* [9fans] I went down a Forth rabbit hole and found Glenda
@ 2019-09-21 16:45 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2019-09-21 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So...

I have had a couple of STM32F103C8T6 "bluepill" boards laying around for a
few years and decided to do something with them.

After some uninteresting attempts with Arduino, I found Mecrisp-Stellaris
Forth (http://mecrisp.sourceforge.net/) which works great.

This lead me to wonder if there are any 9P implementations in Forth (surely
not?)
Yes! there is one by iru (https://github.com/iru-/9p4).

Then I thought about the impossible: a 9p file server in mecrisp forth. I
discovered someone had already done exactly that:
https://hub.darcs.net/pointfree/ForthFS

-Skip

* Re: [9fans] I went down a Forth rabbit hole and found Glenda
@ 2019-09-22  7:17 ` Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2019-09-22  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Skip,

Glad you found 9p4! Please let me know if you need any help with it.
It is not complete and surely lacks documentation, but testclient.f
can help you get started. It currently implements the minimum required
to walk and do file i/o.

@ 2019-09-22  9:43 ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2019-09-22  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Replying to the subject, I'm surprised there's not more association between Forth and Plan 9. Both seem to be based on changing design goals to make the software simple. ;) The biggest difference for me is the Forth world tells you how. (It's a bigger world, so there are more people to write books, I guess.) In Plan 9, we just get heavily-factored C code without explanation. Not knowing why it's factored, we misapply the term "bikeshedding". I knew I should have read Thinking Forth years ago.

Now I'm wondering how much of Plan 9 development time went into factoring for minimalism.