* [9fans] aux/timesync -f fails
@ 2002-05-10  8:07 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-05-10  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

My old arrangement of synchronising the fileserver (with sntp) and then
setting the clock of the terminals from the fileserver root seems not to work
any more.

term% aux/timesync -f
term% aux/timesync: mounting /srv/boot: attach -- unknown user or failed authentication

The file server prints something including the words SUCK EGGS.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

* Re: [9fans] aux/timesync -f fails
@ 2002-05-10 10:42 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-05-10 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, that does it. Another nice fix would be to have an option to set the
stratum when an RTC is used.

At the moment it it is set to 0 (unsynchronized) which is quite understandable,
unless you have a different local mechanism to set the RTC, so that it is
actually trustworthy.

This is the case for my network, where I use a Rugby receiver to get the
time. I have added the following:

	case 'S':
		a = ARGF();
		if(a == nil)
			sysfatal("bad stratum specified");
		stratum = strtoll(a, 0, 0);
		break;

The details of the Rugby receiver code are in http://www.9fs.org/dist/arc.

So I run

aux/timesync -s /net -r -S1 on the cpu server

use the ipsntp stuff on the fileserver, and

aux/timesync -n on the terminals. aux/timesync -f would be fine too,
which CHF's fix.

Yes, I know this is less accurate that using an Internet time server, but it's
more fun.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3336 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 131 bytes --]

i suspect timesync needs to use amount.
try changing /sys/src/cmd/aux/timesync.c:270
		if(amount(fd, "/n/boot", MREPL, "") < 0)

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1658 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] aux/timesync -f fails
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 09:07:02 +0100

@ 2002-05-10  9:59 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-05-10  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i suspect timesync needs to use amount.
try changing /sys/src/cmd/aux/timesync.c:270
		if(amount(fd, "/n/boot", MREPL, "") < 0)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1658 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu