* [9fans] Plan 9 server controls impaired and steps taken before failure.
@ 2005-05-10  1:43 Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2005-05-10  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am running a fossil+venti on an AMD64 machine. After about 20 to 30
minutes the machine ceases to receive text or chording input but the
mouse cursor still moves and the stats display continues to run. Also,
I am unable to cpu to it.

Any suggestions for a fix?

Btw, I have rebooted the machine numerous times for troubleshooting. I
disabled cron once while troubleshooting but that didn't appear to be
the culprit.

If anyone has successfully installed Plan 9 with the fossil+venti
option please state an overview of the procedures that allowed for a
hassle free installation.

Here the standard steps taken:
1) started with the default fossil+venti option
2) modified fossil.conf (e.g, added -AWP)
3) reviewed plan9.ini to ensure a line was a venti line added.
4) reboot
5) login as glenda
6) modified /lib/ndb/local (i.e., added dns, dnsdomain, ip address,
name, netmask, cpu, fs, auth, ect...)
7) modified /rc/bin/cpurc (e.g. added devices, set IP address,
factotum, secstored, keyfs, /ndb/dns -r,  ect...)
8) added user...a new hostowner
9) modified /lib/ndb/auth
10) reboot
11) login as hostowner
12) replica/pull -v /dist/replica/network
13) stopped to fix this annoying problem that occurs every 20 to 30 minutes ;)

If I am forgetting something or doing something out of order, I'd like
to know. I've tried variations on my steps and even minimize the steps
but the results all lead to the same conclusion.

What really gets my goat is that this is my third machine that I've
attempted to get fossil+venti working correctly. All machines have the
same problem. I'm really thinking that it isn't an issue with hardware
but rather a missed step. If it turns out to be a hardware issue in
all 3 cases, then I am an unlucky guy.

-vester

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 server controls impaired and steps taken before
@ 2005-05-16  6:10 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-05-16  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi,

> I am not sure, but I am on Day 4 of the initial snap. I'm not sure how
> long I need to wait until I consider the current installation process
> a failure. Perhaps 12 more days of waiting and I'll call it quits.

My idea of working around this is taking the initial "snap -a" during
the installation.  I'm assuming you are installing from CD on sdD0 to
sdC0 with the default partition names.

1: finish the installation to where "Feel free to turn off your computer."
   message shows.

2: sweep a new window and follow the steps below.
	term% mount /srv/9660 /n/dist /dev/sdD0/data
	term% cd /n/dist/386/bin
	term% {echo srv -p fscons; ./fossil/conf /dev/sdC0/fossil} > /tmp/f
	term% ./venti/venti -c /dev/sdD0/arenas -a 'tcp!127.1!17034' -h 'tcp!127.1!8888'
	term% venti=tcp!127.1!17034
	term% ./fossil/fossil -c '. /tmp/f'
	term% ./con -l /srv/fscons
	prompt: fsys main snap -a
	  __wait until archive:.... shows__
	prompt: fsys all sync
	prompt: fsys all halt
	  __quits con__
	term% kill fossil | rc
	term% ./fossil/fossil -c '. /tmp/f'
	term% ./con -l /srv/fscons
	prompt: fsys main df
	  __ the usage should be low once archived to venti __
	prompt: fsys all sync
	prompt: fsys all halt
	  __ quit con __
	term% kill fossil | rc
	term% ./venti/sync

	<important>
	DON'T HIT delete key IN THIS WINDOW.   IT WILL KILL venti.
	</important>

3: you can check the progress of snapshoting in another window.
	term% mount /srv/9660 /n/dist /dev/sdD0/data
	term% cd /n/dist/386/bin
	term% telnet tcp!127.1!8888
	GET /storage
	  __venti usages shows__

This process could be migrated into the installation process or not.