* Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
@ 2003-10-25 16:26 Anel Philippe
From: Anel Philippe @ 2003-10-25 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>did you install this over a previous installation? It
>>looks like it's
>>having the problem my install had of finding a kfs
>>partition instead of
>>the fossil partition.
>>
>>ron

No I didn't. I've installed this on a harddisk
I've previously formated.

It's seems there is a problem with the installation
cd.

At least, the system works perfectly when using the
default kernel (the one installed with the cd), but
I can't use the kernel I've compiled.

      Philippe,

Ps: To reproduce the problem:

1- install the cd (using text/instonly because
my radeon isn't supported yet :) ).
2- reboot
3- log as 'sys'
4- cd /sys/src/9/pc
5- mk 'CONF=pcf'
6- 9fat:
7- cp 9pcf /n/9fat/9pcf2
8- add bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcf2 to plan9.ini
9- reboot
10- use 9pcf2 kernel

ps2: I've also seen nearly the same problem
     when I tried to pull the latest sources.
     (ie though I'm using fossil, /srv/kfs
      where accessed)

* Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
@ 2003-10-25 16:27 ` ron minnich
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0310251024230.10808-100000@maxroach.lanl.gov >
From: ron minnich @ 2003-10-25 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Anel Philippe wrote:

> It's seems there is a problem with the installation
> cd.

I have not seen that. I have been installing a lot with that cd lately, as
I keep screwing up -- er, I mean, I keep learning by doing. My latest
install happened when I had it all working and ... the IBM travelstar died
(click .. click .. click .. click)

At this point I've made every possible mistake you can make on installs,
you betcha, and this is one problem I have not seen.

> I can't use the kernel I've compiled.

> 1- install the cd (using text/instonly because
> my radeon isn't supported yet :) ).
> 2- reboot
> 3- log as 'sys'
> 4- cd /sys/src/9/pc
> 5- mk 'CONF=pcf'
> 6- 9fat:
> 7- cp 9pcf /n/9fat/9pcf2
> 8- add bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcf2 to plan9.ini
> 9- reboot
> 10- use 9pcf2 kernel

Weird, I did exactly this step and it worked fine. I could send you the
pcf I have built to see if you have the same problem.

When you say 'clean install', what precisely was on that disk before you
did the install? and, did the install procedure ask you about writing the
MBR?

ron

* Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0310251024230.10808-100000@maxroach.lanl.gov >
@ 2003-10-25 16:52     ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2003-10-25 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 18:27 25/10/03, you wrote:
>On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Anel Philippe wrote:
>
> > It's seems there is a problem with the installation
> > cd.
>
>I have not seen that. I have been installing a lot with that cd lately, as
>I keep screwing up -- er, I mean, I keep learning by doing. My latest
>install happened when I had it all working and ... the IBM travelstar died
>(click .. click .. click .. click)

Same problem here with my 2 year old IBM 40GB disk (kfs).

>At this point I've made every possible mistake you can make on installs,
>you betcha, and this is one problem I have not seen.

Hehe ... Therefore, I suspect I have a bad karma :)

> > I can't use the kernel I've compiled.
>
> > 1- install the cd (using text/instonly because
> > my radeon isn't supported yet :) ).
> > 2- reboot
> > 3- log as 'sys'
> > 4- cd /sys/src/9/pc
> > 5- mk 'CONF=pcf'
> > 6- 9fat:
> > 7- cp 9pcf /n/9fat/9pcf2
> > 8- add bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcf2 to plan9.ini
> > 9- reboot
> > 10- use 9pcf2 kernel
>
>Weird, I did exactly this step and it worked fine. I could send you the
>pcf I have built to see if you have the same problem.

Ok. But the I really need to recompile the kernel.
I think I'll re-install a kfs based standalone terminal.

>When you say 'clean install', what precisely was on that disk before you
>did the install?

Err... Windows XP :)
Perhaps it not my bad karma's fault after all.

>and, did the install procedure ask you about writing the
>MBR?

Yes, but I didn't installed it because I'm using the FreeBSD multiboot mbr.

         Regards,
         Philippe.

* Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
@ 2003-10-25 16:59       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-10-25 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Philippe Anel wrote:

> I think I'll re-install a kfs based standalone terminal.

I wouldn't do that, stick with your work and get fossil going. It's worth
it, even with the occasional problems.

> >When you say 'clean install', what precisely was on that disk before you
> >did the install?
>
> Err... Windows XP :)
> Perhaps it not my bad karma's fault after all.

I had no luck getting the fossil cd working until I could do this:

cp /dev/zero /dev/sdC0/data

and just toast whatever was on there. That's what worked for me. I have no
idea what the implications of the multiboot mbr are for Plan 9 however.

good luck.

ron

* Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0310251024230.10808-100000@maxroach.lanl.gov >
@ 2003-10-25 17:06   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-10-25 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > 1- install the cd (using text/instonly because
> > my radeon isn't supported yet :) ).
> > 2- reboot
> > 3- log as 'sys'
> > 4- cd /sys/src/9/pc
> > 5- mk 'CONF=pcf'
> > 6- 9fat:
> > 7- cp 9pcf /n/9fat/9pcf2
> > 8- add bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcf2 to plan9.ini
> > 9- reboot
> > 10- use 9pcf2 kernel

if you run

	fossil/conf /dev/sdC0/fossil

what does it print?

* Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
@ 2003-10-25 17:42     ` Christian Grothaus
From: Christian Grothaus @ 2003-10-25 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry to intervene, this is not directly related to Philippe's
problem: I just did a fresh replica/pull from the sources and
tried to recompile the pcf kernel with
While trying to reproduce Philippe's problem with the pcf
kernel, I encountered another: After a fresh replica/pull
from the sources, I executed

    % cd /sys/src/9/pc
    % mk 'CONF=pcf' 9pcf

and mk stopped with the error

    8c -FVw -I. ../port/devtls.c
    ../port/devtls.c:1701 name not declared: encodefmt
    mk: 8c -FVw -I. ../port/devtls.c  : exit status=rc 39119: 8c 39121: error

. However, with the version of devtls.c from /n/dump/2003/1020/...
it compiles fine. (Or am I missing something, maybe another file
that didn't get updated during the pull?)

Thanks and greetings

Christian

* Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
@ 2003-10-25 17:48     ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2003-10-25 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 19:06 25/10/03, you wrote:
> > > 1- install the cd (using text/instonly because
> > > my radeon isn't supported yet :) ).
> > > 2- reboot
> > > 3- log as 'sys'
> > > 4- cd /sys/src/9/pc
> > > 5- mk 'CONF=pcf'
> > > 6- 9fat:
> > > 7- cp 9pcf /n/9fat/9pcf2
> > > 8- add bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcf2 to plan9.ini
> > > 9- reboot
> > > 10- use 9pcf2 kernel
>
>if you run
>
>         fossil/conf /dev/sdC0/fossil
>
>what does it print?

fsys main config /dev/sdC0/fossil
fsys main open -V -c 3000
# fsys main snaptime -a 0500

         Philippe.

* Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
@ 2003-10-25 18:22       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-10-25 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>     ../port/devtls.c:1701 name not declared: encodefmt

you need a new port/lib.h.  i just pushed it out.

* Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
@ 2003-10-26 19:37             ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2003-10-26 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 19:32 26/10/03, you wrote:
>"Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com> writes:
> > pull is hard-coded to run "9fs kfs".  really you should be using
> > dan cross's /dist/replica/dist, but i never remember how to do that.
> > instead you can just create a /srv/kfs that pull will be able
> > to mount (it doesn't see one so it starts kfs).
> >
> >       echo 1 >/srv/kfs </srv/boot
> >
> > should do the trick.
>
>It's called `inst', and while it's on sources, it never made it to the
>base distribution.  It is, however, pretty easy to use:
>
>         term% mount -c /srv/boot /n/inst
>         term% 9fs sources
>         term% cp /n/sources/plan9/dist/replica/inst /dist/replica
>         term% bind /n/sources/plan9 /n/dist
>         term% replica/pull -v /dist/replica/inst

It worked ! Thank you.

