* [9fans] trying to repair my fossil + venti system
@ 2004-01-12 20:10 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-01-12 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

booted the cdrom, started fossil, still getting xxx1 disk is full errors
of course, and ... there is no fscons in /srv.

What would cause that? Is fossil so unhappy it won't put an fscons out
there or is the 'boot from cd' limited in some way?

seems it does make some sense to have something drop the score into a safe
file somewhere ... this was on my list but obviously I waited too long.
Any suggested locations?

Anyone have good ideas about where to hunt for the score given that I
foolishly did not email it to myself or write it down?

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] trying to repair my fossil + venti system
@ 2004-01-12 21:52 ` mirtchov
From: mirtchov @ 2004-01-12 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> booted the cdrom, started fossil, still getting xxx1 disk is full errors
> of course, and ... there is no fscons in /srv.
>
> What would cause that? Is fossil so unhappy it won't put an fscons out
> there or is the 'boot from cd' limited in some way?

fossil is _hardwired_ to srv fscons by init.
/sys/src/9/boot/local.c:247 says:

	run("/boot/fossil", "-f", partition, "-c", "srv -A fboot", "-c", "srv -p fscons", 0);

so you'll need to do a "-c 'srv -p fscons'" when you start it...

I know this because I spent a day trying to fix fossil crashing while
compiled with the 9pccpuf kernels -- poor thing was trying to srv
fscons twice and instead of telling me that it can't, it just crashed
(which seems to mirror the behaviour in your case ;)

> seems it does make some sense to have something drop the score into a safe
> file somewhere ... this was on my list but obviously I waited too long.
> Any suggested locations?

I have no idea how to determine the latest score..  seems to me (from
what I understand) any valid score that you see on the disk is a
possible root of a file system...  I don't think any timestamps are
stored with the score either...

I'd try and clean up fossil as per Nemo's suggestion.  If successful
you can do a 'snap -a' and use this score as your 'last known good
state'.

do you have one of those old dot matrix printers?  clog-ing to
something like that is a very good way of having non-digital copies of
the venti score :)

[Offtopic] It's also good as an instant notification of possible
problems with the system -- once upon a time we had our firewall
software write to a dot matrix printer connected on LPT1, so as soon
as it started printing stuff (making noise!) we knew we're being
portscanned...  'twas fun -- no threat level colorizations or some
such tomfoolery, just the facts ;)

andrey

* Re: [9fans] trying to repair my fossil + venti system
@ 2004-01-12 23:09   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2004-01-12 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

there are some (possible) aids in /sys/src/cmd/venti

mk 8.printarena

then look at dumpvacroots and try a suitably modified copy