* Re: [9fans] Drawterm and fileserver
@ 2003-09-20 13:50 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-09-20 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matthias, 9fans

You don't, its just a cpu connection to a cpu server.
Drawterm isn't an emulation of a plan 9 terminal, just
an emulation of a plan 9 terminal at the end of a connection
to a cpu server.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2902 bytes --]

From: Matthias Teege <matthias@mteege.de>
To: 9fans <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] Drawterm and fileserver
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:59:45 +0200

Moin,

with a lot of help from the 9fans my Plan9 network is now up and
running. I have a cpu/auth- and a fileserver and I can remote boot
terminals. After booting the terminals they are using the fileserver
as expected.

I also play with drawterm. I can connect to the cpu/auth server,
authenticate a user and login. But if I login with drawterm, the
filesystem isn't mounted from the fileserver but from the cpu/auth
server.

How do I tell drawterm to work like the remote booted terminal?

I also have s problem with «9fs dump». This command gives me
«mount: mount /n/dump: attach -- bad specifier». 9fs batida works
and I can also mount the dump with:

srv -q il!batida
mount /srv/il!batida /n/dump dump

Many thanks
Matthias

--
Matthias Teege -- http://www.mteege.de
make world not war

* Re: [9fans] Drawterm and fileserver
@ 2003-09-20 14:07 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-09-20 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You could do what rsc suggested, but if you want your auth server on a stand alone
machine and it is also the cpu server, you could have whatever name space you want
when you cpu into the cpu server just by using the -n argument on aux/listen.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 5096 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 189 bytes --]

You don't, its just a cpu connection to a cpu server.
Drawterm isn't an emulation of a plan 9 terminal, just
an emulation of a plan 9 terminal at the end of a connection
to a cpu server.

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2902 bytes --]

From: Matthias Teege <matthias@mteege.de>
To: 9fans <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:59:45 +0200

@ 2003-09-20 14:15   ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-09-20 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Argh! I know I'm crazy when I continually contradict my own email messages.

cpu does its own newns so giving a -n namespace to aux/listen won't work.
However, you could do the appropriate binds in the cpu case of your profile
to see whatever namespace you'ld like:

switch($service){
case terminal
case cpu
	bind -a /mnt/term/mnt/wsys /dev
	bind /mnt/term/dev/cons /dev/cons
	bind /mnt/term/dev/consctl /dev/consctl
	bind -a /mnt/term/dev /dev
	srv fileserver
	mount /srv/fileserver /n/fileserver
	bind /n/fileserver/usr /usr
	bind /n/fileserver/sys /sys
}

None of this will result in a direct connection from the machine you run
drawterm on to the fileserver.  It'll always be filtered through cpu.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 7401 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 245 bytes --]

You could do what rsc suggested, but if you want your auth server on a stand alone
machine and it is also the cpu server, you could have whatever name space you want
when you cpu into the cpu server just by using the -n argument on aux/listen.

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 5096 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 189 bytes --]

You don't, its just a cpu connection to a cpu server.
Drawterm isn't an emulation of a plan 9 terminal, just
an emulation of a plan 9 terminal at the end of a connection
to a cpu server.

[-- Attachment #2.1.2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2902 bytes --]

From: Matthias Teege <matthias@mteege.de>
To: 9fans <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:59:45 +0200

@ 2003-09-20  7:08 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-09-20  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You can actually set up your cpu/auth server to boot
from the file server directly rather than from its
own local disk.  Then drawterming in will show you
the file server (and you won't have to maintain the
local disk on the cpu server!).

See plan9.ini(8) and boot(8) for the options.  You want to boot from
IL, and since you won't have anyone to set up your
IP configuration you'll have to put that in too.
(Something like
bootargs=il!-g 192.168.5.1 ether /net/ether0 192.168.5.123 255.255.255.0
fs=192.168.5.234
if I remember correctly.  The auth id for the file
server needs to be the same as the auth id you're
using on the cpu server in order for the bootstrap
to work without having an auth server already.

Russ

* [9fans] Drawterm and fileserver
@ 2003-09-20  6:59 Matthias Teege