* [9fans] p9p + devdraw
@ 2007-12-13  1:55 Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2007-12-13  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi folks,

I'd like to understand how devdraw works on plan9port.

AFAIK, libdraw spawns the devdraw server as subprocess and
talks to it via an pipe. But this means it's not network
transparent.

Is there any way for getting an network transparent
display server ?

thx
	http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] p9p + devdraw
@ 2007-12-14 17:42 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-12-14 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, 9fans

> I'd like to understand how devdraw works on plan9port.
>
> AFAIK, libdraw spawns the devdraw server as subprocess and
> talks to it via an pipe. But this means it's not network
> transparent.
>
> Is there any way for getting an network transparent
> display server ?

What does network-transparent mean?

If it means "emit curses codes so that everything works
inside your xterm" then sorry, that can't happen: they're
graphical interfaces.

If it means "if you're on some other machine and have
X forwarding set up right, then a new window pops up
on your screen" then devdraw *is* network transparent.

Either way, the situation is no different than if the programs
linked directly against the X library.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] p9p + devdraw
@ 2007-12-15  3:32   ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2007-12-15  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > Is there any way for getting an network transparent
> > display server ?
>
> What does network-transparent mean?
>
> If it means "emit curses codes so that everything works
> inside your xterm" then sorry, that can't happen: they're
> graphical interfaces.
>
> If it means "if you're on some other machine and have
> X forwarding set up right, then a new window pops up
> on your screen" then devdraw *is* network transparent.
>
> Either way, the situation is no different than if the programs
> linked directly against the X library.

I may be wrong but I think he was meaning to use a window (draw
rectangle...) from
another machine like when you run rio inside a window after cpuing to
a  cpu server
and the applications there are drawing here.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat