* [9fans] Are there disadvantages to walk?
@ 2019-04-01 10:27 Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2019-04-01 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I remember hearing of some disadvantage to walking directories, but can't remember what it was.  Could someone remind me, please?  Perhaps there was more than one, of course.  Perhaps a performance trick couldn't be employed?

* Re: [9fans] Are there disadvantages to walk?
@ 2019-04-01 16:26 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-04-01 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

perhaps you mean that if you bind a lot you have to walk a lot :)

* Re: [9fans] Are there disadvantages to walk?
@ 2019-04-01 16:32   ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2019-04-01 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019, at 5:27 PM, hiro wrote:
> perhaps you mean that if you bind a lot you have to walk a lot :)

If that's the only issue, I'll be happy.  :)

* Re: [9fans] Are there disadvantages to walk?
@ 2019-04-02 14:46   ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2019-04-02 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019, at 8:53 PM, Brian L. Stuart wrote:

> The only complaint I've had about walk was the expectation
> in the protocol that servers produce the list of Qids all
> the way down.  That got in the way when experimenting
> with a server that used a hash table of full path names
> to speed the walk process.

I can see how that would be a problem.  Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] Are there disadvantages to walk?
       [not found] <1859706859.14691305.1554148175942.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2019-04-01 19:49 ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2019-04-01 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 4/1/19, Ethan Gardener <eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> I remember hearing of some disadvantage to
> walking directories, but can't remember what it was.
> Could someone remind me, please?  Perhaps there was
> more than one, of course.  Perhaps a performance trick
> couldn't be employed?

The only complaint I've had about walk was the expectation
in the protocol that servers produce the list of Qids all
the way down.  That got in the way when experimenting
with a server that used a hash table of full path names
to speed the walk process.

BLS