* [9fans] Boot problems
@ 2006-09-04  5:31 andrew.simmons
From: andrew.simmons @ 2006-09-04  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Having been inspired to work through Nemo's outstanding draft book - for
which many many thanks - I've been trying to install a recent build of Plan9
on my antique Thinkpad 380XD, which was running an older build in peaceful
coexistence with Windows 95, and I have hit a few problems.

Given that no-one was any longer using the machine to run Windows 95, I
decided to trash the Windows partition and give the whole disk over to Plan
9. The installation completed after a few problems, I selected plan9 as the
boot method and - I think this could have been my mistake - I elected to
overwrite the existing MBR. When I powered up the machine, it briefly
displayed 'MBR...', which vanished to be replaced by an underscore, after
which nothing happened.

Having looked through the archives, I tried:

disk/format -b /386/pbs /dev/sdC0/9fat

which reported 'used 0 bytes' On re-booting, the machine displayed:

MBR...PBS1...

and then nothing happened.

I tried using /386/pbslba instead, and got:

MBR...PBS2...

after which nothing happened. The machine boots fine from CD, but seems to
lose touch with the CD drive after a while and then lock up.

I have no clue what I am doing here, and would appreciate any suggestions.

* Re: [9fans] Boot problems
@ 2006-09-04 20:59 ` Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2006-09-04 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Probably you did, but, did you copy 9load to 9fat along with
> a Plan 9ini and a kernel?
>
> Know it sounds stupid, but time ago I forgot and just didn't
> notice.

I didn't explicitly do this, just let the installation run its course -
I'll have a look to see what's actually on 9fat later on, thanks.

* [9fans] Boot problems
@ 2006-09-04  7:36 Fco. J. Ballesteros
From: Fco. J. Ballesteros @ 2006-09-04  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-10-11 15:43 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-10-11 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you make yourself a boot floppy do you still have problems?

(You can do this by booting the install floppy again;
it knows you're done with the install and will let you
make a boot floppy.)

Russ

* [9fans] Boot problems
@ 2002-10-11 15:40 david
From: david @ 2002-10-11 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I just installed plan 9 on my machine (ABit VP6, dual pentium 3-board), and the
install went through fine. However, when I try to boot the newly-installed
system, I get the following output:

PBS...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0E20
apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=fdfa di=0 ebx=806c esi=3e4
dev A0 port 1F0 config 045A capabilities 0B00 mwdma 0007 udma 041F
dev B0 port 1F0 config 85C0 capabilities 0F00 mwdma 0007
dev A0 port 170 config 0040 capabilities 2F00 mwdma 0007 udma 203F
dev B0 port 170 config 0040 capabilities 2F00 mwdma 0007 udma 203F
FLAGS=10246 TRAP=e ECODE=2 PC=80036b3d
  AX 00000000 BX 00000000 CX 00033577 DX 00000000
  SI 00ef4c80 DI 81000000 BP 00200000
  CS 0010 DS 0008 ES 0008 FS 0008 GS 0008
  CR0 80000011 CR2 81000000 CR3 0000c000
panic: exception/interrupt 14

Press almost any key to reset..

I'm booting the system using grub (just chainload the p9 partition). I added
the debug=1 option to the first line of plan9.ini, but I got no additional info
(This is actually the output with debug=1).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, please include me on replies, as I'm not subscribed to 9fans.

--
David S. Geirsson
david@bsd.is

--