<snip>

>   After doing so, however, I'm a little dismayed
>about how much still depends on kfs, particularly the replica scripts
>under /dist/replica (and in individual package replica scripts).  It
>seems to me that if fossil is the way to go moving forward, it would
>behoove us to update the other parts of the system to treat it with a
>little more respect.  To that end, I like Andrey's modification that
>Ron just posted; it'll also work on fileservers and the like.  In
>short, we should be updating the system to be more general, not trying
>to fool things into looking vaguely like kfs so old tools will continue
>working.

I agree with you.

         Philippe,

* Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
@ 2003-10-26 18:32           ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-10-26 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com> writes:
> pull is hard-coded to run "9fs kfs".  really you should be using
> dan cross's /dist/replica/dist, but i never remember how to do that.
> instead you can just create a /srv/kfs that pull will be able
> to mount (it doesn't see one so it starts kfs).
>
> 	echo 1 >/srv/kfs </srv/boot
>
> should do the trick.

It's called `inst', and while it's on sources, it never made it to the
base distribution.  It is, however, pretty easy to use:

	term% mount -c /srv/boot /n/inst
	term% 9fs sources
	term% cp /n/sources/plan9/dist/replica/inst /dist/replica
	term% bind /n/sources/plan9 /n/dist
	term% replica/pull -v /dist/replica/inst

After my thinkpad died a horrible, gurgling death, I bought an iBook
running MacOS X.  When jmk updated the ethernet drivers such that
VirtualPC for the Mac worked (well, it already worked, but now the
network worked, too), I bought and installed VirtualPC.  It's quite
nice, if a little slow, and gave me an opportunity to jump from KFS to
fossil (which I did).  After doing so, however, I'm a little dismayed
about how much still depends on kfs, particularly the replica scripts
under /dist/replica (and in individual package replica scripts).  It
seems to me that if fossil is the way to go moving forward, it would
behoove us to update the other parts of the system to treat it with a
little more respect.  To that end, I like Andrey's modification that
Ron just posted; it'll also work on fileservers and the like.  In
short, we should be updating the system to be more general, not trying
to fool things into looking vaguely like kfs so old tools will continue
working.

As an aside, I also had an idea for /dist/replica/site, or
/dist/relica/site.local, which could be customized with a particular
site's localizations (applyopts and the like).  Then replica scripts
could `.' it, effectively customizing themselves for given site
configurations (the most obvious example would be doing things like
overriding default clientroot's).  I still think it's a good idea,
but it never took off.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
@ 2003-10-26 18:30           ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-10-26 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Andrey's changes:
>
> plan9-2% history -D /dist/replica/network
> Jul  4 13:19:30 MDT 2003 /dist/replica/network 466 [bootes]
> Jul  4 13:19:30 MDT 2003 /n/dump/2003/1009/dist/replica/network 466
> [bootes]
> /n/dump/2003/1009/dist/replica/network:13,15 c
> /n/dump/2003/0704/dist/replica/network:13,15
> < fn clientmount { 9fs boot }
> < c=/n/boot/dist/replica
> < clientroot=/n/boot
> ---
> > fn clientmount { 9fs kfs }
> > c=/n/kfs/dist/replica
> > clientroot=/n/kfs
> Oct 24 11:43:35 MDT 2002 /n/dump/2003/0704/dist/replica/network 463
> [bootes]
> plan9-2%

listen to ron.  my srv trick doesn't work for read/write srvs.
whoops.  i have a program called aux/repost somewhere but i can't find it.

* Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
@ 2003-10-26 18:26         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-10-26 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> At 00:18 26/10/03, you wrote:
> > > There is no connectlocalfossil() in my /sys/src/9/boot/local.c
> > > At least, I now understand why my kernel tries to boot using kfs :)
> >
> >The ISO on the web page is a little old.
> >You can either install with the bleeding-edge
> >ISO (on the updates page) or do a pull to bring
> >your system up-to-date.  With the new port/lib.h,
> >9pcf should build just fine.
> >
> >Russ
>
> I've just downloaded and configured the bleeding-edge ISO.
> When I tried to pull the latest sources :
>
> term% replica/pull -sv /dist/replica/network
> post...
>
> !Adding key: dom=outside.plan9.bell-labs.com proto=p9sk1
> user[sys]: xigh
> password:
> !
> kfs init 166: can't open /dev/sdC0/fs
> kfs 166: suicide: sys: trap: fault read addr=0x0 pc=0x0001d649
> mount: can't open /srv/kfs: '/srv/kfs' file does not exist
> clientmount: 9fs 164: mount 167: open
> term%
>
> what's wrong ?

pull is hard-coded to run "9fs kfs".  really you should be using
dan cross's /dist/replica/dist, but i never remember how to do that.
instead you can just create a /srv/kfs that pull will be able
to mount (it doesn't see one so it starts kfs).

	echo 1 >/srv/kfs </srv/boot

should do the trick.

russ

* Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
@ 2003-10-26 18:20         ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-10-26 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-10-26 18:09       ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2003-10-26 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 00:18 26/10/03, you wrote:
> > There is no connectlocalfossil() in my /sys/src/9/boot/local.c
> > At least, I now understand why my kernel tries to boot using kfs :)
>
>The ISO on the web page is a little old.
>You can either install with the bleeding-edge
>ISO (on the updates page) or do a pull to bring
>your system up-to-date.  With the new port/lib.h,
>9pcf should build just fine.
>
>Russ

I've just downloaded and configured the bleeding-edge ISO.
When I tried to pull the latest sources :

term% replica/pull -sv /dist/replica/network
post...

!Adding key: dom=outside.plan9.bell-labs.com proto=p9sk1
user[sys]: xigh
password:
!
kfs init 166: can't open /dev/sdC0/fs
kfs 166: suicide: sys: trap: fault read addr=0x0 pc=0x0001d649
mount: can't open /srv/kfs: '/srv/kfs' file does not exist
clientmount: 9fs 164: mount 167: open
term%

what's wrong ?

         Thanks,
         Philippe.

* Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
@ 2003-10-25 23:18     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-10-25 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-10-25 19:39   ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2003-10-25 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 20:27 25/10/03, you wrote:
>i'm not sure what's causing your problem.  put some print
>statements in /sys/src/9/boot/local.c's connectlocalfossil()
>to see which of the silent return -1s is firing.
>(they are silent so that if you're running kfs you don't
>get warnings about fossil not existing.)
>
>connectlocalfossil() has decided that this isn't a fossil
>system so it hands over the reins to kfs.
>
>russ

Hello,

There is no connectlocalfossil() in my /sys/src/9/boot/local.c
At least, I now understand why my kernel tries to boot using kfs :)

Should I have to download a new iso ? (I downloaded mine last week).

         Philippe,

* Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
@ 2003-10-25 18:27 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-10-25 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-10-25 14:27 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-10-25 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 xigh@free.fr wrote:

> 	I've just installed plan9 from the plan9.iso.bz2,
> configured a fossil based terminal, and tried to recompile the
> 'pcf' kernel, but it doesn't work at all.

did you install this over a previous installation? It looks like it's
having the problem my install had of finding a kfs partition instead of
the fossil partition.

ron

* [9fans] pcf config file ...
@ 2003-10-25  9:19 xigh
From: xigh @ 2003-10-25  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

	I've just installed plan9 from the plan9.iso.bz2,
configured a fossil based terminal, and tried to recompile the
'pcf' kernel, but it doesn't work at all.
	Where can I find the kernel config file used to compile
the 'pcf' kernel which is on the iso image ?

