* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 server controls impaired and steps taken before
@ 2005-05-16  6:10 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-05-16  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi,

> I am not sure, but I am on Day 4 of the initial snap. I'm not sure how
> long I need to wait until I consider the current installation process
> a failure. Perhaps 12 more days of waiting and I'll call it quits.

My idea of working around this is taking the initial "snap -a" during
the installation.  I'm assuming you are installing from CD on sdD0 to
sdC0 with the default partition names.

1: finish the installation to where "Feel free to turn off your computer."
   message shows.

2: sweep a new window and follow the steps below.
	term% mount /srv/9660 /n/dist /dev/sdD0/data
	term% cd /n/dist/386/bin
	term% {echo srv -p fscons; ./fossil/conf /dev/sdC0/fossil} > /tmp/f
	term% ./venti/venti -c /dev/sdD0/arenas -a 'tcp!127.1!17034' -h 'tcp!127.1!8888'
	term% venti=tcp!127.1!17034
	term% ./fossil/fossil -c '. /tmp/f'
	term% ./con -l /srv/fscons
	prompt: fsys main snap -a
	  __wait until archive:.... shows__
	prompt: fsys all sync
	prompt: fsys all halt
	  __quits con__
	term% kill fossil | rc
	term% ./fossil/fossil -c '. /tmp/f'
	term% ./con -l /srv/fscons
	prompt: fsys main df
	  __ the usage should be low once archived to venti __
	prompt: fsys all sync
	prompt: fsys all halt
	  __ quit con __
	term% kill fossil | rc
	term% ./venti/sync

	<important>
	DON'T HIT delete key IN THIS WINDOW.   IT WILL KILL venti.
	</important>

3: you can check the progress of snapshoting in another window.
	term% mount /srv/9660 /n/dist /dev/sdD0/data
	term% cd /n/dist/386/bin
	term% telnet tcp!127.1!8888
	GET /storage
	  __venti usages shows__

This process could be migrated into the installation process or not.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 server controls impaired and steps taken before failure.
@ 2005-05-10 21:28 Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2005-05-10 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrey mirtchovski, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

dma may be your friend.  it makes things 100 times quicker on fast machines.

brucee