* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-24  6:26 YAMANASHI Takeshi
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-12-24  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > cpu0: 735MHz GenuineIntel PentiumPro (cpuid: AX 0x0613 DX 0xA1BD)

A native p9 cpu server running on the identical hardware gives:

	cpu0: 737MHz GenuineIntel PentiumIII/Xeon (cpuid: AX 0x0686 DX 0x387F9FF)
	#l0: i82557: 100Mbps port 0xBC00 irq 5: 0040CA96806F

> > #l0: NE2000: 10Mbps port 0xC100 irq 9 addr 0x4000 size 0x4000: 525400123456

I'm not sure what wire speeds mean in virtual NICs. :)

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-24  6:43 ` Bruce Ellis
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2004-12-24  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Did I miss the qemu post that says how to invoke qemu with plan9?
I guess more specifically what do I use for the image file?
If it's simply the floppy image, which russ' message might seem
to imply, then I'll go back to sleep.

Hope you all had a good Solstice.

brucee

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-24  6:55   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-12-24  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ellis, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

you can use

qemu -cdrom plan9.iso -hda big-empty-file -boot d

to boot the install cd and then install onto the big
empty file.  but a real hard disk image would work
just as well.

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:43:39 +1100, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did I miss the qemu post that says how to invoke qemu with plan9?
> I guess more specifically what do I use for the image file?
> If it's simply the floppy image, which russ' message might seem
> to imply, then I'll go back to sleep.
>
> Hope you all had a good Solstice.
>
> brucee

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-24 13:02     ` Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-12-24 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I tried the QEmu on Windows XP, and it totally fucked up my Plan 9
.iso image. It seems to overwrite random sectors. Has anybody else
seen this happen?

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-24 17:23       ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2004-12-24 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:02:53 +0200, Tiit Lankots <t.lankots@aprote.ee> wrote:
> I tried the QEmu on Windows XP, and it totally fucked up my Plan 9
> .iso image. It seems to overwrite random sectors. Has anybody else
> seen this happen?

Never.  It usually seems very stable (but slow) for me.

Which options did you use when launching qemu?

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-25 18:14 ` Tiit Lankots
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-12-25 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

SIDS victim, cleaned
½ cup cooking oil
Carrots
onions
broccoli
whole cabbage
fresh green beans
potato
turnip
celery
tomato
½ stick butter
1 cup cooked pasta (macaroni, shells, etc.)

Remove as much meat as possible, cube, and brown in hot oil.
Add a little water, season, then add the carcass.
Simmer for half an hour keeping the stock thick.
Remove the carcass and add the vegetables slowly to the stock,
   so that it remains boiling the whole time.
Cover the pot and simmer till vegetables are tender
   (2 hours approximately).
Continue seasoning to taste.
Before serving, add butter and pasta,
   serve piping with hot bread and butter.

Offspring Rolls

Similar to Vietnamese style fried rolls, they have lots of meat
(of course this can consist of chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp).
Who can resist this classic appetizer; or light lunch served with
a fresh salad? Versatility is probably this recipe?s greatest virtue,
as one can use the best part of a prime, rare, yearling, or the
morticians occasional horror: a small miracle stopped short by a
drunk driver, or the innocent victim of a drive-by shooting...

2 cups finely chopped very young human flesh
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 cup bean sprouts
5 sprigs green onion, finely chopped
5 cloves minced garlic
4-6 ounces bamboo shoots
Sherry

* Re: Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-25 19:38 ` YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-12-25 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

baking pan, place a layer of gravy,
   then one of meat, gravy, and cheese.
Another layer each of meat, gravy, and cheese.
Then bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
Serve on hot pasta with romano cheese.

Southern Fried Small-fry

Tastes like fried chicken, which works just as well.
In fact you may want to practice cutting up whole chickens
for frying before you go for the real thing.
Whole chicken is much more efficient and inexpensive than buying pieces.

