* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 23:34 jmk
From: jmk @ 2003-10-07 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

After another context-free belly-rumble:

On Tue Oct  7 18:46:49 EDT 2003, boyd@sdgm.net wrote:
> i'm with you, captain ...

perhaps someone should take you up on this:

On Mon Oct  6 14:11:00 EDT 2003, boyd@sdgm.net wrote:
>     > double edged sword.
>
>     If you don't bother giving your opinion as to why, your post is useless
>     noise.  Please either refrain from posting or spend that little more
>     time making a useful post.
>
> like i said above:  doomed if you post to little, doomed if you post too much.
>
> perhaps i should get you to edit my posts for me?

I know how I would edit most of your posts.

Seriously, if you don't have anything useful to say, don't say it.

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-08  4:46 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-10-08  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> We're going to do this
> anyway, but it would be nice to get this done for real in a stretch, rather
> than on our vacations like we are doing now, even if we get 6 weeks a year
> unlike you poor Americans with 2.

We get the other 4 weeks in the form of a national entertainment
extravaganza called the "California Recall Elections".

> This has got to be more fun than picking fights with Jim Choate ...

Wounldn't bet on it.

How about "Optimizing Python In a Unique Manner" or "Optimizing Python
Is Useful, Mostly" -- both have the same acronym: OPIUM
And the obvious logo should be a python consuming itself.

* Re: [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 15:50 Richard C Bilson
From: Richard C Bilson @ 2003-10-07 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ESP = Execution-time Specialization of Programs (or, Python)

* [9fans] some of you guys clearly need something else to think about.
@ 2003-10-07 14:38 Laura Creighton
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Laura Creighton @ 2003-10-07 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'll post my problem here.  It's off topic, but not as there-and-hell-and-gone
as a lot of the off topic posts here.

I am trying to get the EU to fund my Python-In-Python Project.  You can read
all about it at http://www.codespeak.net/pypy  We're going to do this
anyway, but it would be nice to get this done for real in a stretch, rather
than on our vacations like we are doing now, even if we get 6 weeks a year
unlike you poor Americans with 2.

But JIT is not new.  Smalltalk did it, and then self did it.  We are way more
flexible, do type inference (only since last week!!! it works!!!)  And we
can redo our high level analysis on execution.  We will (don't yet) refactor
the generated code while interpreting the actual application.  This might
be thought as "just in time program analysis".  Somebody got a sexy word
to use to describe us?  We need to say 'more than just a JIT' but we aren't
so hot with words.

Ideas?  This has got to be more fun than picking fights with Jim Choate ...

Laura