* [9fans] What about Haskell? [was: How can I use alef?]
@ 2008-11-20 16:56 Giacomo Tesio
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2008-11-20 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm completely new to Functional Languages (actually I'm not understanding
whether they are useful in real world, or just to enance ones mind).

But I'm studing Haskell, and I saw that it was ported to Plan 9.

Without starting a flame war, I'd like to know if some of you think it could
be useful on a Plan 9 grid/environment.

Giacomo
PS: stream of consciousness was: limbo -> erlang (which I took a look) ->
haskell

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Sergey Zhilkin <szhilkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/11/19 Nolan Hamilton <nolan.h.hamilton@gmail.com>
>
>> Can people still use Alef?, if so how can I get my hands on it.
>

> People use Limbo.

* Re: [9fans] What about Haskell? [was: How can I use alef?]
@ 2008-11-20 17:15 ` Roman Zhukov
From: Roman Zhukov @ 2008-11-20 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On my opinion, those "big" languages (haskell, erlang, lisp, etc.)
don't fit to Plan9 or any other os/environment, because they usually
provide their own.

--
Roma

* Re: [9fans] What about Haskell? [was: How can I use alef?]
@ 2008-11-20 17:23   ` matt
From: matt @ 2008-11-20 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> Without starting a flame war, I'd like to know if some of you think it could
>> be useful on a Plan 9 grid/environment.

I've often though quite a few languages could be shrunken down fit with
Plan9's diretory/files system. Python, for instance, would need much
less code for networking etc.

So a language that specialsed in I/O primitives would be a good choice.
That doesn't sound like Haskell to me. I/O is about changing state. That
said, there must be a way to make it fit :)

Of the few I have used, I think python is the best hybrid that fits.

* Re: [9fans] What about Haskell? [was: How can I use alef?]
@ 2008-11-20 18:41 ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2008-11-20 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Giacomo Tesio <giacomo@tesio.it> wrote:
> I'm completely new to Functional Languages (actually I'm not understanding
> whether they are useful in real world, or just to enance ones mind).
>
> But I'm studing Haskell, and I saw that it was ported to Plan 9.
>
> Without starting a flame war, I'd like to know if some of you think it could
> be useful on a Plan 9 grid/environment.
>

> Giacomo
> PS: stream of consciousness was: limbo -> erlang (which I took a look) ->
> haskell

Some time ago I ported gofer (a predecessor to haskell) to Plan 9 (APE) for
my use. I liked it because it was simpler than haskell. We used it for a while
in some autoconfiguration things in Plan B and I used it for math stuff
I was doing. If you are interested in getting it drop me a line.
--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] What about Haskell? [was: How can I use alef?]
@ 2008-11-20 19:42     ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2008-11-20 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 3:23 PM, matt <mattmobile@proweb.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Without starting a flame war, I'd like to know if some of you think it
>>> could
>>> be useful on a Plan 9 grid/environment.
>>>

> I've often though quite a few languages could be shrunken down fit with
> Plan9's diretory/files system. Python, for instance, would need much less
> code for networking etc.
>
> So a language that specialsed in I/O primitives would be a good choice. That
> doesn't sound like Haskell to me. I/O is about changing state. That said,
> there must be a way to make it fit :)
>
> Of the few I have used, I think python is the best hybrid that fits.

once in a while I play with fgb's port of tinyscheme and it seems to
fit for the pretty simple stuff I do. just for fun, I started adding
some Plan 9 native calls to tinyscheme and it worked nicely.

iru

* Re: [9fans] What about Haskell? [was: How can I use alef?]
@ 2008-11-20 20:47     ` John Barham
From: John Barham @ 2008-11-20 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I've often though quite a few languages could be shrunken down fit with
> Plan9's diretory/files system. Python, for instance, would need much less
> code for networking etc.
>
> So a language that specialsed in I/O primitives would be a good choice. That
> doesn't sound like Haskell to me. I/O is about changing state. That said,
> there must be a way to make it fit :)
>
> Of the few I have used, I think python is the best hybrid that fits.

Lua (http://www.lua.org/) is also a good choice as its standard
library is so minimalist that porting it is trivial.  IIRC there is an
APE port somewhere in contrib.