1 tiny human, cut into pieces
2 cups flour
Onion, garlic
Salt
pepper
garlic powder
cayenne pepper
hot sauce, etc.
Oil for frying

Mix milk, eggs, hot sauce in a bowl, add chopped onion and garlic.
Season the meat liberally, and marinate for several hours.
Place seasoned flour in a paper or plastic shopping bag,
   drop pieces in a few a time, shake to coat thoroughly,
   then deep fry in hot oil (350°) for about 15 minutes.
Drain and place on paper towels.

Miscarriage with Mustard Greens

Why waste it? Otherwise, and in general, use ham or salt pork to season greens.
The technique of smothering greens can be used with many vegetables;
green beans work especially well. Meat is not necessary every day, don?t
be afraid to alter any dish to vegetarian tastes.

1 premature baby, born dead
Large bunch of mustard greens
2 white onions, 1 cup chopped celery
Vegetable oil (or hog fat)
Salt, pepper, garlic, etc.

Lightly brown onions, celery, garlic and meat in large heavy pot.
Add a little water and the greens (which should be thoroughly cleaned and washed).
Smother slowly for at least 2 hours, adding small amounts of water
   when it starts to stick.
Stir frequently.
When ready - serve with rice, grilled smoked sausage, green salad, and iced tea.

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-25 19:38 ` Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-12-25 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

will need one for the top also).
Boil the prepared delicacy until the meat starts to come off the bones.
Remove, de-bone and cube; continue to reduce the broth.
Brown the onions, peppers and celery.
Add the meat then season, continue browning.
De-glaze with sherry, add the reduced broth.
Finally, put in the root vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly.
Place the pie pan in 375 degree oven for a few minutes so bottom crust is not soggy,
   reduce oven to 325.
Fill the pie with stew, place top crust and with a fork, seal the crusts together
   then poke holes in top.
Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown.

Sudden Infant Death Soup

SIDS: delicious in winter, comparable to old fashioned Beef and Vegetable Soup.
Its free, you can sell the crib, baby clothes, toys, stroller... and so easy to
procure if such a lucky find is at hand (just pick him up from the crib and
he?s good to go)!

[...]

                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-25 21:06 ` YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-12-25 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

fit in the grinder.
Run the meat through using a 3/16 grinding plate.
Add garlic, onions and seasoning then mix well.
Add just enough water for a smooth consistency, then mix again.
Form the sausage mixture into patties or stuff into natural casings.

Stillborn Stew

By definition, this meat cannot be had altogether fresh,
but have the lifeless unfortunate available immediately after delivery,
or use high quality beef or pork roasts (it is cheaper and better to
cut up a whole roast than to buy stew meat).

1 stillbirth, de-boned and cubed
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 large onions
bell pepper
celery
garlic
½ cup red wine
3 Irish potatoes
2 large carrots

This is a simple classic stew that makes natural gravy,
thus it does not have to be thickened.
Brown the meat quickly in very hot oil, remove and set aside.
Brown the onions, celery, pepper and garlic.
De-glaze with wine, return meat to the pan and season well.
Stew on low fire adding small amounts of water and
   seasoning as necessary.
After at least half an hour, add the carrots and potatoes,
   and simmer till root v

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-27  9:34         ` Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-12-27  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Johnson, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Never.  It usually seems very stable (but slow) for me.

qemu -L . -m 128 -hda c:/path/to/disk/image -cdrom c:/path/to/iso/image
-localtime -boot d

Oh, and it ignores disk images in the qcow format.
The problem is 100% reproducible.

* Re: Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-25 22:52 ` YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-12-25 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

can be found under a cabbage leaf -
or one can arrange for ground beef to be found there instead.

8 large cabbage leaves
1 lb. lean ground newborn human filets, or ground chuck
Onions
peppers
celery
garlic
soy sauce
salt pepper, etc
Olive oil
breadcrumbs
Tomato Gravy (see index)

Boil the cabbage leaves for 2 minutes to soften.
In skillet, brown the meat in a little olive oil,
   then add onions, peppers, and celery (all chopped finely)
   and season well.
Place in a large bowl and cool.
Add seasoned breadcrumbs and a little of the tomato gravy,
   enough to make the mixture pliable.
Divide the stuffing among the cabbage leaves then roll.
Place seam down in a baking pan.
Ladle tomato gravy on top,
   and bake at 325° for 30 - 45 minutes.

