* [9fans] 9atom Boot Error
@ 2014-02-27 20:32 Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-02-27 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello 9fans,

Tried installing 9atom on a dual core Pentium that worked with 9front, and
got this error in the screenshot after I had installed. Any clues on where
I'd gone wrong would be great!

Many thanks!

[-- Attachment #2: 9atom boot error.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 1180450 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] 9atom Boot Error
@ 2014-02-27 20:52 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-27 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Feb 27 15:35:31 EST 2014, edgecomberts@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello 9fans,
>
> Tried installing 9atom on a dual core Pentium that worked with 9front, and
> got this error in the screenshot after I had installed. Any clues on where
> I'd gone wrong would be great!

looks like you used an older image with the pae option.  try

	http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+usbinstamd64.bz2

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom Boot Error
@ 2014-02-27 20:55   ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-02-27 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks Erik, I'll try that tonight, let you know how it goes.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 7:52 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>wrote:

> On Thu Feb 27 15:35:31 EST 2014, edgecomberts@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > Hello 9fans,
> >
> > Tried installing 9atom on a dual core Pentium that worked with 9front,
> and
> > got this error in the screenshot after I had installed. Any clues on
> where
> > I'd gone wrong would be great!
>
> looks like you used an older image with the pae option.  try
>
>         http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+usbinstamd64.bz2
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom Boot Error
@ 2014-02-27 21:06     ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-02-27 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Quick question Erik - is it ok to just "dd" that uncompressed file to a
flash stick on my Macbook?

Many thanks!

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 7:55 AM, Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks Erik, I'll try that tonight, let you know how it goes.
>

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 7:52 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>wrote:
>
>> On Thu Feb 27 15:35:31 EST 2014, edgecomberts@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>> > Hello 9fans,
>> >
>> > Tried installing 9atom on a dual core Pentium that worked with 9front,
>> and
>> > got this error in the screenshot after I had installed. Any clues on
>> where
>> > I'd gone wrong would be great!
>>
>> looks like you used an older image with the pae option.  try
>>
>>         http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+usbinstamd64.bz2
>>
>> - erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom Boot Error
@ 2014-02-27 21:11       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-27 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Feb 27 16:07:12 EST 2014, edgecomberts@gmail.com wrote:

> Quick question Erik - is it ok to just "dd" that uncompressed file to a
> flash stick on my Macbook?

unless there's something magic about mac flash sticks, i do the same
thing to test.  except with plan 9.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom Boot Error
@ 2014-03-01 22:55         ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-03-01 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Erik,

I've written the uncompressed file to a flash stick, and tried booting my
dual core Pentium - no dice. Won't even recognise theres a flash stick
plugged in with a disk image written to it. Likewise, my Mac said it wasn't
able to read the flash stick once I had done the "dd" command.

Is there an .ISO for that disk image you linked me to?

Many thanks!

Shane.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 8:11 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>wrote:

> On Thu Feb 27 16:07:12 EST 2014, edgecomberts@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Quick question Erik - is it ok to just "dd" that uncompressed file to a
> > flash stick on my Macbook?
>
> unless there's something magic about mac flash sticks, i do the same
> thing to test.  except with plan 9.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom Boot Error
@ 2014-03-01 23:02           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-01 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've written the uncompressed file to a flash stick, and tried booting my
> dual core Pentium - no dice. Won't even recognise theres a flash stick
> plugged in with a disk image written to it. Likewise, my Mac said it wasn't
> able to read the flash stick once I had done the "dd" command.
>
> Is there an .ISO for that disk image you linked me to?

that's unfortunate.  did you check that the usb device is in the bios
boot order?

if that doesn't work, here are two cd images.  the first one has the
best chance of working, but it locks up on some hardware.  it treats
the cd as a disk image, so we can pack a few more things in than
we could emulating a 1.44mb floppy.

	http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+9atom.nboot.iso.bz2
	http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+9atom.iso.bz2

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom Boot Error
@ 2014-03-01 23:48             ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-03-01 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Does thi iso deal with new disks ?
>> I've written the uncompressed file to a flash stick, and tried booting my
>> dual core Pentium - no dice. Won't even recognise theres a flash stick
>> plugged in with a disk image written to it. Likewise, my Mac said it wasn't
>> able to read the flash stick once I had done the "dd" command.
>>
>> Is there an .ISO for that disk image you linked me to?
> that's unfortunate.  did you check that the usb device is in the bios
> boot order?
>
> if that doesn't work, here are two cd images.  the first one has the
> best chance of working, but it locks up on some hardware.  it treats
> the cd as a disk image, so we can pack a few more things in than
> we could emulating a 1.44mb floppy.
>
> 	http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+9atom.nboot.iso.bz2
> 	http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+9atom.iso.bz2
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom Boot Error
@ 2014-03-02  1:53     ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-03-02  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

No, I'd gone through the install process for the second image, and I still
got the "No bootfile" error even though I had reinstalled using the updated
image. Sorry for not being clear enough.

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 12:41 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>wrote:

> On Sat Mar  1 19:13:08 EST 2014, edgecomberts@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Erik, I tried the second image in the list you gave me, same error - "No
> > bootfile."
> >
> > I think I might try wiping the disk completely with a Linux installer,
> then
> > try the first image.
>
> a number of bioses have an f10 boot override option.  it may be
> that your machine simply isn't trying to boot cd/usb.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom Boot Error
@ 2014-03-02  1:41   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-02  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2014-03-02  0:11 ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-03-02  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Erik Quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by new disks.
>
> - erik
>

> Adriano Verardo <adriano.verardo@mail.com> wrote:
>
> >Does thi iso deal with new disks ?
> my
> wasn't

> >> that's unfortunate.  did you check that the usb device is in the bios
> >> boot order?
> >>
> >> if that doesn't work, here are two cd images.  the first one has the
> >> best chance of working, but it locks up on some hardware.  it treats
> >> the cd as a disk image, so we can pack a few more things in than
> >> we could emulating a 1.44mb floppy.
> >>
> >>      http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+9atom.nboot.iso.bz2
> >>      http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+9atom.iso.bz2
> >>
> >> - erik