* Re: [9fans] 9nfs
@ 2003-10-10  0:54 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2003-10-10  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Oct 10 09:35:37 JST 2003, matt@proweb.co.uk wrote:
> Before I start the long journey does anyone have any insight into how
> well plan9 behaves as an nfs server.

i think 9nfs behaves very well because nfsserver(8) says:

     DESCRIPTION
          ........  All
          users on client machines have the access privileges of the
          Plan 9 user `none'.
           :
     BUGS
          It would be nice to provide authentication for users, but
          Unix systems provide too low a level of security to be
          trusted in a Plan 9 world.

but this behaviour could be considered bad for your purpose.

* [9fans] 9nfs
@ 2003-10-10  1:38 matt
From: matt @ 2003-10-10  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm interested in building a FreeBSD to boot diskless and was reading
nfsserver(8)

Ending up in the source code and I noticed snippets of debugging cruft
hanging around such as the fprints and commented out alarms in
/sys/src/cmd/9nfs/unixnames.c shown below.

Before I start the long journey does anyone have any insight into how
well plan9 behaves as an nfs server.

=============
		free(m);
		break;
	}
fprint(2, "looking for %lux\n", clientip);
	if(getdom(clientip, dom, sizeof dom)<0){
		clog("auth: unknown ip address");
		return nil;
	}
fprint(2, "dom is %s\n", dom);
	for(r=idhead; r; r=r->next){
		if(r->u.timestamp == 0 || r->g.timestamp == 0)
==========

	char *l;
// 	long savalarm;

// 	savalarm = alarm(0);
	in = Bopen(file, OREAD);
	if(in == 0){
		clog("readunixidmaps can't open %s: %r\n", file);
//		alarm(savalarm);
		return -1;
	}
===============

* Re: [9fans] 9nfs
@ 2003-10-10  0:10 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-10-10  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Before I start the long journey does anyone have any insight into how
> well plan9 behaves as an nfs server.

Behavior is adequate, but not spectacular.  I have an NFS3 server
somewhere, but it's not any faster.  It might be more stable.
Without locking support, I'm not sure you'll be able to
boot FreeBSD off it.

I've used it to serve NFS to Linux and FreeBSD before,
but the lack of exact Unix semantics (in particular the
locking) usually forces me to store the files on the
alien systems and use u9fs.

> =============
> 		free(m);
> 		break;
> 	}
> fprint(2, "looking for %lux\n", clientip);
> 	if(getdom(clientip, dom, sizeof dom)<0){
> 		clog("auth: unknown ip address");
> 		return nil;
> 	}
> fprint(2, "dom is %s\n", dom);
> 	for(r=idhead; r; r=r->next){
> 		if(r->u.timestamp == 0 || r->g.timestamp == 0)
> ==========

This I always have problems with -- the clients must
be listed in ndb in order to be spoken to, so these
prints tell me what's going on.

> ==========
>
> 	char *l;
> // 	long savalarm;
>
> // 	savalarm = alarm(0);
> 	in = Bopen(file, OREAD);
> 	if(in == 0){
> 		clog("readunixidmaps can't open %s: %r\n", file);
> //		alarm(savalarm);
> 		return -1;
> 	}

This caused problems for Geoff.  The alarm can interrupt
other I/O and confuse things.  I don't remember the details.

Russ