Umbilical Cordon Bleu

Nothing is so beautiful as the bond between mother and child,
so why not consume it?
Children or chicken breasts will work wonderfully also.

4 whole umbilical chords (or baby breasts, or chicken breasts)
4 thin slices of smoked ham, and Gruyere cheese
Flour
eggwash (milk and eggs)
seasoned bread crumbs
1 onion
minced
salt
pepper
butter
olive oil

Pound the breasts flat (parboil first if using umbilical
   cords so they won?t be tough).
Place a slice of ham and cheese on each, along with some minced onion
   then fold in half, trimming neatly.
Dredge in flour, eggwash, then seasoned breadcrumbs;
   allow to sit for a few minutes.
Sauté in butter and olive oil until golden brown,
   about 6 minutes on each side.

* Re: Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-25 21:09 ` YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-12-25 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

with spinach salad, macaroni and cheese (homemade) and iced tea...

Spaghetti with Real Italian Meatballs

If you don?t have an expendable bambino on hand,
you can use a pound of ground pork instead.
The secret to great meatballs, is to use very lean meat.

1 lb. ground flesh; human or pork
3 lb. ground beef
1 cup finely chopped onions
7 - 12 cloves garlic
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
½ cup milk, 2 eggs
Oregano
basil
salt
pepper
Italian seasoning, etc.
Tomato gravy (see index)
Fresh or at least freshly cooked spaghetti or other pasta

Mix the ground meats together in a large bowl,
   then mix each of the other ingredients.
Make balls about the size of a baby?s fist
   (there should be one lying around for reference).
Bake at 400°for about 25 minutes -
   or you could fry them in olive oil.
Place the meatballs in the tomato gravy, and simmer for several hours.
Serve on spaghetti.
Accompany with green salad, garlic bread and red wine.

Newborn Parmesan

This classic Sicilian cuisine can easily be turned into Eggplant Parmesan
If you are planning a vegetarian meal. Or you could just as well use veal -
after all, you have to be careful - Sicilians are touchy about their young
family members...

6 newborn or veal cutlets
Tomato gravy (see index)
4 cups mozzarella, 1cup parmesan, 1cup romano
Seasoned bread crumbs  mixed with
   parmesan
   romano
   salt
   pepper
   oregano
   garlic powder
   chopped parsley
Flour
eggwash (eggs and milk)
Peanut oil for frying.

Pound the cutlets.
Dredge in flour, eggs, then the bread crumb mixture.
Fry till golden brown in 350° peanut oil.
In a baking pan, place a layer of gravy,

@ 2004-12-25 20:24 ` YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-12-25 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

in hot oil for till brown - about 1 minute, remove.
   Stir-fry the vegetables.
   Put the meat back into the wok and adjust the seasoning.
   De-glaze with sherry, cooking off the alcohol.
   Add broth (optional) cook a few more minutes.
   Add the cornstarch, cook a few minutes till thick,
      then place the stuffing into a colander and cool;
   2 hours
Wrap the rolls:
   Place 3 tablespoons of stuffing in the wrap, roll tightly -
      corner nearest you first, fold 2 side corners in,
      wrap till remaining corner is left.
   Brush with egg, seal, and allow to sit on the seal for
   a few minutes.
Fry the rolls:
   325° if using egg roll wraps, 350° for spring roll wraps.
   Deep fry in peanut oil till crispy golden brown, drain on paper towels.

Lemon Neonate

Turkey serves just as well, and in fact even looks a bit like a
well-dressed baby. By the time you turn the child?s breast into
cutlets, it will be indistinguishable. The taste of young human,
although similar to turkey (and chicken) often can be wildly
different depending upon what he or she has consumed during its
10 to 14 months of life...

4 well chosen cutlets (from the breasts of 2 he

* Re: Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-25 18:34 ` YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-12-25 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans