* [9fans] sources flproto example still accurate
@ 2010-05-06  7:24 Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2010-05-06  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi all

Is this example from "man fossilcons" still accurate?

srv –p fscons.sources
srv –p fscons.sources.adduserd
srv sources
fsys main config /dev/sdC0/fossil.outside
fsys main open –c 25600
fsys main
users /active/adm/users
listen tcp!*!564
msg –m 40 –p 10
snaptime –a 0000 –s 15

I am trying to figure out why I can mount sources, but not my local
cpu/auth/fileserver into my mac os x computer.

regards
fernan

--
http://www.fernski.com

* Re: [9fans] sources flproto example still accurate
@ 2010-05-06 10:32 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2010-05-06 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

> snaptime –a 0000 –s 15

I would not reccomend -s 15 for now, there appears to be a bug in fossil
where it can deadlock itself somtimes - My home server used to lock up
once every few weeks, after disabling snapshots it has been fine.

I do still do nightly dumps to venti however, that part of the system
is absolutely fine.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] sources flproto example still accurate
@ 2010-05-06 11:45   ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2010-05-06 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Simon; +Cc: 9fans

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>> snaptime –a 0000 –s 15
>
> I would not reccomend -s 15 for now, there appears to be a bug in fossil
> where it can deadlock itself somtimes - My home server used to lock up
> once every few weeks, after disabling snapshots it has been fine.
>
> I do still do nightly dumps to venti however, that part of the system
> is absolutely fine.
>
> -Steve

Thanks, However it seems my problem is not my flproto

if I try to mount the plan9 system without using srv -a I will get
$ 9 mount thinktank /tmp/c
top level name fuse in fuse.version is invalid
top level name macfuse in macfuse.version.number is invalid
9pfuse: fsmount: cannot attach as none before authentication

if I try to use srv -a I get
$ srv -a thinktank
!adding key: role=client proto=p9sk1 dom=fernan.net
user[fernan]: fernan

and it stays there forever. without asking me for my password. Any
ideas what I did wrong

--

@ 2010-05-06 12:11     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2010-05-06 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

is auth negotiation supported in p9p?

@ 2010-05-06 14:55       ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2010-05-06 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
> is auth negotiation supported in p9p?

>>> I would not reccomend -s 15 for now, there appears to be a bug in fossil
>>> where it can deadlock itself somtimes - My home server used to lock up
>>> once every few weeks, after disabling snapshots it has been fine.
>>>
>>> I do still do nightly dumps to venti however, that part of the system
>>> is absolutely fine.
>>>
>>> -Steve
>>>

>> Thanks, However it seems my problem is not my flproto
>>
>> if I try to mount the plan9 system without using srv -a I will get
>> $ 9 mount thinktank /tmp/c
>> top level name fuse in fuse.version is invalid
>> top level name macfuse in macfuse.version.number is invalid
>> 9pfuse: fsmount: cannot attach as none before authentication
>>
>> if I try to use srv -a I get
>> $ srv -a thinktank
>> !adding key: role=client proto=p9sk1 dom=fernan.net
>> user[fernan]: fernan
>>

>> and it stays there forever. without asking me for my password. Any
>> ideas what I did wrong

I dont know, but what is wrong with my configuration if I can mount
sources like unauthenticated...
mac0:~ fernan$ srv sources.cs.bell-labs.com sources
mac0:~ fernan$ mkdir ./tmp/c
mac0:~ fernan$ 9 mount `namespace`/sources ./tmp/c
top level name fuse in fuse.version is invalid
mac0:~ fernan$ lc ./tmp/c
9grid   adm     contrib dist    extra   lsr     patch   plan9   wiki    xen
mac0:~ fernan$

....but not my cpu server???

fernan

--

@ 2010-05-06 15:00         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-06 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

> I dont know, but what is wrong with my configuration if I can mount
> sources like unauthenticated...
> mac0:~ fernan$ srv sources.cs.bell-labs.com sources
> mac0:~ fernan$ mkdir ./tmp/c
> mac0:~ fernan$ 9 mount `namespace`/sources ./tmp/c
> top level name fuse in fuse.version is invalid
> mac0:~ fernan$ lc ./tmp/c
> 9grid   adm     contrib dist    extra   lsr     patch   plan9   wiki    xen
> mac0:~ fernan$
>
> ....but not my cpu server???

