* Re: [9fans] migrating from oventi to nventi
@ 2008-03-03 20:11 ` david bulkow
From: david bulkow @ 2008-03-03 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:26 PM, <cinap_lenrek@gmx.de> wrote:

> first tried to extract arenas with oventis venti/rdarena and then
> pumping them into nventi with nventis venti/wrarena.
> when tried to format fossil with the last root-score, it failed to
> find the block.

I have found the need to rebuild the index a couple of times with nventi
since i switched from old to new.  The first was just after switching
in-place from old to new.  The second was a month later when I started to
see block-rot again, although most likely caused by something I did.

* [9fans] migrating from oventi to nventi
@ 2008-03-03 20:26 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2008-03-03 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have problems migrating oventi data to nventi on another machine.

first tried to extract arenas with oventis venti/rdarena and then
pumping them into nventi with nventis venti/wrarena.
when tried to format fossil with the last root-score, it failed to
find the block.

i tried oventis venti/copy with -f mode... this time formating fossil
with the rootscore worked, but when doing du -a and venti read
error appeared. the missing scores had the last digit always set to
zero iirc...

the same happend with nventis venti/copy -m.
(exact same read errors)

then tried with -m -r (rewrite) option and this got me to where i started...
fossil cant find the rootscore.

the old venti/fossil system where i copying from runs just fine, no missing
blocks or disk errors.

any further ideas?

cinap

* Re: [9fans] migrating from oventi to nventi
@ 2008-03-03 21:58   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2008-03-03 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

dont know, but this are 2 physical different machines... i'm not
putting a nventi on oventis partitions... this is all from scratch...
before every try i reformated any arenas, isects and bloom-filters
of nventi.

but i'll try the rd/wrarena thing again and this time rebuilding the
whole index first.

thansk :-)

cinap

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 5453 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 573 bytes --]

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:26 PM, <cinap_lenrek@gmx.de> wrote:

> first tried to extract arenas with oventis venti/rdarena and then
> pumping them into nventi with nventis venti/wrarena.
> when tried to format fossil with the last root-score, it failed to
> find the block.

I have found the need to rebuild the index a couple of times with nventi
since i switched from old to new.  The first was just after switching
in-place from old to new.  The second was a month later when I started to
see block-rot again, although most likely caused by something I did.

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 814 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] migrating from oventi to nventi *solved*
@ 2008-03-05  9:24     ` Kernel Panic
From: Kernel Panic @ 2008-03-05  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>>first tried to extract arenas with oventis venti/rdarena and then
>>pumping them into nventi with nventis venti/wrarena.
>>when tried to format fossil with the last root-score, it failed to
>>find the block.
>>

>I have found the need to rebuild the index a couple of times with nventi
>since i switched from old to new.  The first was just after switching
>in-place from old to new.  The second was a month later when I started to
>see block-rot again, although most likely caused by something I did.

good hint, works for me!

pulled/pushed arenas with oventi venti/rdarena venti/wrarena and after
all arenas where
copied, it rebuild the index with nventis venti/buildindex (btw.
buildindex doesnt require
a temporary space anymore, so thanks to the author for this improvement).

thanks again! :-)

cinap