* [9fans] out of physical memory; no swap configured
@ 2010-02-27 11:47 Bela Valek
From: Bela Valek @ 2010-02-27 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

I used Erik's 9atoms.iso to install Plan 9. When its booting, after
its asking for root partition and username, I get the error message
repeated: "out of physical memory; no swap configured". Why, oh why?

I use fossil without venti, on a 2GB partition, the RAM is also 2 GB.

I found the message in
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/plan9/sys/src/9/port/swap.c -
static void pager(void *junk).

Greetings: Béla

* Re: [9fans] out of physical memory; no swap configured
@ 2010-02-27 16:28 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-27 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Feb 27 06:49:47 EST 2010, bvalek2@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used Erik's 9atoms.iso to install Plan 9. When its booting, after
> its asking for root partition and username, I get the error message
> repeated: "out of physical memory; no swap configured". Why, oh why?

memory scan went sideways due to broken bios?  the memory
messages printed during startup should be helpful.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] out of physical memory; no swap configured
@ 2010-03-01 22:53 ` Georg Lehner
From: Georg Lehner @ 2010-03-01 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello!

When you are done setting up the system do not reboot right away,
rather reconfigure venti (via venti/conf) with small enough memory
settings.  Then you can restart safely.

Regards,

    Jorge-Le�n

@ 2010-03-12 11:06   ` Bela Valek
From: Bela Valek @ 2010-03-12 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2010/2/27 erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>:
> On Sat Feb 27 06:49:47 EST 2010, bvalek2@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I used Erik's 9atoms.iso to install Plan 9. When its booting, after
>> its asking for root partition and username, I get the error message
>> repeated: "out of physical memory; no swap configured". Why, oh why?
>
> memory scan went sideways due to broken bios?  the memory
> messages printed during startup should be helpful.
>
> - erik

I attached a screenshot (sic!). You can see that Plan 9 found only 8
Megs of RAM, also there is the reflection of my cousin and me, sorry
for the fingerprints :)

How do other operating systems detect the available RAM? Could Plan 9
use the same method?

Also, I didnt install Venti.

Greetings: Bela

[-- Attachment #2: error20100312.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 635515 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] out of physical memory; no swap configured
@ 2010-03-12 16:37     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-03-12 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> How do other operating systems detect the available RAM? Could Plan 9
> use the same method?

plan 9 uses the same methods for detecting ram
everyone else does.  perhaps we trust bios too much,
but 8mb isn't impossible, either.

try
	a *noe820scan=1
at the 9load menu prompt.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] out of physical memory; no swap configured
@ 2010-03-19  8:36       ` Bela Valek
From: Bela Valek @ 2010-03-19  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2010/3/12 erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com>:
>> How do other operating systems detect the available RAM? Could Plan 9
>> use the same method?
>
> plan 9 uses the same methods for detecting ram
> everyone else does.  perhaps we trust bios too much,
> but 8mb isn't impossible, either.
>
> try
>        a *noe820scan=1
> at the 9load menu prompt.
>
> - erik

Hi,

I tried it and didnt work, I got the same output. Maybe its time to
trust BIOS less... :(

Greetings: Bela

* Re: [9fans] out of physical memory; no swap configured
@ 2010-03-19 14:27         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-03-19 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Bela Valek <bvalek2@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/3/12 erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com>:
> >> How do other operating systems detect the available RAM? Could Plan 9
> >> use the same method?
> >
> > plan 9 uses the same methods for detecting ram
> > everyone else does.  perhaps we trust bios too much,
> > but 8mb isn't impossible, either.
> >
> > try
> >        a *noe820scan=1
> > at the 9load menu prompt.
> >
> > - erik
> >

> Hi,
>
> I tried it and didnt work, I got the same output. Maybe its time to
> trust BIOS less... :(

I had this error on VMWare recently.  The solution was to disable Venti and
just use fossil.  Venti is of questionable value when I'm already
snapshotting my host's filesystem anyway.

I think the real correct answer is to set Venti up with the correct
parameters by hand before restarting.  I didn't try that though.

Dave

@ 2010-03-19 14:30           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-03-19 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I had this error on VMWare recently.  The solution was to disable Venti and
> just use fossil.  Venti is of questionable value when I'm already
> snapshotting my host's filesystem anyway.

won't help.  his situation is dire.  only 8mb of memory
seen.

- erik