i'm confused.  your previous post had "srv -a".  i
thought unauthenticated was "srv -A".

you may also need -N.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] sources flproto example still accurate
@ 2010-05-06 15:30           ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2010-05-06 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:00 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> I dont know, but what is wrong with my configuration if I can mount
>> sources like unauthenticated...
>> mac0:~ fernan$ srv sources.cs.bell-labs.com sources
>> mac0:~ fernan$ mkdir ./tmp/c
>> mac0:~ fernan$ 9 mount `namespace`/sources ./tmp/c
>> top level name fuse in fuse.version is invalid
>> mac0:~ fernan$ lc ./tmp/c
>> 9grid   adm     contrib dist    extra   lsr     patch   plan9   wiki    xen
>> mac0:~ fernan$
>>
>> ....but not my cpu server???
>
> i'm confused.  your previous post had "srv -a".  i
> thought unauthenticated was "srv -A".
>
> you may also need -N.
>
> - erik

sorry for the confusion. I initially tried to mount my cpu server using
mac0:~ fernan$ srv thinktank tt
mac0:~ fernan$ 9 mount `namespace`/tt ./tmp/g
top level name fuse in fuse.version is invalid
9pfuse: fsmount: cannot attach as none before authentication

man srv yields
SYNOPSIS
 srv [ -an ] [ -k keypattern ] address [ srvname ]

" The -a option causes srv to post a pre-authenticated connec-
          tion to the file system aname (by default, the empty string;
          see attach(9p))."

...which led me to believe I needed to do an pre-authenticated
connection, but as Skip pointed might not be possible if p9p is
capable of doing authentication. This then led to the question "What
do I need to do to allow me mount my cpu server the same way as I can
mount sources?"

fernan

--

@ 2010-05-06 15:42             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-06 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

On Thu May  6 11:31:49 EDT 2010, fernanbolando@mailc.net wrote:
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:00 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> >> I dont know, but what is wrong with my configuration if I can mount
> >> sources like unauthenticated...
> >> mac0:~ fernan$ srv sources.cs.bell-labs.com sources
> >> mac0:~ fernan$ mkdir ./tmp/c
> >> mac0:~ fernan$ 9 mount `namespace`/sources ./tmp/c
> >> top level name fuse in fuse.version is invalid
> >> mac0:~ fernan$ lc ./tmp/c
> >> 9grid   adm     contrib dist    extra   lsr     patch   plan9   wiki    xen
> >> mac0:~ fernan$
> >>
> >> ....but not my cpu server???
> >
> > i'm confused.  your previous post had "srv -a".  i
> > thought unauthenticated was "srv -A".
> >
> > you may also need -N.
> >
> > - erik

[...]
> man srv yields
> SYNOPSIS
>  srv [ -an ] [ -k keypattern ] address [ srvname ]

i see now you were talking about p9p srv(4) not fossilcons(8)
srv.  sorry.

the difference with sources is sources allows attach as none.
i think you'll need to enable this with your listen via the
fossil console.

- erik

ps.  9fans.net/archive seems to be having a problem.
http://9fans.net/archive/2010/05/151 has turned '-' into
u+0096 (start of guarded area).  i no longer have the
original email, but it appeared normal when i read it.

* Re: [9fans] sources flproto example still accurate
@ 2010-05-06 16:36             ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2010-05-06 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

--- On Thu, 5/6/10, Fernan Bolando <fernanbolando@mailc.net> wrote:

> ...which led me to believe I needed to do an
> pre-authenticated
> connection, but as Skip pointed might not be possible if
> p9p is
> capable of doing authentication.

I'm pretty sure it is as long as you have the auth
server configured and you have factotum running.
I don't have my machine up at the moment, but I
do have that kind of connection as part of my login
script on FreeBSD using p9p.

BLS