  John

* Re: [9fans] What about Haskell? [was: How can I use alef?]
@ 2008-11-20 22:13       ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2008-11-20 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yes, it's in nils contrib (noselasd)

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] What about Haskell? [was: How can I use alef?]
@ 2008-11-20 23:46         ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2008-11-20 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

in my contrib there is a more up-to-date lua port

--
iru

* Re: [9fans] What about Haskell? [was: How can I use alef?]
@ 2008-11-21  0:09       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2008-11-21  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Iruata Souza <iru.muzgo@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I've often though quite a few languages could be shrunken down fit with
> > Plan9's diretory/files system. Python, for instance, would need much less
> > code for networking etc.
> >
> > So a language that specialsed in I/O primitives would be a good choice.
> That
> > doesn't sound like Haskell to me. I/O is about changing state. That said,
> > there must be a way to make it fit :)
> >
> > Of the few I have used, I think python is the best hybrid that fits.
> >

> once in a while I play with fgb's port of tinyscheme and it seems to
> fit for the pretty simple stuff I do. just for fun, I started adding
> some Plan 9 native calls to tinyscheme and it worked nicely.
>
> iru

I've been doing a lot with both Haskell and Erlang these days...

I'm also impressed by the rich Haskell library and that the binaries, even
on linux, tend to only depend on libc once built for "deployment".  Well
that's true with GHC anyway, but porting GHC to Plan 9 might take a serious
step back in time to bootstrap the C sources all the way back up to the
current version.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] What about Haskell? [was: How can I use alef?]
@ 2008-11-21  4:11         ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2008-11-21  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 11/21/08, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I've often though quite a few languages could be shrunken down fit with
>> > Plan9's diretory/files system. Python, for instance, would need much
>> > less
>> > code for networking etc.
>> >
>> > So a language that specialsed in I/O primitives would be a good choice.
>> That
>> > doesn't sound like Haskell to me. I/O is about changing state. That
>> > said,
>> > there must be a way to make it fit :)
>> >
>> > Of the few I have used, I think python is the best hybrid that fits.
>> >

>> once in a while I play with fgb's port of tinyscheme and it seems to
>> fit for the pretty simple stuff I do. just for fun, I started adding
>> some Plan 9 native calls to tinyscheme and it worked nicely.
>>
>> iru
>>

> I've been doing a lot with both Haskell and Erlang these days...
>
> I'm also impressed by the rich Haskell library and that the binaries, even
> on linux, tend to only depend on libc once built for "deployment".  Well
> that's true with GHC anyway, but porting GHC to Plan 9 might take a serious
> step back in time to bootstrap the C sources all the way back up to the
> current version.
>
> Dave

what about nhc98?

--
http://www.fernski.com

* Re: [9fans] What about Haskell? [was: How can I use alef?]
@ 2008-11-21  4:18           ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-11-21  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think that with a bit more work, porting the Ocaml native compiler
to Plan 9 would give you a bigger benefit than GHC (which is unwieldy)
or an interpreter such as Hugs. Having a higher-level language in
which to write native applications will, perhaps, give more people a
viable reason to explore the system. Ocaml's compiler generates
high-quality, reasonably fast code and a native port effort would be
much less than the one for a similar Haskell compiler.

Just a thought.

* Re: [9fans] What about Haskell? [was: How can I use alef?]
@ 2008-11-21  5:33           ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2008-11-21  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Fernan Bolando <fernanbolando@mailc.net>wrote:

> On 11/21/08, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Iruata Souza <iru.muzgo@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> it

> with

> choice.
> >> That

> >> once in a while I play with fgb's port of tinyscheme and it seems to
> >> fit for the pretty simple stuff I do. just for fun, I started adding
> >> some Plan 9 native calls to tinyscheme and it worked nicely.
> >>
> >> iru
> >>

> > I've been doing a lot with both Haskell and Erlang these days...
> >
> > I'm also impressed by the rich Haskell library and that the binaries,
> even
> > on linux, tend to only depend on libc once built for "deployment".  Well
> > that's true with GHC anyway, but porting GHC to Plan 9 might take a
> serious
> > step back in time to bootstrap the C sources all the way back up to the
> > current version.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> what about nhc98?
>
> --
> http://www.fernski.com

Honestly I hadn't thought about that one too much, but I think that that'd
be fun to try.

* Re: [9fans] What about Haskell? [was: How can I use alef?]
@ 2008-11-21  5:34             ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2008-11-21  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs