you can leave out the innermost 'command {sort}'.

however, the real power of the maps comes from being able to
use arbitrary attributes. this allows you to browse your
music via various 'angles'. for example, the juke(1)
example allows you to browse also by compose, orchestra
and conductor.
(some time ago I played a bit with the source of the juke gui
to improve the 'hyperlinking' you can get by 'clicking through'
the various attributes shown for each item (song). i.e. you see
the song that is playing. it has among the attributes: soloist=blup .
you click on it and now get are in the view by solist,
seeing the items that have solist blup. you pick one,
and it has among the attributes: composer=mahler .
you click on that and are in the view by composer,
seeing the items that have composer mahler. etc.
and from the view of items of soloist blup you can go up
to see all soloists. etc.
don't recall how much it differs from the distribution -
i haven't used it for quite some time.)

another use of attributes is the following:
i have run a script over my map that adds something
like the permuted index that we have for the manual pages,
by shifting names/titles around, which allows browsing
by any word in title or artist.

	track {
		artist = Fay~Lovsky
		artistpF = Fay~Lovsky
		artistpL = Lovsky~~--~~Fay
		title = Christmas~Was~A~Friend~Of~Mine
		titlepC = Christmas~Was~A~Friend~Of~Mine
		titlepW = Was~A~Friend~Of~Mine~~--~~Christmas
		titlepF = Friend~Of~Mine~~--~~Christmas~Was~A
		titlepO = Of~Mine~~--~~Christmas~Was~A~Friend
		titlepM = Mine~~--~~Christmas~Was~A~Friend~Of
		Fay Lovsky -- Christmas Was A Friend Of Mine
		file {Fay_Lovsky-Christmas_Was_A_Friend_Of_Mine.mp3}
	}

(in the 'name=value' lines ~ denotes a space)
this allows you to 'sort' your data on any word from title or name.
I split the permuted title and artist indexs on first letter, because
they would be to big otherwise, hence the artistpF, artistpL etc.

I have added two scripts (one to generate a map from 'du -a' output,
one to permute a map as discussed above) 'as is' on sources in
contrib/axel/music.  they are not polished. they are in perl.

of course, it should be possible to write something that,
to juke, offers the same interface as jukefs, but does not
read the maps but just takes the structure of the filesystem
instead.

Axel.

* juke - does it need some love? (was: Re: [9fans] Ideas???)
@ 2006-09-19 13:43                     ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-09-19 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have added two scripts (one to generate a map from 'du -a' output,
> one to permute a map as discussed above) 'as is' on sources in
> contrib/axel/music.  they are not polished. they are in perl.

Actually that's my point. One should be able, by a script and/or by GUI (exec()), to create a map-file by pointing to $home/music/something. I may try to understand your script and convert it to rc(1) - I would love to have the result in the distribution. (Btw, I will fail at understanding it, it is perl ^^)

I will also look more deeply into the idea of using notes for the decoders to control them. Imho, that's the right way.

Comments?

* Re: juke - does it need some love? (was: Re: [9fans] Ideas???)
@ 2006-09-20  1:12                       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-09-20  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm sure i've heard that's all you need.