* [9fans] An Apollo Night Cap.
@ 2003-09-23 21:48 northern snowfall
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: northern snowfall @ 2003-09-23 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hey all,
	Thanks for all the previous HP advice. I finally
got the cables/caps/etc in the mail, today. I noticed,
however, that the BNC terminators come in three parts:

	+ The cap
	+ A metal cylinder of some sort
	+ The pin that functions as the male part of a BNC connector

The item(s) can be seen in this photograph, in the lower center.
http://www.pacificcable.com/photos/BNC.jpg

There are no instructions on how to put this together. If
I drop in the pin through the center of the Cap, it doesn't
lock. If it tips, the pin will just fall back out. As far as
the metal cylinder? I have no idea what it's supposed to do. It
doesn't *fit* anywhere that I can tell.

These are 50 ohm terminators.

Don

http://www.7f.no-ip.com/~north_

Debug period.

* Re: [9fans] An Apollo Night Cap.
@ 2003-09-23 23:21 ` Dan Cross
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-09-23 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

northern snowfall <dbailey27@ameritech.net> writes:

> Hey all,
> 	Thanks for all the previous HP advice. I finally
> got the cables/caps/etc in the mail, today. I noticed,
> however, that the BNC terminators come in three parts:
>
> 	+ The cap
> 	+ A metal cylinder of some sort
> 	+ The pin that functions as the male part of a BNC connector
>
> The item(s) can be seen in this photograph, in the lower center.
> http://www.pacificcable.com/photos/BNC.jpg
>
> There are no instructions on how to put this together. If
> I drop in the pin through the center of the Cap, it doesn't
> lock. If it tips, the pin will just fall back out. As far as
> the metal cylinder? I have no idea what it's supposed to do. It
> doesn't *fit* anywhere that I can tell.

Oh, you should have gotten pre-made cables.  You need a crimp-tool,
soldering iron, and wire stripers to put those together, if you got
what I think you did (I haven't looked at the website).  My gut is to
send that stuff back, go to your local radio shack, and ask them to
make you a length of RG-58 coax with BNC connectors on either end.
Trust me; don't waste your time.  I swore that sometime in 1993 was the
last time I'd ever crimp BNC connectors onto RG-58.

> These are 50 ohm terminators.

I hope they're not terminators at all, but rather, connectors.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] An Apollo Night Cap.
@ 2003-09-23 23:46   ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2003-09-23 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

50Ω resistors, perhaps?

* Re: [9fans] An Apollo Night Cap.
@ 2003-09-24  0:18 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-09-24  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, northern snowfall wrote:

> There are no instructions on how to put this together. If
> I drop in the pin through the center of the Cap, it doesn't
> lock. If it tips, the pin will just fall back out. As far as
> the metal cylinder? I have no idea what it's supposed to do. It
> doesn't *fit* anywhere that I can tell.

You purchased crimp style connectors probably, You'll need the crimp tool
at least, and perhaps a soldering iron for that center connector (ala
PL-259).

You might want to see about just purchasing solder style connectors since
they are much easier to use, but not as robust to physical abuse in
general as the crimp style.

 -- --

God exists because mathematics is consistent, and the Devil exist because we
can't prove it.
                          Andre Weil, in H. Eves, Mathematical Circles Adieu

      ravage@ssz.com                            jchoate@open-forge.com
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.com

* Re: [9fans] An Apollo Night Cap.
@ 2003-09-24  0:31     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-09-24  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 50Ω resistors, perhaps?

Well, yes; terminators in this context are just 50Ω worth of
resistors stuck on the back of a BNC connector.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] An Apollo Night Cap.
@ 2003-09-24  1:39 ` Eric Grosse
From: Eric Grosse @ 2003-09-24  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Amphenol, a top name in RF connectors, has a guide that may help:
   http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/AssemblyInstructions/bnc.pdf
One useful trick, if you find dealing with the braid is a mess,
is to tin the braid before cutting.

73 de Eric N2VI

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3202 bytes --]

From: northern snowfall <dbailey27@ameritech.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] An Apollo Night Cap.
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:48:59 -0500

@ 2003-09-24  2:08   ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-09-24  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Eric Grosse wrote:

> Amphenol, a top name in RF connectors, has a guide that may help:
>    http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/AssemblyInstructions/bnc.pdf
> One useful trick, if you find dealing with the braid is a mess,
> is to tin the braid before cutting.

Just make sure the connector doesn't require the braid to be folded back
before you solder it, otherwise you'll just have to start all over. Also a
dental pick and small edge cutters are best for working with braid.

Another hint if you're going to be soldering braid is not to use a
standard soldering iron but a soldering gun. The soldering iron usually
doesn't have enough heat to heat and wet the braid fast enough not to
damage the insulation between it and the core. A gun that is suitable for
working on old tubes will be perfect for this.

 -- --

God exists because mathematics is consistent, and the Devil exist because we
can't prove it.
                          Andre Weil, in H. Eves, Mathematical Circles Adieu

      ravage@ssz.com                            jchoate@open-forge.com
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.com

* Re: [9fans] An Apollo Night Cap.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-09-24 10:23 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-24 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The item(s) can be seen in this photograph, in the lower center.
> http://www.pacificcable.com/photos/BNC.jpg

left to right you have:

    - unknown thing
    - f/f connector
    - t connector
    - terminator
    - f? crimpable connector

foreground:

    - m pin
    - crimp cylinder (for the coax)
    - m BNC

the foreground stuff is: get the coax, soldering iron, and crimp tool out.

i like BNC's but they are a bitch to assemble by hand.  god knows i've
done enough of 'em.

just don't say 'F connector'.

* Re: [9fans] An Apollo Night Cap.
@ 2003-09-24 10:49   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-09-24 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

we've got appropriate bits in our cupboard and i'd send them too if
i  didn't suspect there must be someone closer to him that could do so.
it seems more straightforward than all this DIY advice, however fascinating.

* Re: [9fans] An Apollo Night Cap.
@ 2003-09-24 11:13   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-24 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> One useful trick, if you find dealing with the braid is a mess,
> is to tin the braid before cutting.

that's for sissies, 73 de VK2BHR.

* Re: [9fans] An Apollo Night Cap.
@ 2003-09-24 11:22     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-24 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Just make sure the connector doesn't require the braid to be folded back
> before you solder it, otherwise you'll just have to start all over. Also a
> dental pick and small edge cutters are best for working with braid.

but you forgot the essential M-203 ...

* Re: [9fans] An Apollo Night Cap.
@ 2003-09-24 13:38     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-24 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hell, i'd fly there and do it if someone would pick up the airfare.

spent a lotta time with RG-58/BNC/F/SO-259/PL-259/N-connectors/vampire taps ...

that SWR will ruin your whole day(s).

* Re: [9fans] An Apollo Night Cap.
@ 2003-09-24 14:04       ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-24 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)