* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 23:34 jmk
From: jmk @ 2003-10-07 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

After another context-free belly-rumble:

On Tue Oct  7 18:46:49 EDT 2003, boyd@sdgm.net wrote:
> i'm with you, captain ...

perhaps someone should take you up on this:

On Mon Oct  6 14:11:00 EDT 2003, boyd@sdgm.net wrote:
>     > double edged sword.
>
>     If you don't bother giving your opinion as to why, your post is useless
>     noise.  Please either refrain from posting or spend that little more
>     time making a useful post.
>
> like i said above:  doomed if you post to little, doomed if you post too much.
>
> perhaps i should get you to edit my posts for me?

I know how I would edit most of your posts.

Seriously, if you don't have anything useful to say, don't say it.

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 23:45 ` boyd
From: boyd @ 2003-10-07 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    Seriously, if you don't have anything useful to say, don't say it.

yeah, that has not crossed my mind.

so when you're all fired, well ...

i'll just unsubscribe.  hell, maybe i'll do it right now.

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-08  0:15 ` boyd
From: boyd @ 2003-10-08  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    Seriously, if you don't have anything useful to say, don't say it.

i'm unsubscribed.  have fun ...

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-08  0:26   ` rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2003-10-08  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i'm unsubscribed.  have fun ...

well done, jmk!

-rob

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-08  2:18   ` okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-10-08  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> so when you're all fired, well ...

Seriously, what will hapeen if this comes real...

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-08  4:46 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-10-08  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> We're going to do this
> anyway, but it would be nice to get this done for real in a stretch, rather
> than on our vacations like we are doing now, even if we get 6 weeks a year
> unlike you poor Americans with 2.

We get the other 4 weeks in the form of a national entertainment
extravaganza called the "California Recall Elections".

> This has got to be more fun than picking fights with Jim Choate ...

Wounldn't bet on it.

How about "Optimizing Python In a Unique Manner" or "Optimizing Python
Is Useful, Mostly" -- both have the same acronym: OPIUM
And the obvious logo should be a python consuming itself.

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-08  3:49       ` Micah Stetson
From: Micah Stetson @ 2003-10-08  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> | > How about OOE, "optimization upon execution"?
> |
> | Err, wouldn't that be ``OUE''?
>
> Me spell good.
>
> I was thinking "on" at first, but in hindsight I like how
> it came out.  :)

I think my script has an oweee.

Micah

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 23:13   ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2003-10-07 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> pypy is a joke.  and where is my book?

You want ~500 pages on your screen or would you rather have paper.

I can send the former right now, the latter in a week.

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 22:45           ` boyd
From: boyd @ 2003-10-07 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm with you, captain ...

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-07 22:42 ` boyd
From: boyd @ 2003-10-07 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-10-07 20:31     ` rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2003-10-07 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Ronald L Johnston, The Dynamic Incremental Compiler of APL3000.
> APL79 Conference Proceedings, pages 82-87, June 1979.

maybe.  i think i saw one older than that, or maybe later but derived
from it.  its salient feature was that it did multiple compilations,
devoting more energy to optimization as the usage of the code
went up.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 19:31   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-10-07 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-10-07 17:05     ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-10-07 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

now that is weird,

that certainly isn't what I thought I posted

I had taken out the length and included a data part with some base64'd data

ah, I think maybe I know. I might have pressed escape and taken it out of raw mode then gone back into it again.

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 16:56         ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-10-07 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Python inside Python

I would call it SOS - Spit or Swallow

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 16:48   ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-10-07 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

XML everywhere

they won't be satisfied until we're using XML/IP.

<?xml version="1.0" dtd="http://www.icann.com/protocols/xml_ip.dtd">
<packet length="65535">
	<origin ipv4="192.168.1.101" port="6384" gethostbyname="cpu.punx" />
	<destination ipv4="192.168.1.100" port="80" gethostbyname="www.punx" />

</xml>

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 16:09 ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2003-10-07 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ESP = Execution-time Specialization of Programs (or, Python)

"Execution" carries some heavy baggage.

"Optimization" is a great word, connotes improvement of life at the push of
a button.

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 16:01 ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2003-10-07 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

JIT is even older than that.  there was an HP implementation of APL in
the
70's that did several layers of optimization on loops. first it
interpreted them,
then if they were busy it did some collapsing, then if it stayed busy
it did some
more, then finally it compiled to bare, highly optimized code.  i
wished i
remembered the details.  maybe it wasn't done at HP but for an HP
machine
at BNR.  not sure any more.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 15:50 Richard C Bilson
From: Richard C Bilson @ 2003-10-07 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-10-07 15:46       ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2003-10-07 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ORT = Optimization at Run Time

@ 2003-10-07 15:23     ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2003-10-07 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-10-07 15:16   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-10-07 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> How about OOE, "optimization upon execution"?

Err, wouldn't that be ``OUE''?

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 15:13 ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2003-10-07 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| This might
| be thought as "just in time program analysis".  Somebody got a sexy word
| to use to describe us?  We need to say 'more than just a JIT' but we aren't
| so hot with words.

How about OOE, "optimization upon execution"?

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 14:58 ` Nigel Roles
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nigel Roles @ 2003-10-07 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, also, while we're at it, shouldn't we get XML into rio?

I read about the idea of using XML as a graphics protocol
on Slashdot so it must be important...

http://slashdot.org/articles/03/10/06/2310218.shtml?tid=104&tid=185&tid=189&tid=190

* [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 14:38 Laura Creighton
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Laura Creighton @ 2003-10-07 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'll post my problem here.  It's off topic, but not as there-and-hell-and-gone
as a lot of the off topic posts here.

I am trying to get the EU to fund my Python-In-Python Project.  You can read
all about it at http://www.codespeak.net/pypy  We're going to do this
anyway, but it would be nice to get this done for real in a stretch, rather
than on our vacations like we are doing now, even if we get 6 weeks a year
unlike you poor Americans with 2.

But JIT is not new.  Smalltalk did it, and then self did it.  We are way more
flexible, do type inference (only since last week!!! it works!!!)  And we
can redo our high level analysis on execution.  We will (don't yet) refactor
the generated code while interpreting the actual application.  This might
be thought as "just in time program analysis".  Somebody got a sexy word
to use to describe us?  We need to say 'more than just a JIT' but we aren't
so hot with words.

Ideas?  This has got to be more fun than picking fights with Jim Choate ...

Laura