* acme, upas commits
@ 2014-05-13 11:11 Alexander Sychev
From: Alexander Sychev @ 2014-05-13 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plan9port-dev, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have commited some changes in my experimental fork of plan9port.
https://bitbucket.org/santucco/plan9port

For acme I made thread safe processing of regular expressions (actually by
creating some context).
For upas/nfs I made a monitoring of all mailboxes and a decoding of
international names of mailboxes.

I'm living with these changes for some time, they are working.

P.S.
By the way, new log feature is excellent, it's a time to make more
applications for acme :-)
--
Best regards,
  santucco

--

---

* Re: acme, upas commits
@ 2014-05-13 12:23 ` quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2014-05-13 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plan9port-dev; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

in theory the threads that interact with regular expressions in acme
are all cooperatively scheduled.  have you seen a case where they
are not?  did pthreads blow up the model?

- erik

--

---

* Re: acme, upas commits
@ 2014-05-13 12:34   ` Alexander Sychev
From: Alexander Sychev @ 2014-05-13 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: quanstro; +Cc: plan9port-dev, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There were problems in p9p under linux, when amail makes  simultaneous
searches in different windows.

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 4:23 PM, quanstro <quanstro@gmail.com> wrote:

> in theory the threads that interact with regular expressions in acme
> are all cooperatively scheduled.  have you seen a case where they
> are not?  did pthreads blow up the model?
>
> - erik
>

> On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 7:11:02 AM UTC-4, Alexander Sychev wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have commited some changes in my experimental fork of plan9port.
>> https://bitbucket.org/santucco/plan9port
>>
>> For acme I made thread safe processing of regular expressions (actually
>> by creating some context).
>> For upas/nfs I made a monitoring of all mailboxes and a decoding of
>> international names of mailboxes.
>>
>> I'm living with these changes for some time, they are working.
>>
>> P.S.
>> By the way, new log feature is excellent, it's a time to make more
>> applications for acme :-)
>> --
>> Best regards,
>>   santucco
>>
>  --
>
> ---

Best regards,
  santucco

--

---

* Re: acme, upas commits
@ 2014-05-13 12:44     ` quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2014-05-13 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plan9port-dev; +Cc: quanstro, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

did you track down why the unexpected concurrency was happening?  this
could result in other bugs as well.

- erik

--

---

* Re: acme, upas commits
@ 2014-05-13 13:34       ` Alexander Sychev
From: Alexander Sychev @ 2014-05-13 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: quanstro; +Cc: plan9port-dev, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Are there other similar bugs?

Actually, I was digging only the amail's problem.
Now I can't recall all details (it was few months ago), but I had saw
parallel calls of regexp functions without any lock and I thought it should
be such way.

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 4:44 PM, quanstro <quanstro@gmail.com> wrote:

> did you track down why the unexpected concurrency was happening?  this
> could result in other bugs as well.
>
> - erik
>

> On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:34:29 AM UTC-4, Alexander Sychev wrote:
>
>> There were problems in p9p under linux, when amail makes  simultaneous
>> searches in different windows.
>>

>> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 4:23 PM, quanstro <quan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> in theory the threads that interact with regular expressions in acme
>>> are all cooperatively scheduled.  have you seen a case where they
>>> are not?  did pthreads blow up the model?
>>>
>>> - erik

>>>  --
>>>
>>> ---
>>>

>> --