	Thank you,
	Philippe Anel.

Ps: I know I have to learn how to configure fossil+venti, but
    I'd rather release the radeon (laptop) driver before.

-----------------------------/sys/src/9/pc/pcf---------
boot boot #S/sdC0/
	il
	tcp
	local

bootdir
	bootpcf.out boot
	/386/bin/ip/ipconfig
	/386/bin/auth/factotum
	/386/bin/disk/kfs
	/386/bin/fossil/fossil
	/386/bin/venti/venti
-----------------------------/sys/src/9/pc/pcf---------

------------------------------normal-boot--------
1. sdC0!9fat!9pcf
2. sdC0!9fat!9pcf_radeon
3. none of the above
bootfile: 1
found 9pcf
.870083..........................................................................................................+1121644.........................................................................................................................................+90228=2081955
entry: 0x80100020

Plan 9
cpu0: 2290MHz GenuineIntel P4 (cpuid: AX 0x0F28 DX 0x3FEBFBFF)
ELCR: 0E00
#l0: AMD79C970: 10Mbps port 0x10C0 irq 11: 000C2990AF3D
#U/usb0: uhci: port 0x1060 irq 9
38953 free pages, 155812K bytes, 592612K swap
root is from (il, tcp, local)[local!#S/sdC0/fossil]:
user[none]: glenda
time...
fossil...dial net!$venti!venti: '/net/net/clone' file does not exist
version...time...

init: starting /bin/rc
dossrv: serving #s/dos
------------------------------normal-boot--------

------------------------recompiled-pcfl-boot-----
1. sdC0!9fat!9pcf
2. sdC0!9fat!9pcfati
3. none of the above
bootfile: 2
found 9pcfati
.871738..........................................................................................................+1137032...........................................................................................................................................+90236=2099006
entry: 0x80100020

Plan 9
cpu0: 2290MHz GenuineIntel P4 (cpuid: AX 0x0F28 DX 0x3FEBFBFF)
ELCR: 0E00
i8253enable...#l0: AMD79C970: 10Mbps port 0x10C0 irq 11: 000C2990AF3D
#U/usb0: uhci: port 0x1060 irq 9
38951 free pages, 155804K bytes, 592604K swap
root is from (il, tcp, local)[local!#S/sdC0/fossil]:
user[none]: glenda
kfs...File system main inconsistent
Would you like to ream it (y/n)? version...bad nvram key
bad authentication id
bad authentication domain
	tag = Tnone; expected Tdir; addr = 2
kfs init 7: FID1 attach to root
kfs 7: suicide: sys: trap: fault read addr=0x0 pc=0x0001d649
boot: can't init 9P: EOF receiving fversion reply
panic: boot process died: unknown
panic: boot process died: unknown
cpu0: exiting
------------------------recompiled-pcfl-boot-----

------------------------------plan9.ini----------
bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcf
bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcf_radeon

bootargs=local!#S/sdC0/fossil
bootdisk=local!#S/sdC0/fossil

*nomp=1
partition=new

console=0

mouseport=ps2
monitor=multisync110
vgasize=1024x768x32
------------------------------plan9.ini----------

* [9fans] pcf config file ...
@ 2003-10-25  9:17 Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2003-10-25  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

	I've just installed plan9 from the plan9.iso.bz2,
configured a fossil based terminal, and tried to recompile the
'pcf' kernel, but it doesn't work at all.
	Where can I find the kernel config file used to compile
the 'pcf' kernel which is on the iso image ?

	Thank you,
	Philippe Anel.

Ps: I know I have to learn how to configure fossil+venti, but
     I'd rather finish the radeon driver before.